Any Alarm / CCTV / Access control engineers migrated? and how?

w1johnston

Hi,

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I am an Alarm engineer with over 10 yrs experience (but no qualifications) and would love to move to Oz, I have spoken with a couple of migration agency's who say this occupation is not on the list and I could only get in through employer sponsorship.

I would like to know if there is anyone with the same occupation who has been through this and what route you took?

Looking at the SOL there are occupations listed such as Electronic instrument trades person which when you read the description, it does describe what I do, are the migration agency's right and I am trying to find something that really isn't there? Or are they just taking easy applications as suggested to us by some friends we met in Oz?

If you moved through employer sponsorship, how easy or hard was it to find a job and how long did it take from getting a job offer to moving?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

An update for anyone that's in a similar occupation and thinking about migrating, it turns out this occupation is on the SOL, it has been hard to find since the occupation descriptions are so vague but here it is spelt out nicely. ANZSCO code 342313 ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT TRADES WORKER http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+3423+Electronics+Trades+Workers

I've spoken with staff at Go Matilda today, first impressions are very good and the fees don't seem too bad, looks like we will be going down the state sponsorship route.

Things are looking positive:biggrin:

Edited by w1johnston

• 4 months later...
Guest Nickoz

Hello W1Johnston! I'm in the very same situation as you! I did an internship with electronic equipments and tools for more than 5 years and now, for more than 8 years, I've been working with electronic security systems. I was looking a lot and I found that actually, the trade is the 342313, as you said above. I found it in the training.gov.au web page. I don't have a "formal qualification" either. Did it work ok for you in this situation? Any information you can give me will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

• 3 years later...

Hi

I am having same experience of 6+ years as an Electronics security Engineer. Knowledge of installation, Testing ,Commmissioning, troubleshooting and Maintenance of CCTV, Fire alar system, Audio system etc. But My qualification is Bachelor in Engineering or Engineering Graduate. Will I am be eligible because the qualification asked in only Certificate IV or diploma. Please suggest

Guys I highly recommend getting your skills assessed, Im a telcoms tech and was assessed by Milcom, (they also run CCTV security training) you will need license and probably Open cabling license here in OZ ,, Everything is about certificates over here... you even need a certificate to make coffee ! https://milcom.edu.au/technical-security-courses/

That would be a good place to start, its not cheap but I know it helped me as I was like you with no formal qualifications. I actually came here on a 2 year working holiday first and completed some training with milcom first then went back to the UK. I applied to loads of jobs until I was offered sponsorship. I love Australia , its worth it !