Depression

Guest The Pom Queen

Are you or have you ever suffered depression?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are you or have you ever suffered depression?

• Yes on meds
    • Yes not on meds
    • No

Guest The Pom Queen

There are quite a few members who have suffered depression and I thought it would be nice to have an anonymous poll to show ones who are currently suffering that they are not alone.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
so far 100% is/has been depressed. That's even worse than the stats for PhD students...:eek:

Its all the stress of getting our visas, maybe we should file a huge law suit for the anxiety caused :wink:

Guest Bouncer Mangle

I think in Australia have a few hang ups regarding depression. The general consensus as I recall is "toughen up princess" which just makes things worse.

Guest haunted1234

I'll share!

both myself and hubby have suffered with depression in the past. Myself with postnatal depression after my youngest son was born with a facial disfigurement (all fixed now after 5 surgeries) and my hubby had a breakdown because of work pressures working stupid hours a week etc, he was prescribed medication, thought he had 'recovered' and came off them himself! later resulting in him 'going off the rails' and becoming a man i didnt know, not admitting or even realising his depression was still there to the point he went missing one night and was found lingering near a bridge in a very drunken state.....he then got help and am happy to say 5 years on and lots of counselling and meds later he's back to his old self. i do get sick of people saying "what have you got to be depressed about?" one favoured by his mum! and also, "you want putting in a bag and shaking up"!

sympathetic to the end......a horrible 'invisible' illness! im just happy at the moment mine is under control :o)

I suffered with depression after my dad died unexpectedly. I was very close to him, and it just hit me like a ten tonne truck. It took me a long time to feel better, I didn't take meds although they were prescribed because I felt out of control on them, and I wanted to be allowed to deal with dads death, although I know that for many they are a lifeline.

It does start to creep back every so often, I wouldn't say that I would ever be over it totally, but now I know the signs and can deal with it before it takes hold.

Like LKC, I also suffered quite badly from depression after my dad died. In retrospect, it was really exacerbated by a number of other things that were also happening at the same time (new high-level job, being bullied at the new job, a nasty car accident, a bad health scare for my darling husband, and assorted other things). I went on meds, but it took trying about four different types before I finally found some that actually worked! However it has been managed pretty well for the last couple of years, so am hoping to be able to wean off the antidepressants at some stage. That said, it's so good to feel 'normal' again, I wouldn't care if I needed to stay on them forever - it would just be a nice bonus to be able to come off them :)

I really feel for anybody struggling with mental health issues, it is so incredibly difficult on the person, and also their immediate family. My husband was wonderful beyond belief, but not everybody is lucky enough to have an understanding partner. Even my mum said to me that my husband would leave me unless I 'sorted myself out'. I found this hard to hear as 1) I was scared it was true! and 2) she herself was on antidepressants at the time - I thought she was being a bit harsh to be honest!!

Guest AKA63029

I once suffered a 'Catastrophic Mental Breakdown/Episode' according to the hospital 'looney tune' consultant.:eek:

Wasn't funny at the time, didn't take any meds, (well the ones they prescribed anyway,:embarrassed:)

I can now joke about it (defence mechanism I guess) but will never take the proverbial out of those that have/do/will suffer from it, ain't funny to be in that 'Hole'.

I'm on 30 milligrams at the moment, doc refuses to give me my old dose of 80 milligrams, even when I TELL him that I need them.:arghh:

OK, so my hands around his throat doesn't put him in the best of moods, but all the same.:mad::laugh:

As I said, I can and do joke about 'my' situation, but the 'Hole' is a sad and lonely place, but there is hope mateys.

Cheers Tony.

Edited by AKA63029

Guest AKA63029

When I was discharged from 'Nuttsville' my consultant let me read his notes.

At the bottom of the page he had put:

'Must try harder next time', sounded ;like my old school reports.:embarrassed:

But he was talking of my choice of 'pills' to do the dirty.

I took several packs of 'Zyban' (anti smoking aid) at the time, had no affect apart from a raging heart rate and one hell of a headache, and of course 'after' it was all over I DIDN'T need/want a fag, which didn't help my mindset.:laugh:

According to the ambos they wouldn't put on the sirens as they had NEVER come across someone who had tried the dirty with Zyban, and the noise 'may' give me a heart attack and in their words:

'Well Tony, they (docs) will have to wait to see the whole affect as they have never had anyone try 'it' with the drugs you used'.:eek::laugh:

True story peeps, and as I say I can laugh at ME now, so I must be better.:yes:

Edited by AKA63029

Guest guest17301

Define depression, I would add to the poll, 'medically diagnosed depression' As sufferers will know theres a world of difference between low mood and depression

Guest AKA63029
Define depression, I would add to the poll, 'medically diagnosed depression' As sufferers will know theres a world of difference between low mood and depression

BIG difference between being 'Fed Up' and depression.

It's a bit like the 'flu' thing, if you can make it unaided it to the docs you ain't got flu.:no:

I agree, my doctor said I was clinically depressed after asking 20 odd questions of some chart and was concerned I might even top myself, I can honestly say the last 3 months have been a struggle and even on meds I am still a mess.

The problem (actually, one of the problems) with depression, is that you can't see it. For all intents and purposes you look 'normal'. You don't have a cast on any part of your body, there is no obvious physical sign, and I think that that can be difficult for those around you to understand. Just because you aren't showing an outward sign of being il, inside you can be broken.

Funnily enough, the same as Windswept, there were a number of other stressful things going on at the time of my dads death. I had had to have some pretty major surgery on one of my feet and had had a panic attack in theatre (they took me in awake) and then a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. I was also about to sit my first year optometry exams when dad died, so I had to sit them in resit week, and I didn't do as well as I could have.

The hole which AKA speaks of is exactly that. It is like you have blinkers on and can't see around you at all. I do still start with depression from time to time, and one of the first signs is that I can sit and stare in to space, not feeling anything and not seeing anything around me. I know at that point that I need to sort it out.

I agree, my doctor said I was clinically depressed after asking 20 odd questions of some chart and was concerned I might even top myself, I can honestly say the last 3 months have been a struggle and even on meds I am still a mess.

I recall that the psychologist asked my if I heard voices in my head and if I saw things that weren't there. I don't know if everyone gets asked the same questions, but those, to me were the interesting ones because I used to talk to my dad in my head and could almost hear him speaking.

If it helps in anyway every time I see you post on here I am thinking about you in your current situation and hoping the day you can look back on it like some others on this thread hurries up and arrives for you soon. I'm sure many others on PIO feel the same about you. :wubclub: <Hugs> It is just a broken arm of the mind and can heal given time.

Sorry, but I cannot understand why anyone should be depressed. Seriously, take a look at yourseves and STOP feeling sorry for yourselves.

And, before anyone makes caustic comments, I have had a few more bad and sad things happen to me, seeing that I'm about 30 years older than the majority of you. Remember that you only have one life so, get out of the rut and begin to live, really live!

soapbox.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Sorry, but I cannot understand why anyone should be depressed. Seriously, take a look at yourseves and STOP feeling sorry for yourselves.

And, before anyone makes caustic comments, I have had a few more bad and sad things happen to me, seeing that I'm about 30 years older than the majority of you. Remember that you only have one life so, get out of the rut and begin to live, really live!

soapbox.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

. Oh Bobj Did you know some of the greatest men suffered churchill had manic depression he called it his black dog

. Oh Bobj Did you know some of the greatest men suffered churchill had manic depression he called it his black dog

Yes, I knew he was a manic depressant. So was Spike Milligoon. Still cannot understand why, though.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes, I knew he was a manic depressant. So was Spike Milligoon. Still cannot understand why, though.

Cheers, Bobj.

I was the same as you and would have told someone to snap out of it a few months back bobj, but when it suddenly affects you from nowhere you understand what people are going through. Anyone can suddenly get it bob and it comes from nowhere.