Teaching jobs around Australia (so few in Brisbane?!)

LukeM

Maybe not the relevant board to post this in but if it's deemed suitable for somewhere else moreso I guess it will be moved...

I'm planning on changing degree to a Bachelor of Education (from Bachelor of IT). Great number of personal reasons for doing so which I won't go into. I've noticed from having a browse of SEEK that the following subject areas seem to crop up:

- English

- Maths

- Chemistry

- Food Technology

- Physical Education.

Occasionally might see a Biology, maybe a Dance or Drama or one of the other Arts here and there but there's no sign of IT/Computing/IPT, no sign of BCT (Business Communications and Technologies) anywhere.

Also most of the jobs seem to be Sydney or Melbourne, with a fair few Perth, and occasionally one or two Brisbanes, none in SA or NT or ACT...?!

Am I just using dodgy search criteria or is this the case that there seems to be little prospect for work in teaching in Brisbane?? And that IT teaching really is dried up and has about 1 in a million vacancies if that??

Not that I actually want to teach IT, it's just an observation or two. Can anyone shed any light on this? :dull:

If you dont want to teach, then dont do it! Nothing worse than a teacher who isnt passionate about their chosen career.

Jobs for teachers are hard to come by in the places that people actually want to live. In NSW for example, in order to get a "plum" position you have to do the hardship postings first and many people dont want to live out beyond the Black Stump even for a couple of years. The only almost sure subject areas are advanced maths and science.

In my experience most government school jobs never get on to Seek - they are mainly private school positions - the govie ones are usually filled through merit and internal advertising on the gov employment sites

Edited by Quoll

Don't recall the part where I said I don't want to teach? I said "not IT" haha (sick of stupid computers!) but I'm leaning toward English/Sciences/Business.

I know it's what I've wanted to do all my life I just have been trying to go about it the wrong way (postgraduate route has changed/is changing rapidly) :arghh:

Guest Guest31881

I have a relative who qualified two years ago as a teacher in Australia, he is teaching in a school that has its fair share of problems and in small town miles from anywhere and accepts this as his right of passage to a better position in a couple of years. He has told me in the past that no one can expect to get a plumb position when they first start teaching here, its almost as if you have to start climbing the teaching ladder from the bottom and work your way up to a good school / position.

Edited to add... He is in NSW, lived in Coffs Harbour before moving to obtain teaching position

Edited by Guest31881

Hi

I would try looking on teachersonnet website - they advertise positions in independent and Cathholic schools mainly. Dept of ed jobs are usually advertised on their own website - NSW have a jobsfeed where they list all the current positions. I don't kow if QLD has a similar thing.

Teaching over here is very different and very hard to get work in any vaguely nice area. I have Aussie friends who are teachers and even they are struggling to even get interviews. Unfortunatley lots of schools already know who they want, cheap newly qualified teachers. In NSW there has been a real shift with dept of ed designating jobs as in the past - most schools here seem to advertise and it tends to be all about who you know! This is the experience of my aussie teacher friends! But Maths and Science Secondary are always needed. IN NSW there is a big recruitment drive to get current unemployed teachers to change to secondary maths! Hope this helps!

Don't recall the part where I said I don't want to teach? I said "not IT" haha (sick of stupid computers!) but I'm leaning toward English/Sciences/Business.

I know it's what I've wanted to do all my life I just have been trying to go about it the wrong way (postgraduate route has changed/is changing rapidly) :arghh:

Ah well, that's OK then - go for senior maths/science in that case, if you want a job at the end of it!