removal company for small moves

Guest claireand bob

Guest claireand bob

Hi everyone,

can anyone reccommend a removals company for small moves. We are not taking furniture just smaller items.

Taking dvds, stereo, clothes etc.

I have had a few quotes but they seem expensive.

quoted £700-£800 for 2 cubic metres ?if this is a good price.

any info would be helpful

cheers

claire

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everyone,

can anyone reccommend a removals company for small moves. We are not taking furniture just smaller items.

cheers

claire

Hi Claire

I can't comment because I haven't even started to investigate that side of things yet. (Too nervous to risk tempting fate, I suspect!) However, I will be very interested to hear what other people say in response to your question.

The price you have been quoted does seem high to me but I've read other posts in which people have said that it is just as expensive to ship stuff as it is to replace it all in Australia. From what you are saying, they could be right.

Are you aware that most airlines give you double the normal baggage allowance when you make the validation trip? I've read several posts in which people have said that they were able to get 40kgs per passenger in Economy class, but I gather that it is sensible to get the airline to confirm that in writing in advance, and make sure you have the letter with you when you check in to avoid any last minute hassles about it. I don't know whether you have any children, but I'm just wondering whether the double baggage allowance (which is per passenger, regardless of age) might stretch far enough to let you take all your stuff with you by air?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everyone,

cheers

claire

Hello again, Claire

Just after posting my earlier message to you, I had a look at the Go Matilda forum. Here is the link to a thread that I think would be of interest to you. People are discussing shipping, prices etc and they all sound very kowledgeable about it.

http://gomatildaforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/1066053782/m/5961095581

Guest Adrian

Hi, we moved over to Aus nearly 4 years ago now. We used a company called Fleet Shipping International. You will find them on the web. Their sister company in Aus is called OSS world wide movers.

We found them to be very good and a good price too.

Beware, dont pack anything like wooden decorations etc. For example we packed a xmas tree star that was made from wood, they said they would have to gamma irradiate it and it would cost $300. We told them to chuck it instead!

Furniture and stuff is obviously ok but they do quarantine your stuff once it gets here be prepared for delays!

Adrian

Guest Missiemo
Hi everyone,

cheers

claire

Hi Claire

I can't comment because I haven't even started to investigate that side of things yet. (Too nervous to risk tempting fate, I suspect!) However, I will be very interested to hear what other people say in response to your question.

The price you have been quoted does seem high to me but I've read other posts in which people have said that it is just as expensive to ship stuff as it is to replace it all in Australia. From what you are saying, they could be right.

Are you aware that most airlines give you double the normal baggage allowance when you make the validation trip? I've read several posts in which people have said that they were able to get 40kgs per passenger in Economy class, but I gather that it is sensible to get the airline to confirm that in writing in advance, and make sure you have the letter with you when you check in to avoid any last minute hassles about it. I don't know whether you have any children, but I'm just wondering whether the double baggage allowance (which is per passenger, regardless of age) might stretch far enough to let you take all your stuff with you by air?

Not all airlines offer extra baggage allowance so make sure you do check, Malaysian have told us we can only have 20 kilos normal weight.

Excess Baggage are good for smaller loads, you can get a quote on line.

mo

Archived