OET for Health Professionals or IELTS?

Guest Telb0i

Guest Telb0i

I found general IELTS testing difficult even being highly educated so have decided to pursue OET instead. Links:

http://www.occupationalenglishtest.org/Display.aspx?tabid=2411

http://www.occupationalenglishtest.org/Display.aspx?tabid=2425

http://oetonline.com.au/

The disadvantage with OET I can see is the overall cost but there's more chance in getting the top results and therefore pointsTell me what you think.

Edited by Telb0i

i just logged on to start a thread on OET and saw your read :-)

i jus did my 2nd IELTS on Saturday and didn't go very well and am

not expecting 7s across board and am considering to do OET...

have you done it before or is there any1 who had done it break it down

for us on what to expect..

than you...

Guest Telb0i

I haven't actually sat either test but after reviewing much of the test material for both, OET seems more straight forward as it is field/profession specific. I did however speak to Bronwyn at the Visa Bureau today who said that IELTS is the universally accepted standard but OET remains little understood as there is little if any legislation to support OET as a straight substitute for IELTS for health practitioners even though it states exactly that on their website; it seems as if OET is a little explored avenue, but it's there for a reason so who knows?

I've contacted the DIAC directly and have asked whether there is actually some legislation to support OET as a substitute for IELTS and await their reply.

That said, I'm starting to entertain the idea of a Work/Employer Sponsored 457 visa as the requirements seem more obtainable, i.e. a job offer.

I did OET in 2002, at that time I`ve only been living in an english-speaking country for 1.5 years. I got 3 B`s and 1 A . A and B levels are acceptable to AHPRA. I did find the IELTS much more difficult, especially the reading section was weird ( and I do read a lot, english and non-english books). Still waiting for my results , it should be available on friday. I only did the IELTS because OET was much more expensive and not available in my city.

OET has the advantage that the content of articles and listening is familiar to a medical professional. The writing was the easiest really, I had to write a letter endorsing a patient to another nurse.

For me, OET is a piece of cake compared to IELTS.:wink:

Guest raju1980

Hi,

Iam planning to apply for skill assessment,my skill code is taxation accountant,do you which body i should send my skill for review,also how much

time they take to review

do i need to do IELTS before sending skills for assessment,my code is 221113

I haven't actually sat either test but after reviewing much of the test material for both, OET seems more straight forward as it is field/profession specific. I did however speak to Bronwyn at the Visa Bureau today who said that IELTS is the universally accepted standard but OET remains little understood as there is little if any legislation to support OET as a straight substitute for IELTS for health practitioners even though it states exactly that on their website; it seems as if OET is a little explored avenue, but it's there for a reason so who knows?

I've contacted the DIAC directly and have asked whether there is actually some legislation to support OET as a substitute for IELTS and await their reply.

That said, I'm starting to entertain the idea of a Work/Employer Sponsored 457 visa as the requirements seem more obtainable, i.e. a job offer.

My understanding is that OET is only good for AHPRA registration, not for immigration. If you need a language test to gain extra points for DIAC it would have to be IELTS. I think you are not obliged to do language test if you prove that you were educated in English. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Iam planning to apply for skill assessment,my skill code is taxation accountant,do you which body i should send my skill for review,also how much

time they take to review

Hi,

try to post your question under the Migration issues as a new thread. Alternatively you can also search the site by key words. It seems there are only medical professionals likely to look at this particular topic.

Hi,

time they take to review

For Skill Assessment of Taxation Accountant, you should send your application to CPA.

The processing time is app. 2 weeks.

You are required to get IELTS 7.0 in each component, Academic Module for the Assessment.

If you do not possess a qualification such as CPA or ACCA, you also need to write the syllabus for subjects studied at the university.

Guest raju1980

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,do i have to give IELTS under academic module,well i am applying for PR visa 175.I got to know that for PR visa you have to give general IELTS ,Academic is for students visa...right,pls correct me if i am on wrong track.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,do i have to give IELTS under academic module,well i am applying for PR visa 175.I got to know that for PR visa you have to give general IELTS ,Academic is for students visa...right,pls correct me if i am on wrong track.

You can uses either General or Academic for visa application

• 8 years later...
On 23/04/2012 at 11:52, Guest Telb0i said:

I found general IELTS testing difficult even being highly educated so have decided to pursue OET instead. Links:

http://www.occupationalenglishtest.org/Display.aspx?tabid=2411

http://www.occupationalenglishtest.org/Display.aspx?tabid=2425

http://oetonline.com.au/

The disadvantage with OET I can see is the overall cost but there's more chance in getting the top results and therefore pointsTell me what you think.

I think OET is much easier than ILETS.

In addition to your links I would also recommend OET writing mastery for writing correction they are much cheaper with high quality feedback