Lauren82

UK assured shorthold tenancy T&Cs

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody happens to have a copy of the T&Cs of a standard UK shorthold tenancy agreement? tried googling but they all want paying and i'm sure I have a copy somewhere just can't lay my hands on it.

We couldn't sell our house in the UK before moving over so left it in the hands of a 'trusted' property manager. The first tenants didn't pay on time, in full or sometimes at all so they were evicted. Grrr! So a new family moved in a few months ago. The agent had done an inspection and said everything was great with the new people and payments have been good so far but yesterday my parents went over to remove some things the last tenants had left and we had arranged at the same time for them to also do an inspection. Turns out the family have completely redecorated the house!! and without our knowledge or consent. My parents say its done nicely but not to our taste (its now Pink and glittery).... Not that it matters because we have no intention of going back but I am still actually really annoyed about it. Especially with the agent (assuming they knew of the redecoration from the last inspection.) Sounds pathetic really but we had some quite expensive feature wallpapers up which I was quite precious about and they have all been removed!!!

I couldn't bring myself to ring the property manager last night I was so annoyed but will be ringing today to vent some steam and probably tell them they are no longer managing it.

So yes, just wondering if anyone knows if tenants can redecorate without permission??

Lauren + Lee :tongue: www.leeknowlesphotography.com

SA SS applied: Feb '10. SS Granted: Sept '10. 176 Visa app Oct '10 CO 23rd March '11 Visa Granted 4th May '11 :))))

My understanding from being on the other side of the fence as it were (i.e. as a tenant) is that I could not make any permanent changes to the appearance of the property inside or out, and that the property had to be returned in its original state and condition at the end of the tenancy - including things like removing picture hooks from the walls and repairing them (some people will argue that I shouldn't have put up pictures in the first place). So I'm doubtful that redecorating on a big scale without permission would be OK - but you need to see a copy of the tenancy agreement to know whether redecorating per se/without permission is prohibited, or whether it's just a case of the tenants having to return the property in the same condition (in which case the feature wallpaper, etc. needs to be put back if they want their deposit back).

Check out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Privaterenting/RentingOutYourProperty/DG_189124 and there's some case studies about disputes over redecorating at http://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/resources/files/Case%20studies%20for%20disputes%20involving%20redecoration%20REVISED%2002%20APRIL%202012.pdf

Good luck and hope you can get a satisfactory outcome for all concerned.

On our last tenancy agreement we were not allowed to put picture hooks up in the wall at all. There was an inspection every 2-3 months, there was an inventory done by a 3rd party company before we moved in and after we moved out. We had to pay half of inventory charges both times £44. I once worked at leasing agent and landlord paid all intentory charges. if tenents have paid changes without the consent of the landlord they would lose their deposit. But depends what it says on the agreement.

Can you not ask your agent to send you a copy of the one they signed?

Fwiw contracts usually have that clause as standard about decorating and seeking permission and to return to original state any changes etc. You can take it out of the deposit if it's not put back.

I'd be giving the agent an earful for being crap and not checking with you first. Big fail on their part.

Yes I am trying to compose myself before i actually speak to them, I think some choice words may come out if not. I am going to put something down in writing as its probably the safest bet but will definitely be ask for a copy of their signed agreement. I know we discussed that the house wasn't to be touch/changed and we left it in a really good condition anyway... but it just wasn't pink enough for them obviously! Apparently their friend is a professional decorator so Mum says they have had it done very well - its the without permission that gets me.

I am going to have to get rid of the agent. Can't justify paying them anymore, feels like we have squatters, its like somebody has stolen our house.

Lauren + Lee :tongue: www.leeknowlesphotography.com

SA SS applied: Feb '10. SS Granted: Sept '10. 176 Visa app Oct '10 CO 23rd March '11 Visa Granted 4th May '11 :))))