14-16 year olds in gold coast area?

Loopieloo

Hi, Im laura and soon moving to the goldcoast. I have met some really friendly people who have helped me out or are in the same situation of moving on here but i would love to know more people so I was wondering if there were any 14-16 year olds as i am in between that age and i would really love to find out more about the goldcoast and what oppourtunities it has for teenagers! if you are willing to help either comment on here of pm me! thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, Im laura and soon moving to the goldcoast. I have met some really friendly people who have helped me out or are in the same situation of moving on here but i would love to know more people so I was wondering if there were any 14-16 year olds as i am in between that age and i would really love to find out more about the goldcoast and what oppourtunities it has for teenagers! if you are willing to help either comment on here of pm me! thanks! :)

Hey im Jess, Jockeylads daughter, im 13 and im moving to Sunshine Coast around this time next year. I act and look older than my age by the way if that helps hehe?? I have done a bit of research and there are a lot more jobs, and education opportunities out there than there are here. Life style seems more chilled and interesting/ fun out in Oz. Hope this helps a bit... Jess

Edited by Jockeylad

Are you excited about moving? Im around the age as you :) i think i will like the lifestyyle out there more than here to be honest! what are you doing about education because im really confused how schools and colleges ect. work out there!

Are you excited about moving? Im around the age as you :) i think i will like the lifestyyle out there more than here to be honest! what are you doing about education because im really confused how schools and colleges ect. work out there!

hey again its jess, yes VERY excited, it something knew to try. I would rather try it now while im young rather than when im older to be honest, i think i will also like the lifestyle more out there as well, we just need to go over with an open mind i think. Well there school terms are different to ours eg: their x-mas hols are 6 weeks and their summer hols are 2 weeks, but from what i have heard off other people is that no matter what time of year you go down you may have to do an extra term at school (but dont take my word for it, i will have to do more research on school terms). But if it is true, at least we get an extra term of revision so we will be great on our tests! Hope this helps, and hopefully i will talk to you some more and we can help each other?! from jess

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to talk to someone in the same position! Yeah I'm not sure about any school years! I will be starting college or whatever they call it when I go out there I think ! What about you? I'm also really excited! It's just leaving friends and family behind I'm nervous about! :) Hope to talk to you soon!

hey again, yes leaving all my friends and family is the down fall for me. I wish I could just pack them in my suit case but, the hardest thing for me is leaving my nan and grandad. We are so close, closer than any of my other cousins are with them, i love them so much, but we have made a deal where they will come over for 4-5 months at a time so I will get to see them. My friends though are a different story I will only be able to see them when we come to England for holidays, that sounds weird to say, and I have a friend called Charlotte, she's the same age as you, and her family are like a second family to me. Even so ,leaving my other friends will be very hard as we all just click together. I think every kid goes through this, so we aren't alone. I'm packing in loads of activities with my friends before I leave like go shopping, big sleepovers, and my leaving party. I am going to keep in touch with my mates through Skype or face book (I haven't got Facebook yet, and the only reason I will be getting it is to keep in touch with family and friends over here). It's a tough subject to tackle, I think I'm just going to spend more time with my family and friends before I go. OMG what a coincidence one of my best mates is called Laura, had to mention it. Speak soon!!!:):D

Haha! I seriousLy in the same position a you! I'm also going to be going out with my mates a lot before I go and make the most of England, because I know I will miss it when I go! I'm also really close to my gran, I always see her and I tell her everything! If she ever goes on holiday she will always call me! just imagine how many people you will meet and become friends with! My dad and gran are making me install Skype for them and I imagine we will be talking a lot on that! Haha! I'm really excited to go! Even though we have a bit of a wait time will go fast! :)

Yes, we both do, cant wait though, I'm glad we are in the same position to be honest as then we can share how we feel, when nearer the time, when the nerves start to set in I guess. I love it when i can talk to someone who is in the same position as me, because its easy and we can understand how each other feel. Same with the skype thing, we are getting it installed on my parents phone and our laptop, so me my nan and grandad will still be close, and im sure you and your gran will be too. My nan and grandad always tell me that nothing can split us up, they tell me more now, because we are moving. Now i feel like i cant wait to go, but i know that when it comes the time i will be split in half. One half wants to go, but another wants to stay with my family. Of course i will miss my friends, but family is very important, especially my grandparents. But I always tell myself that at least we are lucky enough to experience this move to a fantastic country. My friends dont want me to go and im sure your friends dont want you to go either, but we will meet more friends over there! Hopefully some hot boys aswell! haha! I love the accent though and they are so lucky they have a tan all year round, I've only just got mine because, thankfully, we have had this nice weather so i have got a nice bronzed tan to my skin, no longer a pale. But i have got a bit of sun burn on my back oouccchhh! But soon we will be bronzed Aussie girls haha! xxxxx :):D

I agree wIth yOu completely! I can't wait to get out there but at the same time I want to stay here with my friends and family! I am going to make all my friends and family get Skype so we can always keep in contact! My gran and grandad are the only ones who talk to me about it! Because I'm leaving my dad he is still quite shocked and upset about it that he doesn't talk to me about it very often! And I understand that! What types of hobbies are you into? I'm really into my music! Not chart music but music which not many people have heard of! I guess you could call it punk/pop/rock! My favourite band is the Maine! I also like art! But not like landscapes or still drawings, I make my art from shapes and I make flowers and stuff! Most of friends and family say I should become a tattoo artist! Haha! I still don't know what I want to be when I'm older and living out there! But the beaches look amazing an I honestly can't wait to get there! I'm making the most of England though! I will miss it! Life seems healthier out there and more active and that's the life I like! I love the beach! And I'm determined to learn guitar before my birthday in November! Haha!

I like rock, pop RandB, and similar stff to you really and some chart stuff. I also like the beegees 70's stuff disco classics i dont know why its just a bit catchy. I like music art and dramatic arts. I like pop art the best because its bold and eye catching. I know how you feel, i may not be leaving my dad, but my grandarents are still abit upset, and dont talk about it much, we all knew this would upset the family, but i think people have got to do what they have got to do, and this is what we need and want to do. There are more opportunities and a better life style out there, the beaches are WWWWOOOOWWWW the schools are amazing, i mean surfing for PE. Way better than playing hockey or rounders in the RAIN!hahahah! Bt for a job I really want to be an actress/singer/model, a lot of jobs right! But i have always loved being center stage when required and im confident so those jobs would be perfect for me. What i think is that, we can do what ever job we want, no job is certain for us lot, so we can try our hardest to get what we want out of life. Good luck learning the guitar, i started lessons once, bt then quit, it was too hard for me, im more into the drums! Do you have any idea of schools, have yo been looking at any online, i have i like mountain creek state high school, its close to where we are looking so its a possibly! :)

I really like pop art too! Haha! We seem to have a lot in common! I haven't looked at schools too much, we have looked at a lot of houses and I really like how open planned they are! I know it would be expensive but I really want my friends to visit when I'm out there, they will get so jealous! Haha and I just want to keep in contact with them because they mean so much! Art is something I want to study, many people say I should be a tattoo artist and just like you with singer/actress thing! I have no clue what to choose because there are so many options! Seriously? Surfing for pe! That's amazing! I have always wanted to learn how to surf! I'm not into sports but surfing is something I would want to try! I just want to be able to fit in with all the style and lifestyle! And apparently they love the accent etc. I guess Australia has its positives and negatives and so does England! It should be an amazing experience! And I can't wait to try it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i know surfing for pe, i was looking at the school curriculum and you have surfing lessons for pe and surfing competitions, im so jealous. The houses, dont get me started, I LOVE THEM they are amazing, so modern, there was one we were looking at and on the wooden decking outside it had an amazing lounging area and it had a BAR! OMG! It was amazing, and a big pool. Same not really into sport only dance, trampolining ,and gymnastics. I want to fit in too, im nervous that no one will like me but im sure they will, im really easy to get on with and an easy going person. Im sure we will have fun though!

I really want to learn to surf! Music is a big part of my life and I'm currently learning guitar! I'm so excited! I cannot wait till I get out there! I think I'm more nervous about starting school! Because every one there will know each other and I would be new and it may be difficult to fit in! But it may be easier to fit it because they love the accent:) haha!

yh i know what you mean it maybe hard at first, but my nan said to me that i will be starting all over again, so instead of being popular like i am at my school, i will go back to being the newbie haha! But its now 11 months or so before i go, and because your going in 2 years, we can meet up when you get over there and i can give you tips on anything, and everything, so dont worry i will help you more on aussie life when im out there.haha! They love our accent, well i love their accent. I have always thought the english accent is pretty boring, well my personal version of it anyway. So i cant wait till i cling onto their accent. So how did you react when your mom told you that you two were leaving?

They actually told me over dinner! i knew my step dad had always wanted to go back becuase he is originally australian! They got married about 8 years ago when i was 6 out in sydney! i cant really remember it that well but i remember certain parts! But at first i thought they were joking and it took me about two moths to understand what was actually happening and how big it was! But im used to it now but obviusly have mixed emotions! Then after about six months of me knowing, i was ready to tell my dad. No one forced me to tell him, i just thoyght it was the right thing to do because he deserved to know. On the day of telling him, i made my friend sleep over so if anything did not go right then they will be there to support me. Then on the day after dinner, i said to him "i need to talk" and it got really serious and then i just cam out and said it! at first he said "its not happening, i will do everything to make you stay!" and i told him that i wanted to try it. I also wrote a letter explaining everything, but he said he didnt want to see it! we were both in tears and my friend was upstairs on the phone to my mum! After we hugged and i ran upstairs crying and spoke to my mum on the phone. She told me how proud she was and how brave i was. After an hour, he told me to come downstairs with the letter, so i gave the letter to him and went back upstairs. I then went downstairs to say goodnight and he was all tearful and the letter was sitting on the table! It was really emotional and i was so scared! But he rarely speaks about it now! My grandparents are supportive but they want me to stay! but as you can probably tell that it is slightly awkward between me and my dad! I thought telling him would make us closer and able to talk more but it seemed to go in the other direction! how about you?

I know what you mean with the awkwardness, i sometimes get it with my family when we talk about it. My grandparents are also very supportive, but you can tell that they dont want me to go, as my moms side of the family is big, and out of all 13 grandchildren me, and my little sister millie are her favourite. So my mom feels like shes tearing their world apart. My nan hate flying, but my grandad loves to go on holidays, and the sn, so im sure he will persuade her to come over, im sure she will even my nan said she would, but would have to prepare herself for the flight. My parents told me when i came back from my mates house, they sat me down and told me. I have always wanted to do this move, but when the decision is final and my parents are arranging visa's, and containers to take furniture over, it suddenly becomes real, and i realise what i will be losing, but as well gaining. The one aspect which i will miss in aussie is my famiy and friends, i believe that family and friends are the rock of our lives, the support, and backbone sometimes, when you need an extra back bone. It's easier for my daad because he was born their, in Adelaide, and his mom, my nanny Sue, god bless her, passed away when i was 6. I can tell in my dad sometimes, especially around christmas, that he misses her and that in a way he needs her, for someone to talk to. Sometimes i sense that he needs her now, going through the whole aussie thing. But anyway, we all want to go and experience it, where as millie my little sister, wants to stay. My mom told her and she started to cry and asked if she could take her room, bless her, shes only just turned 6. Oh and maybe your dad can come out and see you all out there, you may come back here for holidays, so you could see him them, and its an emotional process, he's probably thinking that he's loosing his little girl, well your not little anymore, but its the same with my dad, he still see's me as that newborn baby sometimes. Are you moving their permanently or temporarily?:D

Edited by Jockeylad

We are renting at first because we have no clue what is is goin I be like! But If we like it, we will make the move permanent! I have two younger sisters, ones 3 ones 5 nearly 6! Bless your dad! It must be tough! And I know what you mean with dads treating you as a little girl, I'm his only daughter and i feel slightly awkward when I go visit him, it's like I go round as a visitor and not a part of the family. I sleep on a camp bed when I go round there and I feel like going round there effort sometimes because I'm never excited! He is always working and I rarely see him! I have three step sisters! And I only get on with one of them! I lack in confidence and my step mum is very confident and when I was younger, it may sound really stupid but I got scared when I got told off and then I saw how easy it was to annoy my step mum and I got slightly scared of gettin told off by her! My dad is like me and lacks in confidence and is very easy to control! I'm exactly the same with my gran! I'm the closest out of eight of us to her! I always talk to her and see her every week! Family and friends will be difficult to leave but just think how many people you are going to meet out there! It's gonna be amazing!

YES IT WILL BE! I would never of thought that you were under confident, and god, if my parents ever divorced i would make my step parents life HELL, if i hated them. It sounds a bit awkward with your dad, i have to agree with you. We are doing the exact same as you when we get out there, we are going to rent out there for a few years, but if we decide to stay we will buy out there permanently, i think we will like it, but i dont want to get my hopes up in case its not for us. Its kind of hard not to, because everyone says that its like paradise. When i was younger i hated getting told off, i used to cry so much. But anyway even if we just live out there for 3-4 years we would of had a great experience! I just figured out that my end of term whole school assembly will be my last because we are moving in 10 months time, so im leaving a few months before the end of year 9, im currently year 8. But im so excited, im counting down the months, but my mom says that i dont really take everything into account, and that i will start to feel more apprehensive/ nervous to go when its nearer the time.:biggrin:

I know! Everyone I have talked to says it was paradise! Haha yeah, I wouldn't say I'm under confident but my step sisters and mum are just so over confident! I'm at the end of year nine, just started my gcse courses you havent got much time left! I still have a year and a bit! It's a shame we have to go back down a year in school when we get there, but I think that's where we make the Most friends so it should be ok! We are moving to surfers paradise! How about you? :)

We are moving to the sunshine coast, so not far away from you, about 2 hours. The year thing is a bit annoying, they are a semester behinde us so i will have to go back to being a year 8 for a term and then move up again, or something like that anyway. I definetly want to get more involved in sport out there, like rowing, surfing, beach volleyball, basically all the sports that we dont really get an opportunity to do over here. Oh and by the way im in year 8 about to go into year 9. So maybe when you get in Aussie, we can meet up and i can give you some tips and help you with some things like school info and stuff?

I'm in year nine at the moment! I still don't understand the whole school thing! I'm sure we will be able to settle in fine though! Yeah that would be great to know people when I get out there! I have spoken to quite a few people who have moved out to the gold coast and they all love it! Getting more sporty will be easy to do! They have so many sporting opportunities! And the weather will be good making outdoor sports enjoyable! Unlike England! Haha

YEP! Instead of your pe teacher saying come on lets do rounders, they will be saying... come on we are doing surfing! How amazing! I dont really get the school thing either its a bit hard to understand, because we are used to the way it works over here. Im sure it will be easy enough to understand when we are actually at school. So i m a year behinde you then, i cant wait till year 9, is it good? I have heard that the girls get even bitchier than now, and if im honest im not really the mean type of person, i dont really argue with my friends, or anyone else, so i guess im just not that way like some girls at my school. Like all girls i can be a bit mean at times, if i have to stand up for myself. But dont worry, im not under confident myself, but im not over confident, im just in the middle. I dont think i need to become any more confident, im happy being the way i am now. The weather will definetly be nicer over there, a lot nicer. I mean have you seen how much rain we have had latley, it's starting to depress me a bit if im honest, so thats when i just daydream about australia, and think to myself its not long now, because for my family it's roughly 9-10 months, so im very excited and im counting down the months i know it may seem a bit sad but yyaannoooo ;)

Haha! Not at all! I'm counting down too! Haha! I have like a countdown on my ipod! (maybe it is sad) hahaha!Yes yes! It's is true! The girls do act that way! Some of them have so much confidence it's unbelievable! But to be honest I don't hang out with them! I have about 10really really close friends! Four boys six girls! Every lunch we just move away from all the "popular" people and eat outside somewhere else and just chat! It's really nice because we are such close mates! I wouldn't say I was popular haha! But I'm happy with my friends because we share the same interests and get along! And that is all what matters! I have my frineds which are confident, some friends which are funny! Some friends which are really into the same music as me! And some which just like everything i like! We go out quite a lot! But the weather ruins it most time! What do you like doing when you go out with your friends? We usally go to town or just Sit in a park! Haha! We always just go out eat and then chill with a milkshake In the arcade! Haha! It actually really fun! :)That's actually really weird because I was made to play rounders today...in the rain and last lesson! It's hell! I actually hate it! I know the rain is actually so depressing! I am hoping to go to a festival next weekend and if the weather is like this it's going to be horrible!

Im the same with my mates, im not the most poplar girl in school, but i like that. I know a lot of people, and talk to a lot of people, but i aleways have my close mates, like you do, that are a mix of boys and girls. Im confident , but i dont want to be popular, because you get into arguments a lot more, thats why i stay with my group of close mates. Normally we will meet up in the town centre and go shopping, or i will go round to theirs, something like that anyway. RAIN! Today me and my mates were walking to the school gym, to do PE, and it started to rain heavily. My natural hair look is wavy/ curly, but my hairstyle is poofy at the top, and straight at the bottom, (because i like it nice and neat). So anyway it started to rain, and what did my hair do... go curly! So i had my hair up for the rest of the day, not an attractive look, haha! To be honest, i dont care about being popular, im happy with where i am at now, i wouldnt change my friends for the world, even when i move im still keeping n contact, like i have told you before. Over confidence, i know what you mean,girls i my year are starting to get like that already, i feel like saying "get over yourself, your not that amazing!" God, they really get on my nerves when they are like that though, they act like everyone wants to know their business, like what they had to eat that day, and not many people care. Im the type of person who doesn't shout about their personal life, i only tell my close mates, who i can trust stuff like that. This is random, we have a lot in common, and its really easy to speak to you about stuff, like moving, and yr 9 girls, haha, ooohhh yes, and you sound like a really nice, down to earth person, thats a good thing by the way, in case you were like wondering :)!haha! Hope the weather is good for the festival, and have fun! Rain is actually so depressing, i was looking out the window in english today, and i was so depressed just looking at it, i wanted to cry strangely enough, because its been raining for ages, it feels like forever to be honest. UUUGGGHHH, dont you just love England? ;) haha.