Residents Return Visa

Phil & Vikki

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can put my mind at rest. Our PR Visa expires in June and we only moved here in Feb 2011. We want to go on holiday in December for a few weeks so we will be approx 4 weeks short of the ‘2 years out of the last 5 years’ spent in oz to automatically get the RRV. We have a meeting with immigration in a couple of weeks and will have completed the relevant RRV form and have mine and my husband’s offer of employment letter, a letter from our agent to say we are living where we are living and intend to for the foreseeable future and proof that my son is in school and daughter in daycare. We will also write a statement to say we merely want to go on holiday and are only a few weeks short of the 2 years. As far as I can see the fact that we both have our job offer letters covers us for the ‘substantial employment ties’ to oz. But I am worried that immigration will say ‘no’ to renewing our 5 year visa! Am I worrying for nothing? Has anyone else applied for a RRV without completing their 2 years? Cheers Vikki

the requirement is to show substantial ties to Australia. 2 out of 5 years is just one way to do this. If you're worried, why not have a chat to an RMA? a one hour consult doens't cost the earth and would probably put your mind at rest and/or come up with additional things to add to your application.

the requirement is to show substantial ties to Australia. 2 out of 5 years is just one way to do this. If you're worried, why not have a chat to an RMA? a one hour consult doens't cost the earth and would probably put your mind at rest and/or come up with additional things to add to your application.

I think the rules have now changed - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/whats-new.htm as far as I understand it, if you have not completed 2 years out of the 5 you can only get a 1 year RRV, and for this 1 year one you need to prove "substantial ties" - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/eligibility.htm

Hi Both,

Thanks for your information, at least i'll be able to get a 1 year RRV, although makes more sense to apply for it later on in the year rather than now and effectively lose time on it while we wait to go away in December. I was just worried that if we booked our tickets they would say 'no'. Might as well book our tickets now and apply in october time. Cheers Vikki

Personally I would apply for before June so it's in place when your PR multiple entry expires. Just in case something comes up that requires you to make an emergency trip back to the UK.

Since you'll have the 2yrs residency in Feb, you'd still have plenty of time after Feb to get your application in for the 5yr RRV before the 1yr one expires. That way you don't have any gaps in coverage.

It might still be worth talking to an RMA, just to double check your strategy.

Just spoken to the exact same agent who dealt with our PR visa and she's said that we should get a 5 year one but if not definately will get a 1 year or 3 month visa, but not to apply for it until October time as we will be wasting time if we aren't going til the end of the year. Although i take your point about any 'emergency' trips that might happen. I can breathe a sigh of relief now and go book my tickets for xmas in the uk!!