doogan88

GAS and HEATING Engineer

hello folks,

Thinking about making the big leap to Oz on a 1 year work visa to get a taste for it! Back in the UK I am a fully qualified commercial and domestic Gas and Heating engineer, and I am a Mechanical onsite foreman for my company. basically I was wondering if anyone knows anything about our qualifications being recognised out in Australia??

And if anyone is working out there with similar qualifactions?

Cheers Chris

Hi mate,

Uk qualifications mean nothing in oz.

you have to be assessed through vetassess and get your overseas licence.

then once in Australa do a gap training course to allow you to wrk as a plumber

im like most uk plumbers/ gas fitters am qualified to the eye balls, we've all got to be .

look on seek jobsite and you'll also find that most employers want min 5 year WA experience as well ( that's if your looking at WA)

Good luck

ian

IELTS 16/09/11 W 7.5, R 8.0, S 9.0, L 7.5. Vetassess paperwork 25/10/11,vetassess level 1 02/12/11, vetassess pract 25/2/12, passed 03/03/12, WA SS 19/03/12, WA SS granted 21/03/12, visa app lodged 30/03/12, Meds 29/05/12, VISA GRANTED 27/06/12, flights booked 25/01/13

Guest andyNnat
hello folks,

Thinking about making the big leap to Oz on a 1 year work visa to get a taste for it! Back in the UK I am a fully qualified commercial and domestic Gas and Heating engineer, and I am a Mechanical onsite foreman for my company. basically I was wondering if anyone knows anything about our qualifications being recognised out in Australia??

And if anyone is working out there with similar qualifactions?

Cheers Chris

hi there your biggest hurdle will be registering for a licence see here! http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energysafety/Content/Licensing/Gas_workers/Licensing_of_gas_fitters.html

i am also gas safe and previously corgi since 94 with citb qualifications but australia dont recognise our qualifications the nearest they come to it is an apprenticeship with british gas

another option might be to go on a 457 visa (sponsored by the employer)

good luck

Guest sophyjosh

My hubby is in this field of work, does any body no if a company would employ him, while he does his gap training?

Hi guys,

I've been I touch with a plumber in Perth and the energy safety ( gas safe in oz) .

plumbing wise it's a 2 week course with its of around $ 400 for books etc

gas : guy from the energy safety said that some of our elements like CCN 1 etc may be transferable , he Said that he would need to know what other uk qualifications we have, ie city and guilds, nvq's

I would definitely go down vetasses oute though

Hope this helps

Ian

IELTS 16/09/11 W 7.5, R 8.0, S 9.0, L 7.5. Vetassess paperwork 25/10/11,vetassess level 1 02/12/11, vetassess pract 25/2/12, passed 03/03/12, WA SS 19/03/12, WA SS granted 21/03/12, visa app lodged 30/03/12, Meds 29/05/12, VISA GRANTED 27/06/12, flights booked 25/01/13

cheers ian is this Vetassess the body for gas and pluming in Oz and willi be able to send over my certs to see if they recognise them?

cheers ian is this Vetassess the body for gas and pluming in Oz and willi be able to send over my certs to see if they recognise them?

Hi,

no mate, they are just the asscessment body which I think is now merging with the TRN.

energy safe is the same as our gas safe and I'm going to Perth so will have o get a WA plumbing licence.

vetassses just get you your overseas licence

Cheers

ian

did any of yous make the move ?? i am heading to Melbourne next year really hard to get any info on jobs or getting my qualifications transferred i am a British gas engineer and have been for 14 years its a nightmare !!!!!

Don't forget to contact me Neil when you have a date you are coming over

If you come in June it will be winter here and trust me it gets cold not as cold you are used to but not holiday weather try and come over before March to get some decent weather

Clarke9876. Defo will contact you as soon as I get our dates sorted hopefully you can help me in the right direction with work

thanks

Don't forget to contact me Neil when you have a date you are coming over

If you come in June it will be winter here and trust me it gets cold not as cold you are used to but not holiday weather try and come over before March to get some decent weather

Hi clarke9876

things starting to move along now thank god! case officer assigned, medicals done and police checks done, fingers crossed visa granted b4 xmas :biggrin: just need to save like mad so working everyday British Gas have to offer so we have enough $$$$$$$ where are yous based ?? If there were any positions within your company I would need to start looking into areas and schools for the kids ect

Visa now granted flights booked 16th June next year just need somewhere to live now and a job :biggrin:

So whats the process then say from start to finish?

Lets say, I start a gas engineer course, on monday, what would be the process to get onto AUS?

I was told 3 years experience (starting from monday?)..but does that mean, 40hrs per week for 3 years or? do you need references or what if your self employed and only working 20prs etc?

(Could start my own own, but I thought it be better as it was more relevant here..)

Cheers

Edited by Chris Howitt

hi neil, im a british gas engineer with 12 years experience. thinking of moving to melbourne area just starting my visa application.

Just wondered if you made the move and if so how you've got on as its really hard finding info on gas fitter jobs.

cheers, kirk.