Working in Dandenong?

Guest Nikaneddie

Guest Nikaneddie

Hi, my fiance and I are moving to Melbourne in June, he will be working in Dandenong and we've heard that it's a bit rough and not the best place to live. Can anyone give us any info on nice suburbs near Dandenong (within half an hours drive) we like safe areas, cafes and green areas...

I am so anxious about moving but excited too!:biggrin:

I worked in Dandenong for 13 years and I live on the Mornington Peninsula and used to drive to work each day. Its about 30 - 40 minutes drive. Dandenong is ok to work in its a very very multicultural area and there are problems in the area as its a city and a collector point ie it has all the facilities that people in the surrounding area need. Courts, Centrelink, Needle swap, Hospital, outreach, Probation Office, Family Court.

You could live in Berwick, Narre Warren, Keysborough, Chelsea, Edithvale, Dingley. All striking distance. North Dandenong is not a bad area, Endeavour Hills is popular.

If you wanted you could live on the Mornington Peninsula and commute from Mornington, Mount Martha, or live on the Westernport side of the Peninsula in Somerville, Tyabb.

Langwarrin, Cranbourne, Carrujm Downs are all areas close to Dandenong. Lyndhurst is also striking distance to Dandenong.

Pakenham is doable as well.

Have a look at google world and see what the areas look like to you and also look up realestate.com.au and the areas. Wiki also has good descriptions of the areas and give you the council names. Councils have a lot of information which is very useful to new residents.

Good luck

Dandenong is ok to work- it has great shops and a good market. Not to live, as others have said. You could live at Rowville too- that is pretty close and also near Knox City, nice food area at night - ozone. Dandenong at night could be a bit dodgy but only if you choose to go in dark places alone- like most cities.

Guest dirtmonkey

Maybe try Fern Tree Gully,just come back from there and its not far from Dandenong.Only a 15 min walk to the shopping centre called Knox City and the O-zone.

• 11 months later...

Where I was brought up, no one from either Dandenong or Frankston would dare visit (most for fear of being eaten)

This best describes sports day

"Very large Pacific island men half-pissed on cheap whiskey, walking around in lava-lava and jandals, while carrying a machete in one hand"

Being half Irish half Maori (Full NZ :-)) nobody bothered me

I was in Dandenong yesterday at the market and the shopping centre, its like living in a different country to where I live. Feel the odd person out at the market. I like to visit and I used to work there but live no, in fact my friend and I were discussing whether we could live there and we both decided no, fish out of water for us. When I worked there I never used the ATM's on the street. However its horses for courses so suits a lot of migrants from a myriad of different countries.

Some of the Dandenong people are the nicest you could wish to meet- they will stop and chat and share their life history with you - my husband found this whilst waiting for me and granddaughter at the Myer hub area. However, there is a dodgy element too and I believe there is a fairly high crime rate. Nothing like some of the American cities of course, its not that bad.