Removal Companies : Australia to UK

B2ENG

Hi All,

I am moving back to the UK soon, does anyone know who the top 4 removal companies are for shipping house contents back ??

I have a quote from Pickfords but it seems excessively high and would like to compare quotes.

I shall post my findings on here for anyone else thinking about returning home....

• Like 1

I've had a few quotes through in the past month or so, the going rate seems to be $7-$8.5 for the sole us of a 20ft container and $10-$11 for a $40ft container.....you can obviously get cheaper rates if you share a container. These quotes seem to include all packing materials, packing and paperwork required. I think the cheapest quote I got was either from Chess or Australian Vanlines.

Thank you Julz,

I have found the invoice for my move out here (UK to Sydney) using Pickfords & sharing a container it was £1595 ! June 2011

The quote I have just received from Pickfords (Sydney to UK) is .............. wait for it ............................£3665 ! April 2012

Although I love this country, it has to be said it is an absolute rip off ! every thing you buy over here seems to be at least 30% more than what you would pay in the UK !

Can anyone think why shipping back to the UK is more than double the price ? I've tried hard... errrmmm maybe the tides are stronger that way around ! ?

Thank you Julz,

I have found the invoice for my move out here (UK to Sydney) using Pickfords & sharing a container it was £1595 ! June 2011

The quote I have just received from Pickfords (Sydney to UK) is .............. wait for it ............................£3665 ! April 2012

Although I love this country, it has to be said it is an absolute rip off ! every thing you buy over here seems to be at least 30% more than what you would pay in the UK !

Can anyone think why shipping back to the UK is more than double the price ? I've tried hard... errrmmm maybe the tides are stronger that way around ! ?

so i take it a year was enough for you in Australia???? lol

@ Millers

Please don't get me wrong, I am only going back for personal reasons !

If it wasn't for that I could quite happily remain here till I pop my clogs !

I guess you have to pay what you have to pay ! I just don't like being ripped off...

Can you explain the price difference ?

Edited by AKA63029

I am using Seven Seas, going back to Ireland in August 2012. I was quoted $546 for 5 boxes of personal items, nothing big. I'm selling household stuff and car. I used Seven Seas coming here and I found them okay - customer service same as anywhere else, I think. Nothing great but no worse than anywhere else. I had been quoted up to $1,500, what a rip off.

Good luck with your move.

Guest sadiesmum

We are coming out to Aus in September, you can have our furniture and we can have yours! Would save us both money :)

In all seriousness, prices of furniture etc in the UK is seriously competitive at the moment (a 3 piece suite for as little as £299) , if anything the recession has helped with the cost of things as every business is fighting for your custom!

Guest AKA63029

I know this is a valid thread, but if possible peeps could we stick to the OP, (Shipping costs) we have loads of other threads concerning goods in Australia and the UK.

Cheers Tony.

Guest sadiesmum
I know this is a valid thread, but if possible peeps could we stick to the OP, (Shipping costs) we have loads of other threads concerning goods in Australia and the UK.

Cheers Tony.

My Point being Tony that if they find the cost of shipping high, it may be worth them considering not doing it. I thought the tone of my reply came across as such

Thank you Julz,

Its purely down to the strong dollar Im afraid. Its not a rip off at all. 10 years ago when the pound bought you 2.7 dollars your quoted price in Aussie dollars now would have been less than you paid in the UK. Its almost pointless converting back to pounds Im afraid, its meaningless, even though when (like me) you are returning home, it is effectively pounds you are spending.

Guest ShellBee

Shop around! I got 5 different quotes before I settled with one. The difference in price was $1000. Have chosen to go with King & Wilson.

Good luck:biggrin:

• 1 year later...

We had a very poor experience with Wridgways. We moved back to the UK in December and got 3 quotes which were roughly comparable, so we went with Wridgways as they are the AUS partner for John Mason who were excellent on the way out.

We asked for a 'forward pack' option - since we were returning to temporary accommodation, we asked for certain things like kids bedding and clothes etc to go at front of the container and be delivered to us while everything else went into storage.

The Wridgways quote was inaccurate and their service was terrible. Their inventory indicated we needed to lose about 5 cubic metres to fit into a 20 ft container - they advised us that 1 cubic metre is approx one small fridge in volume, so we duly went and got rid of loads of books, a BBQ, outdoor furniture etc which totalled up to much more than 5 cu metres, based on their advice. When the big day arrived, one of their packers was very rude and would not listen to my concerns that we were concerned about space. He packed book cases, furniture etc with huge voids that could have been filled with lighter stuff or simply flat packed to save space. They also completely misunderstood our request for forward pack items– they labelled the wrong boxes as ‘forward pack’, but we thought we’d corrected this as we checked what they had done… not so as it turned out…

When the container arrived, the packers vanished pronto, and we were told we had too much stuff for the container. We checked the inventory given to us for the quote and they’d missed off several large items. So, pretty stressed by now, we asked if we could prioritise stuff so that we’d leave items of furniture etc behind if needs be. We were then told that one cubic metre is actually 9 of their standard packing boxes, which meant that this option would mean leaving much more than just a few items behind. The container guys did their best, but we were left with almost 30 boxes of stuff that would not go into the container! So our only option was to pay Wridgways an additional fee for a shared container for our other stuff to be shipped and stored. If we’d received better advice, we’d have kept the BBQ and outdoor furniture as this would have meant a small additional fee for the shared container we now needed after all.

Several weeks later we received our forward pack items, only to find that despite us checking and reminding the packers, they labelled the wrong stuff, so out 5 and 6 year old daughters bedding didn’t arrive, not did any of their winter clothing which meant we were even more out of pocket. We’re now waiting to see what state the rest of our stuff is in when it comes out of storage – I wonder how carefully packed it was!

I have e-mailed Wridgways 3 time to complain, but have had no follow up – it seems that they have our money and we’re now on the other side of the world, so “who cares?”!

So, my advice to you is do not use Wridgways.

​Best of luck finding a suitable company.

oncerned about space. He packed book cases, furniture etc with huge voids that could have been filled with lighter stuff or simply flat packed to save space. They also completely misunderstood our request for forwaerd pack items

Edited by calNgary

We used Wridgeways when we first moved from Kalgoorlie to Vancouver, and we found them to be excellent. I think it depends on which depot and which lot of packers you get, ours were really friendly and helpful.

Chess were the Australian movers when we moved from the UK to Kalgoorlie 2 years ago. We had used Britannia on the UK side who were really good - packed everything really well, very appreciative of some nice coffees (we had to use up all our tassimo discs!), and we all sat down together at lunch time to watch Bargain Hunt! Chess on the other hand had misread our address and thought we were in Perth, so they were put out when they realised they had to come out to Kalgoorlie and decided to do it all in one day. Suffice to say they didn't have time to unpack or remove any packaging except for one kitchen box. And from that box they managed to lose two small items, one a lid for a handmade garlic pot and the other the flat base for a flan tin. I think it was because they were small items and they didn't check through all the paper in the box. I was pretty annoyed about this even though they were pretty low value things. To think they made it all the way to Kal to get thrown away at the last moment! Anyway, everything else arrived in perfect condition. Chess were actually fairly accommodating when we picked the motorbike up from their depot in Perth, and they had unpacked that well it didn't have a mark on it, but that's probably more due to the good packing and care taken by Britannia in the UK.

We've never used Pickfords, always found them to be far too expensive compared to other quotes.

I had issues with using Kent's Removers, they quoted me a price over the phone and then took an extra $2000 out of my account to move some belongings from one Perth suburb to the next!

Edited by noworriesmate
edited to take out personal comments

I find it really strange how everybody recommends different companies when it comes to shipping. You would expect the cheapest company's name would come up more often yet everyone recommends different companies each time. Hmmmmm maybe it comes down to how they are feeling on quote day lol.

Anybody reading this who is looking into shipping things back I would seriously just get your own quotes from the big names out there because it seems answers vary so much from person to person. I actually got 5 quotes and Conroys where the most expensive for me by far. Where as somebody else on here found them to be the better option.

It is definitely worth doing your own research and having the companies come visit you to do a personal quote.......you have nothing to loose and best of all it's FREE!

Its always good to share and research the service experienced by customers of shipping companies but if you are looking for information based on price I would seriously get the quotes in and compare them yourself when you have them at hand :-)

• 4 years later...
Guest Ezhilan

Hi,

If want only the international mover's means, Google all moving companies in Australia and please look at the moving company directories to know about the company. Since it is a long distance move, get at least some 4-5 quotes from different companies. Then surely you will get an idea. Else you can share the container with other, it will be economical for you. You can do loading and unloading with your friends help. But it is not easy, the process contains Door to Port, Port to Port and Port to Door steps. Then you have to hire truck both in Sydney and UK to reach your home. Both may cost the similar amount, decide based on your situation. Good Luck for your journey. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/04/2012 at 08:18, B2ENG said:

Hi All,

I am moving back to the UK soon, does anyone know who the top 4 removal companies are for shipping house contents back ??

I have a quote from Pickfords but it seems excessively high and would like to compare quotes.

I shall post my findings on here for anyone else thinking about returning home....

On 12/04/2012 at 08:18, B2ENG said:

Hi,

CBD Movers Adelaide can assist you in your moving.  Contact us to get quotes - Removalists Adelaide.

Thank