Carpenter Skills assesment- how much? where? points? trying for a 475. PLEASE HELP!

tmatt

Hi Guys,

So I have some questions that i'm going to keep in the one post if that's ok. If anyone can shed any light for me I would be hugely appreciative!

So i'm a 26 year old carpenter from the UK. I've been to Oz on a WHV and came back to this "country" 6 months ago. I am now desperate to go back.

I have no paper qualification- time served.

I have a Grandfather in Perth that will sponsor me on a 475.

On the current points system I have

30 for my age,

10 for my IELTS (8.0),

10 for my grandad sponsoring me,

5 for working year in Oz

5 for working 3 or more years in UK

So 60 points at the moment.

Now the questions:

On my IELTS I received a score of 8.0-(7.5,7.0,8.5,8.5), Does this definitely mean I will only get classed as a level 7 having not cleared 8 in all 4 areas? If so then I will re-take and providing I pass this will give me my 70 points. Just rather not do it again!

Alternatively (and I may still do this regardless) there is a very short course for time-served tradies such as myself that I could complete- It is an NVQ- would this be recognised as a trade qualification for 10 points?

I need to have my skills assessed by I believe the TRA? Does anyone know who does this in the UK (I am based in London-although will obviously travel anywhere), how much this generally costs and potentially most important- how long this takes in terms of booking it now and completing?

Where all the applications are changing on July 1st I really need to book a test in between now and then- does anyone know what the wait time is on this kind of thing?

Would I be able to start the visa process without this in place first- providing it will be completed shortly after application?

Are points given if you complete this assessment?

How difficult is this course? If they chuck up something i've not done loads of how harsh will they be?

Do I get a chance to re-take?

I have my girlfriend that I would like to place on the visa also- does this cost extra?

She is French, has an IELTS of 7.5 and we have been together for long enough and can get the evidence to prove etc.

How difficult a process is it to add her? If she did not qualify for any reason would it affect my visa application? Or would they just minus hers off?

One other option that I would like to know about is State sponsorship. I know it make no difference in terms of points but is this easier in any way to get? Do they have to place you in their own specified area? For instance WA has itself completely as a designated area but if I go state sponsorship with them will they still allow me to choose where to go within WA?

Help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to go into this EOI thing they're doing now!

Many thanks.

Terry

Hi Matt - Welcome to PIO

You have many questions.....

I have no paper qualification- time served.

I have a Grandfather in Perth that will sponsor me on a 475.

On the current points system I have

30 for my age,

10 for my IELTS (8.0),

10 for my grandad sponsoring me

5 for working year in Oz

You need the whole year on work experiance - having 1 week short of 52 weeks you wont get the points

On my IELTS I received a score of 8.0-(7.5,7.0,8.5,8.5), Does this definitely mean I will only get classed as a level 7 having not cleared 8 in all 4 areas?
Yes you need 8 in all areas for 20 points.

Alternatively (and I may still do this regardless) there is a very short course for time-served tradies such as myself that I could complete- It is an NVQ- would this be recognised as a trade qualification for 10 points?
I beleive a positive skills assessment gives you 10 points for trades

I need to have my skills assessed by I believe the TRA? Does anyone know who does this in the UK (I am based in London-although will obviously travel anywhere), how much this generally costs and potentially most important- how long this takes in terms of booking it now and completing?

Where all the applications are changing on July 1st I really need to book a test in between now and then- does anyone know what the wait time is on this kind of thing?

It is very unlikely that you will get a positive skills assessment before 1 July.
Would I be able to start the visa process without this in place first- providing it will be completed shortly after application?

NO you require positive skills assessment BEFORE you apply for the visa.

Are points given if you complete this assessment?

How difficult is this course? If they chuck up something i've not done loads of how harsh will they be?

Do I get a chance to re-take?

Cant tell you much about TRA but if your qualification was done by apprenticeship - I believe that you need 8 years of work experiance - 5 years training and 3 years after that.

I have my girlfriend that I would like to place on the visa also- does this cost extra?

She is French, has an IELTS of 7.5 and we have been together for long enough and can get the evidence to prove etc.

How difficult a process is it to add her? If she did not qualify for any reason would it affect my visa application? Or would they just minus hers off?

If you have been in a defacto relationship for 12 months and have joint bank accounts, lease, bills etc etc she can be added as your defacto at no extra cost - as she has already proven secondary english requirement

One other option that I would like to know about is State sponsorship. I know it make no difference in terms of points but is this easier in any way to get? Do they have to place you in their own specified area? For instance WA has itself completely as a designated area but if I go state sponsorship with them will they still allow me to choose where to go within WA?
If you went for 475 WA state sponsorship you can not live in Perth, only Regional WA to be able to qualify for the PR after 2 years. (only family sponsored 475 you are able to live in Perth) 176SS will give you PR can live anywhere in WA for the 2 years associated with the SS agreement. Sponsored by the state gives you priority processing 3, Family sponsored priority 4. If you dont have enough points for the PR family sponsored is better as there is better review rights on family sponsored visas.

Help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to go into this EOI thing they're doing now!
Expression of Interest starts 1 Jul 2012 - and you likely wont have a choice. But getting as much points as possible will be your best way to be able to apply therefore may mean doing the IELTS again - sorry Edited by lebourvellec

You currently have 60 points - if you get Positive skills would give you 70 points, if you got 8's for all sections in IELTS would give you 80 points - with a pass mark of 65 I can see why you wouldnt be invited especially when your occupation is on SOL 1.

Run your case past a Registered Migration Agent, they will be able to assess your case better. No one can predict how the EOI and invitation to apply is going to affect applications it might not be as bad as everyone is thinking.