Policing in Oz

Guest AlesianLeighValentine

Guest AlesianLeighValentine
I did a quick google search and it says that many British police quit after a short while, so the international recruitment drives have been shelved.

Yeah i have seen that also, but Oz recruits still have a massive shortfall so hopefully will have to do an international recruitment to fill the numbers.

I have been informed that the SAPOL international recruitment drive has been every year since 2005, not yet in 2012 as in JULY the commissioner is changing? So to keep an eye out then.

Guest david wise

HI Guys

keep the faith and keep trying were flying out shortly after two years of paper work just when ya think it wont happen it's game on, best of luck to you all

dave

A lot of people went into the UK police to have a career for life. Little did they know about the looming redunancies, the benefits being taken away and the fact it was going to be so much harder. They have also reduced officers powers and upped the paperwork meaning the job has changed to an extent where people are wanting to leave. I would say the worst culprits are those who take gov funding for say nursing, then leave the uk.

Its a well known fact the aussies are getting fed up with us "poms" moving over however most of their ideas are based on "the bad poms" the ones who constantly moan about the heat etc. There are a few good poms over there and I hope they eventually out-weigh the bad.

Hi

My husband is hoping to transfer and has been keeping an eye on the police recruitment. Victoria recruited last year and you can send them an email and they will let you know if/when they are recruiting internationally again this year. Also Queensland are running PACE again, though at present for police already with residency, however it is only a matter of time before they recruit internationally as they can't meet their quota.

Hope that helps!

This info is wrong. QLD police is not running PACE again and are unlikely to be ever.

JOHN

This info is wrong. QLD police is not running PACE again and are unlikely to be ever.

JOHN

According to their website they are and you can register your interest;

' The QPS is recruiting for future intakes of its PACE program '

However like I said previously;

' While overseas officers are welcome to apply, the QPS is not able to sponsor international applicants '

Not quite sure where you found that page as it may be an old one that has not been deleted yet. If you take a look at http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/ which is the police recruiting site, there is no mention of PACE. I went back to the academy a few weeks ago for a course and was told that PACE will definitely not be happening again as they have had a few dramas and ex coppers who want to join are going through the PROVE program the same as everyone else (which is saving them money). I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone got excited and were going to wait for PACE.

JOHN

I worked for a police service here in oz and used to sit in on the monthly meetings to review officers on long-term sick leave. Unfortunately 're-treads', whether they be from the UK or even from a different states, were disproportionately represented. They developed a reputation for being disgruntled with how things were being done and suddenly realising that everything had been fabulous in their previous state/country. This then lead to the sick leave and a bad rep.

It's very unfortunate as the ones that have done this have made it much harder for those now wanting to come. One Assistant Commissioner in charge of a region in Queensland was refusing to accept re-treads and his area was a popular enough destination with local coppers that he didn't have to. Once enough AC's start making these decisions, re-tread recruitment becomes thin on the ground.

Not quite sure where you found that page as it may be an old one that has not been deleted yet. If you take a look at http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/ which is the police recruiting site, there is no mention of PACE. I went back to the academy a few weeks ago for a course and was told that PACE will definitely not be happening again as they have had a few dramas and ex coppers who want to join are going through the PROVE program the same as everyone else (which is saving them money). I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone got excited and were going to wait for PACE.

JOHN

John,

For info, QLDPOL are advertising for future PACE intakes, as below. They are not offering sponsorship. This has been confirmed via email.

http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/alternativeEntry/PACE.htm

Peach:

The officer in that inaccurately captioned Daily Mail photo is not Special Forces. He is from one of the Met's Operations teams. He is wearing a flash hood for two reasons: to stop his hair being set on fire when flash bangs are used in a confined space, and to conceal his identity. This is done because during incidents such as this it is certain he will be photographed. The officer has every right to make efforts to prevent his neighbours finding out what he does for a job. Not everyone lives in suburban paradise where the neighbours or friends of neighbours etc are pro-police and friendly.

Hope this puts an end to this part of the discussion so we can all get back on track.

I am now fully aware that the only way for me and my family to move to Oz is via a police Uk recruitment drive as my wife and I both have jobs not on the skilled list. I have been informed about some sort of 'international transferee course' early part of next year. I wondered if anyone else had heard anything about this or heard of something similar and knows any actual details?

Just hoping any sort of UK recruitment drive is soon!!

You are probably already a member of the following forum but just in case here it is,

http://www.police-forum.com/

It has been going for a number of years and is made up of UK and Irish Police Officers who have made the move or are in the process.

Cheers.