flights and stopovers! where???

kellyjamie

evening all,

so were looking at bookin our one way tickets soon and ive had a look at prices and its going to be either singapore or cathay pacific.

i cant get over how expensive emirates are now, we have flew with both emirates and singapore and when checking flights tonite emirates are £1000 more than singapore!! as for etihad they are even worse! altho malaysian air seems very cheap?

we would like to take the opportunity to stop over maybe just for a day so i was wondering if anyone can recommend singapore or hongkong?? also when booking our flights how do we add in a stop over? should we call the respective airlines and see if they can do it for us??

i really fancy hong kong but we loved flying with singapore??

many thanks

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I can't really offer advice on a stop over as I always just want to get there. But have a look at opodo.co.uk that's who I've booked our one way tickets with and they were cheaper than going direct with Singapore. We've used them before and it was all very easy. And their customer services were really good with any queries. May end up being no different but every pound counts.

AC

well malaysian airlines are coming in the cheapest by £100 then its singapore then C.P then the rest are just plain ridiculous. Ive read C.P arent great for tall people and my hubby is 6'6, singapore were fine when we flew in jan. i just really love the look of hong kong for a days visit! dont really fancy kuala lumpar?

Guest Rebecca at NAB

Hi,

As an Aussie living in London I have done the flight home a few times! and generally try and get a stopover to see somewhere new. I have flown with Cathay Pacific and Singapore and found them both to be great- although I don't have the height problem of your husband...

When I travelled a couple of years ago Singapore airlines offered discounted hotels and free transfers if you added a stopover, so I would check if they still offer that as it may make the stop a bit cheaper for you.

I really loved Hong Kong too. My only thought would be that you may want to spend longer than a day there..

Rebecca

NAB Migrant Banking

well malaysian airlines are coming in the cheapest by £100 then its singapore then C.P then the rest are just plain ridiculous. Ive read C.P arent great for tall people and my hubby is 6'6, singapore were fine when we flew in jan. i just really love the look of hong kong for a days visit! dont really fancy kuala lumpar?

Hi,

As an Aussie living in London I have done the flight home a few times! and generally try and get a stopover to see somewhere new. I have flown with Cathay Pacific and Singapore and found them both to be great- although I don't have the height problem of your husband...

When I travelled a couple of years ago Singapore airlines offered discounted hotels and free transfers if you added a stopover, so I would check if they still offer that as it may make the stop a bit cheaper for you.

I really loved Hong Kong too. My only thought would be that you may want to spend longer than a day there..

Rebecca

NAB Migrant Banking

Yep totally agree with Rebecca!!

Singapore Airlines offer great deals on stopovers in Singapore and if it is only for a day then Singapore might be the thing to do. I live in Singapore at the moment and it's the sort of place you would cover in 2-3 days so you could see quite a lot in 1 day if you pack it in!!

Hong Kong is definitely more livelier and edgier than Singapore, but as it is in essence a group of islands it may warrant more than a day.

Anyway, give me a shout if you want any help on a 1 day whistle stop tour of Singers!!!

Cheers

Noble

we stopped over in Singapore for 2 nights / 3 days and it was great, went to Singapore zoo and sentosa island and loved every minute...and we left 4 of our 5 cases in the airport luggage lock up and just took the 1 case for the 3 of us for 3 days to save lugging it all around !!!

I love Singapore, and it's just so easy to get around - the hotel we stayed in also did the most phenomenally amazing breakfast too! Hong Kong was nice (we did 3 days there, and tbh it was prolly too long for us - we don't like shopping!).

I haven't stopped over in KL, but a friend adores it, and Malaysian are meant to be pretty damned good.

:)

sentosa island in Singapore, i agree, amazing place! and then to raffles hotel for a singapore sling. Hong Kong is a culture jungle, you want to get up to 'the peak' to see the views. street food and okey cokey karaoke bars for a night cap. tuff choice between the two, both fantastic places. singapore is a lot cleaner and easier to communicate, but hong kong is just like a jakie chan movie, you got to see it to believe it!

• 2 months later...
Guest MissMySis
we stopped over in Singapore for 2 nights / 3 days and it was great, went to Singapore zoo and sentosa island and loved every minute...and we left 4 of our 5 cases in the airport luggage lock up and just took the 1 case for the 3 of us for 3 days to save lugging it all around !!!

Oooh fab tip about the suitcases!!!!

What about Qantas or Thai via Bankok? Or Air NZ via LA and New Zealand - go to Disney Land! (this flight is a bit longer though). Malaysian to KL - KL is great for a stopover. I am surprised that Emirates are so expensive - I have been flying them for years and always get a great price. Might be worth checking back in a week or so on their website as prices constantly change. If Malaysian are much cheaper I would definitely go for that - I have flown them many times - they are fantastic - I prefer them to Singapore Airlines. I would never again do just a one night stop over - did it once before and just too much hassle and you have no time to really see anything.

Archived