6000 Mining Jobs Announced

Jackinabox

May be of some use to some.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/wa/13533317/rio-launches-blitz-to-find-6000-workers/

Mining giant Rio Tinto willtoday launch one of the single biggest recruitment drives in Australianhistory, using Olympians to appeal to the aspirations of thousands of potentialnew workers.

The miner wantstradespeople, engineers, planners, project professionals, geologists andoperators to fill vacancies at projects worth $22 billion that are either underway or about to start at sites across the country.

It is understood Rio hopes to fill about 6000 vacanciesduring the four-month campaign, with about two-thirds at its 14 WA sites. Thecompany is seeking to increase capacity in the Pilbara by 50 per cent by 2013to 353 million tonnes per annum, which would create Australia's the largest integrated miningproject. It is believed most of the positions must be filled within thefour-month campaign, with many available from today. But other candidates willbe bookmarked as vacancies at its 30 sites around the country arise later inthe year.

Jack

Edited by Jackinabox

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the mining industry was collapsing and Australia was heading for recession?

Bugga. lol

I am hopeing that the knowledgable Aussies and employers that frequent this site could share there experience and contacts in the mining industry. I am interested in the machine operating side of things but understand that getti ng into this employment is quite difficult. I may be wrong?

Jack

I am hopeing that the knowledgable Aussies and employers that frequent this site could share there experience and contacts in the mining industry. I am interested in the machine operating side of things but understand that getti ng into this employment is quite difficult. I may be wrong?

Jack

Are you already in Australia?

Guest HeywoodMonkey
Are you already in Australia?

Hy Verystormy, I read you are a manager in the mining industry ? I could have read wrong, I have been working in oz now as a Cnc machinist setting programming operating even fixing the damn thing for 3 years now. I have applied to numerous mine companies for similar work could you possibly go some way as to explaining to me why even though there are thousands of jobs allegedly going that everyone I speak to over here who are in similar trades as me either hear nothing or are told the the jobs don't exist ? It seems if you are qualified as a geologist or can drive a dump truck your in but the availability of jobs within the mine sites for tradesmen who actually make the parts that move, dig and transport the stuff are non existent ? When I was in the Uk all I heard was " head to the mines " I wouldn't like people in the uk who are in similar trades as me to think that they will come over and walk straight into a high paying mining position, it seems like its damn near impossible ?

Hy Verystormy, I read you are a manager in the mining industry ? I could have read wrong, I have been working in oz now as a Cnc machinist setting programming operating even fixing the damn thing for 3 years now. I have applied to numerous mine companies for similar work could you possibly go some way as to explaining to me why even though there are thousands of jobs allegedly going that everyone I speak to over here who are in similar trades as me either hear nothing or are told the the jobs don't exist ? It seems if you are qualified as a geologist or can drive a dump truck your in but the availability of jobs within the mine sites for tradesmen who actually make the parts that move, dig and transport the stuff are non existent ? When I was in the Uk all I heard was " head to the mines " I wouldn't like people in the uk who are in similar trades as me to think that they will come over and walk straight into a high paying mining position, it seems like its damn near impossible ?

Having spent numerous years as a heavy plant machine operator and going on what I have been reading about the mining industry in Oz and its current requirements I would imagine that this is a fitters role rather than a manfacturers role. The operators/drivers are, in most cases, also 'dual traded' to do their own running and preventative maintenance. Some are also required to have had a working knowledge of fabrication and welding. Fitters and mechanics are employed to do the more technical stuff. I dont mean to be dismissive of your trade/quals, I worked with CNC's in Airbus, but in my experience in the UK a CNC machinist is in the manufacturing process and would not likely be used on site in mines. I may be wrong?

Jack

Mines never normally employ machinists as that is not there purpose. That is normally done by sub contractors in Perth. They are there to mine. Personally I have never seen a CNC or even more basic equipment in a Australian mine. African mines will sometimes take a ex pat for these roles in difficult countries such as the Congo. But you have to be prepared to be shot at!

I have never seen a mine that asks for drivers to be able to fix trucks. In exploration the ability to fix rigs / keep things going is normal as the guys are paid by the meter drilled

To Jack. I am happy to answer pm. I normally make my work email available on here but am about to change jobs

Guest HeywoodMonkey
Having spent numerous years as a heavy plant machine operator and going on what I have been reading about the mining industry in Oz and its current requirements I would imagine that this is a fitters role rather than a manfacturers role. The operators/drivers are, in most cases, also 'dual traded' to do their own running and preventative maintenance. Some are also required to have had a working knowledge of fabrication and welding. Fitters and mechanics are employed to do the more technical stuff. I dont mean to be dismissive of your trade/quals, I worked with CNC's in Airbus, but in my experience in the UK a CNC machinist is in the manufacturing process and would not likely be used on site in mines. I may be wrong?

Jack

Hy,

I pretty much thought that regarding the Cnc position in the mines but I suppose I needed it saying from someone else, thanks.

Guest HeywoodMonkey
Mines never normally employ machinists as that is not there purpose. That is normally done by sub contractors in Perth. They are there to mine. Personally I have never seen a CNC or even more basic equipment in a Australian mine. African mines will sometimes take a ex pat for these roles in difficult countries such as the Congo. But you have to be prepared to be shot at!

I have never seen a mine that asks for drivers to be able to fix trucks. In exploration the ability to fix rigs / keep things going is normal as the guys are paid by the meter drilled

To Jack. I am happy to answer pm. I normally make my work email available on here but am about to change jobs

Hy again

Thanks for your reply, I knew of a couple of Cnc machinists who went working for Bhp in port headland in he rolling stock machine shop, so I suppose in some areas the Cnc positions must exist ? Anyway thanks once again for your input and if youdo come across any Cnc positions feel free to give me a yell.

• 4 months later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF
i was told last night that we need another 6000 skilled workers asap .......has that been granted ?

This was incredibly positive news only in April, how's it looking now? Is there any links to job offers, or job losses in the mines, there's conflicting information on here.

I do find your avatar a little scary. Is it from IT?

May be of some use to some.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/wa/13533317/rio-launches-blitz-to-find-6000-workers/

Mining giant Rio Tinto willtoday launch one of the single biggest recruitment drives in Australianhistory, using Olympians to appeal to the aspirations of thousands of potentialnew workers.

The miner wantstradespeople, engineers, planners, project professionals, geologists andoperators to fill vacancies at projects worth $22 billion that are either underway or about to start at sites across the country.

It is understood Rio hopes to fill about 6000 vacanciesduring the four-month campaign, with about two-thirds at its 14 WA sites. Thecompany is seeking to increase capacity in the Pilbara by 50 per cent by 2013to 353 million tonnes per annum, which would create Australia's the largest integrated miningproject. It is believed most of the positions must be filled within thefour-month campaign, with many available from today. But other candidates willbe bookmarked as vacancies at its 30 sites around the country arise later inthe year.

Jack

Yeah, didn't happen. Rio is on a big job cutting purge right now; it's shut two QLD mines, is offloading contractors from others and looking at ways to reduce spending in terms like altering shifts to reduce the amount of buses it has to hire.

As far as I know these guys haven't been offered relocation to WA, and with Fortescue and others pulling the pin on expansions over there doesn't look like they will either.

Most companies are scaling back fairly dramatically. I think the picture is painted best by the Jain jobs web site for the industry. Infomine.com. For my profession there has always been about 1000 jobs available in Oz. It dropped down to about 800 in the GFC, then picked back up. Yesterday it was down to 200 and a fair few of them were duplicates posted by different agencies for the same role.

BHP has effectively closed exploration and laid off a couple of thousand contractors, Rio is reviewing all sites and already got rid of a fair few contractors and scaled back work. A mate is with them at the moment and normally you have one geo per rig. They now have 3 geo's per rig because they have closed so many programs.

Newmont announced yesterday they will be making redundancies Oz wide. That surprised me a little as they are gold, but then reading their reasons it isn't surprising as while gold price has been very healthy, cost of mining in Oz has gone up faster.

My company, the worlds biggest gold producer has to find substantial savings and we will be letting contractors go.

I speak to a lot of junior exploration companies and most are dropping Oz projects and picking up ground in Africa and Asia as they simply can't afford to explore in WA as they can't raise money on the markets and so have to look at how to get more work for less money and given drilling, their biggest cost, is about $400 a meter in Oz, but about $120 a meter in Africa, it's not surprising.

VeryStormy - would the mining companies still be pressuring the govt to import skilled workers as a way of chasing down wages and reducing costs?

Most companies are scaling back fairly dramatically. I think the picture is painted best by the Jain jobs web site for the industry. Infomine.com. For my profession there has always been about 1000 jobs available in Oz. It dropped down to about 800 in the GFC, then picked back up. Yesterday it was down to 200 and a fair few of them were duplicates posted by different agencies for the same role.

BHP has effectively closed exploration and laid off a couple of thousand contractors, Rio is reviewing all sites and already got rid of a fair few contractors and scaled back work. A mate is with them at the moment and normally you have one geo per rig. They now have 3 geo's per rig because they have closed so many programs.

Newmont announced yesterday they will be making redundancies Oz wide. That surprised me a little as they are gold, but then reading their reasons it isn't surprising as while gold price has been very healthy, cost of mining in Oz has gone up faster.

My company, the worlds biggest gold producer has to find substantial savings and we will be letting contractors go.

I speak to a lot of junior exploration companies and most are dropping Oz projects and picking up ground in Africa and Asia as they simply can't afford to explore in WA as they can't raise money on the markets and so have to look at how to get more work for less money and given drilling, their biggest cost, is about $400 a meter in Oz, but about $120 a meter in Africa, it's not surprising.

VeryStormy - would the mining companies still be pressuring the govt to import skilled workers as a way of chasing down wages and reducing costs?

No. Most are no longer doing so. There are skills that are in short supply, but becoming less. The classic example is the Roy Hill mine development which had announced thousands of 457 jobs. But since then the only news has been of postponements and redundancies from the project.

It was never a way of chasing down costs as it is actually more expensive. Contrary to what unions spout as it is a legal requirement to pay the going rate regardless. But then you have to add in the visa costs and relocation costs and it is only something that employers do as a last resort.

The one exception is constructions of mines. But, anyone coming over on a 457 for such a a role needs to be very aware that once the project is finished they will almost certainly be going home as there just aren't the exploration projects going on to result in new mines.

210,000 people SHORT in 7 years. Doesn't sound like an industry that's contracting. Increasing migration by 5000pa. Dire Skills shortage. Yet everything I read seems to indicate it's difficult to get into mining. 1000's laid off in mining this year, several mines closed, $millions projects cancelled. I can't work it out, seems like contradictory information all the time.

The announcement will prop up share prices though, increase consumer spending and increase house prices, whether it's true or not.

BHP are scaling back too.

Thanks Juliar ppfftt.

It's not Juliar's fault that the commodities prices are falling. It's not the workers fault either, neither were they asking for too much money. Everyone was as happy as Larry when the price was right. BHP and RIO making record profits yet again. Soon as the price drops they lay people off and blame them for wanting too much money.

Bet they make record profits again next year.

It's simple. The bureaucracy takes years to catch up to reality. Heck, the government are still saying there is no change as mines are closing. The industry bodies are just as bad if not worse. It was famous during the 90's when most Perth taxis were being driven by geologists that AMMA and AUSIMM were still spouting that the government needs to bring in more geo's.

210,000 people SHORT in 7 years. Doesn't sound like an industry that's contracting. Increasing migration by 5000pa. Dire Skills shortage. Yet everything I read seems to indicate it's difficult to get into mining. 1000's laid off in mining this year, several mines closed, $millions projects cancelled. I can't work it out, seems like contradictory information all the time.

The announcement will prop up share prices though, increase consumer spending and increase house prices, whether it's true or not.