carpentry skills test on saturday HELP!!!!

shaneand jackie

Hi Guys

Firstly im a very competent joiner that has my skills test in london on saturday:fingerscrossed:

Im not really concerned with the hands on bit as i like to think i know my stuff.

whats bothering me is the questions so if anyone could pm me some info on the questions i would be eternally grateful.

ive been sent me a bit of info which i im grateful for,i just want to be as prepared as i can and feel a bit paniced at the mo :chatterbox:

Ive sold my house now so i have a lot riding on this and want to smash it..

Many thanks in advance

Regards

shane:arghh:

I have been told on another thread its just regular Health and Safety questions and the examiners for carpentry are all really chilled and helpful nothing to stress about.. Hubby doing his next month so i asked a few months back the same question but cant find the thread..

Practical is making hip end roof ..

Hi Guys

Firstly im a very competent joiner that has my skills test in london on saturday:fingerscrossed:

Im not really concerned with the hands on bit as i like to think i know my stuff.

whats bothering me is the questions so if anyone could pm me some info on the questions i would be eternally grateful.

ive been sent me a bit of info which i im grateful for,i just want to be as prepared as i can and feel a bit paniced at the mo :chatterbox:

Ive sold my house now so i have a lot riding on this and want to smash it..

Many thanks in advance

Regards

shane:arghh:

I did mine last year.

One question was calculating how much concrete was required to a footing - you have a drawing + dims so it's easy to calculate.

Hilti gun questions I.e black, green and yellow cartridges which are the strongest blah blah blah - google it.

Google OHS Australia and there are websites with H&S videos and questions that should put your mind at rest.

We had to sit the theory in a group so it was pretty easy to be honest, believe you me there was a right l numbnut in our group so you have no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the carpentry practical a few weeks back and it went well, don't stress out too much about it, the lads are great and are not there to fail you, they just want to know if you can do what you say you can do,

day started off with the usual forms, then we did a JSA job safety analysis for the work in the work shop.

then we were given the drawings for the roof, fairly straight forward, a hipped roof with the ridge board fixed to a stud that you make up as well.

4 comon rafters and the crown rafter, 2 hips and 2 creeper/jack rafters.

we were taken into a room one by one, i was asked about my experience jobs i had done all that sort of stuff, then i was shown the elevation of the side of a house and asked to put in double doors how i would i do it etc.....

the asked to draw how i would build an extension to a house starting with setting out, foundations all the way up.

all easy stuff as thats what i do.

then he asked about the hilt gun, i've never used one, so he just wanted to know what i know about them, color of cartridges, which is most powerful, how to use the gun safely i.e. making sure area was clear of people, shouting clear firing the gun, making sure everyone knew i was firing, told him about license for the use in different countries etc...

he showed me a portable scaf and asked me to name different parts, asked me to build it, the steps i would take.

thats really all i can remember.

best of luck and remember just ask them all the questions under the sun, they were only too happy to help and were not there to fail anyone.

They aren't out to fail anyone that's for sure. I messed up with my hip rafter and left it to short to get the overhang! I admitted my mistake and said I would stay on and do it and he said it was fine...

I hadn't been in my tools for 16 years so it was extremely difficult for me- but you never lose it with a little practice in the garden pitching a roof on a piece of ply.

Good luck I'm sure you don't need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived