WHV packing list?

digitalis

I did have a sleeping bag - one of the ones that roll up really small - and I did use it on the same trips as the above poster said. I also used it when went ot Uluru - (but you could rent some from the tour company - which I wish I had done as it was freezing in the Swaggs.)

Never used it in the hostals - we did go to a place that had bedbugs - but they were in the sofas and curtins rather than the beds. You easy know if you have bedbugs as they bite in straight lines.

Guest Armstrong
I would book a few days. I booked 5 days in a hostel in Perth and OMG it was terrible! I ended up not getting my money back. So i'd book for a few days and then if you like it book in for more.

Perth was terrible or the hostel you chose?

lots of hostels don't let you use sleeping bags as bed bugs apparently live in the zips?! (not sure how the bugs differentiate between the zips of sleeping bags and backpacks though - they must be very clever!) you can hire a sleeping bag from hostels or trip organisers for about $5 when you need one and invest in a sleeping bag liner so you know you're only in your own muck!

Guest guest66832
Mate defo take sleeping bag

Just be aware that some hostels will not let you use sleeping bags. They are a terrible transferor of bed bugs. Until you have actually experienced bed bugs you won't really have any idea of how bad they can be. I remember one day being in the hostel bathroom getting ready for work and putting my tie on. I lifted up my shirt collar to put it on and the underneath of the collar was crawling with bugs. They are horrible and you should avoid them at all cost because in my opinion only a small nuclear device will get rid of them.

I also remember staying in a hostel in Sydney. A Japanese guy stayed for a few days and infected the whole room with bed bugs from his sleeping bag. The one morning I lifted back my bed cover and it was covered in bugs.

When I go back I am taking a bed bug resistance bed sheet, anti bed bug spray and I will be using a very fine mesh mosquito net to keep down the threat of bugs and to keep the cockroaches from crawling over my face and neck in the night. Until you have woken up with a cockroache on your face then you haven't truely had the backpacking experience.

Just be aware that some hostels will not let you use sleeping bags. They are a terrible transferor of bed bugs. Until you have actually experienced bed bugs you won't really have any idea of how bad they can be. I remember one day being in the hostel bathroom getting ready for work and putting my tie on. I lifted up my shirt collar to put it on and the underneath of the collar was crawling with bugs. They are horrible and you should avoid them at all cost because in my opinion only a small nuclear device will get rid of them.

I also remember staying in a hostel in Sydney. A Japanese guy stayed for a few days and infected the whole room with bed bugs from his sleeping bag. The one morning I lifted back my bed cover and it was covered in bugs.

When I go back I am taking a bed bug resistance bed sheet, anti bed bug spray and I will be using a very fine mesh mosquito net to keep down the threat of bugs and to keep the cockroaches from crawling over my face and neck in the night. Until you have woken up with a cockroache on your face then you haven't truely had the backpacking experience.

Jesus I am not particularly squeamish but that must have been a horrifying experience lol espcially the shirt collar one :eek: I am taking a sleeping bag but let's just say that at the merest hint I may have some undesirable visitors then said sleeping bag will be disappearing into the ether amidst lighter fluid and a few matches.

Were the hostels themsevles responsible at all though? I mean, there are hundreds of businesses that are vermin attractive that manage to keep the numbers down? How can someone walk around with a sleeping bag full of bed bugs lol.

Good call on the spray and mossie net though!

Edited by digitalis

Until you have woken up with a cockroache on your face then you haven't truely had the backpacking experience.

:biglaugh: Class, especially when you compare it to some of the dilemmas the permanent residents are having with their accomodation further up the forum, like, "my swimming pool isn't hot/big enough", "internet isn't installed yet", "what car to buy" etc. etc haha.