Warning for first time renters in oz....

mx44

Guest Guest31881
Also remember the RTA (Qld) are VERY good with advice and more often than not are on the tenants side, so its always worth contacting them for advice at the first sign of a problem. Each state has their own set up.

Cal x

I used the RTA (Queensland) When I broke lease a couple of years ago, They gave me advice about how to word my notice to leave and what to say to the agent if they became a problem. They gave me the paperwork to appeal for my bond if that needed doing. They also Informed me of the maximum amount the agents could charge for having to re-advertise and arrange viewings.

We were lucky when the owner found out we were leaving he told the agent it was fine and he would not hold us to the remaining rent if it failed to let.... Also brought us a couple of fresh Mud crabs the day we left and wished us well. Now that was a good landlord... Not all are out for every penny and I am know the members here who are also landlords have a good name amongst the members who have used them..

Eeek! What did you do to the place? :o)

really kelly ....did u wreck the place lol .....that sounds way of ....id be contesting that one !!!!

mrs keily

:laugh: Actually we really looked after the place!

Its a case of the estate agents taking the p*ss!

Id hazard a guess with a figure that big and only being there a month that she was tied into a 6mth lease so on breaking it, had penalities,fees and rent to pay.

Cal x

This is correct Cal ~ there were various charges for small repiars (to things that we didnt break I may add) retic repairs! (we were only there 1 month!)

the biggest fee was $900 'sundries: pro rata leasing fee ~ break lease tenant' (I dont really know what this is?)

:unsure:

However it seems unfair, as I found them a new tenant & they moved in 2 days after we vacated, so no out of pocket for them!

We have only lived in one rental in Australia, and the agents/landlord did try to keep some of our bond after we had left. However, I had taken a whole heap of photos when we first moved in, and I had provided those to the agent along with an amended property condition report or whatever it was called, detailing each and every mark on the carpet and walls, the fact that the curtains in the bedroom had mildew marks, that there were weeds in the flower beds and that the kitchen was filthy (including inside the oven). When we moved out we had the carpets cleaned and then house professionally cleaned (plus we did loads of things ourselves), but they wanted various things doing such as having the carpet de-flead (apparently because we had children, we had no pets!!!) and saying that we had part painted the walls and that the place would need decorating! The fact was, lots of the walls were part painted in one colour and part in another, and we had taken photos to prove it.

In the end we got our full deposit back after giving them copies of the receipts for cleaning etc.

• 2 weeks later...