Shipping - shared container

angphil

Hi, we are just getting our quotes for removals and have been told that we could have a sole use 20 foot container for around £3800. But all our stuff will go in part of a container, the quote says £800 (hope it is not a typo). Just wanted to kniw if anyone had gone down the shared container route and if so what are the pitfalls.

Thanks

Guest Island Girl

I notice all posts refer to a 20' or 40' containers. I am trying to squeeze my stuff into a 10' container but is this actually a container on its own or what would be half a 20' container. I 'm not keen to share and I want it (10') loaded at the house and sealed. ie I don't want double handling as this is when things are likely to be broken or go missing. We want to keep our stuff in storage when we get to Aust/ for 6+ months so won't need any unpacking at the other end. Does anyone know how this affects the quote? Any info on container sizes appreciated. Also interested on the original question ie. sharing containers.

Guest Island Girl

Forgot to ask if the container is loaded at the house and sealed (this is how they did it in Australia) or is it put in a lorry then transferred to container at the yard storage centre? Can anyone tell me?:eek:

Guest Island Girl

Have you used them? Looks interesting but haven't read through the fine print yet regarding insurance etc. Are they the full monty as in removals. Any reviews? So much conflicting info on the removalists companies - some reviews say 'great' and other web reviews for the same company say 'dreadful' Difficulty in choosing? :arghh:

Guest Island Girl

Thanks. Checked out details but I don't think the cube would be big enough for my stuff. A few broken links on the website which is a bit of a concern and couldn't find any reviews so it must be quite a new product. Great idea and excellent for small shipments though if it takes off.

Hi, we are just getting our quotes for removals and have been told that we could have a sole use 20 foot container for around £3800. But all our stuff will go in part of a container, the quote says £800 (hope it is not a typo). Just wanted to kniw if anyone had gone down the shared container route and if so what are the pitfalls.

Thanks

totally got the wrong end of the stick, we need both! Gutted :(

See what you can get rid of to wangle it down to a single container. Get them to send you a good breakdown with measurements and volumes and see what you've got that you don't really need etc etc.

Problem with shared is it will take a lot longer (probably) that a sole-use container.

If you can't get rid of anything, then make very sure what you're sending separately isn't needed urgently.

Good luck :)