Melbourne Employment market 2012

AndrewRomford

Hi,

I am moving to Victoria (Melbourne) in August 2012 and will be looking for IT work, does anyone have any recent experience of the Melbourne market for desktop support work.

I am most interested in how long anyone else found it to get a half decdent role. It looks like I will only be able to actively seek a role once I am on the ground.

My wife is a school teacher, and it would be interesting to know hom much relief work there might be in Melbourne. It sounds like a car is essential to get about.

Thanks

Andy

I suggest you look at Seek, Career One and The Age newspaper. If you read The Age on line every day they have adverts for jobs listed on the site. Saturday Age has an employment supplement.

Teachers, depends what your wife teaches. There is supply but I have read recently that its hit and miss and I know my daughter did it for a while and it dried up for her, mainly because she is a secondary school teacher and the subjects she teaches.

Arts subjects lots of teachers, science and maths is where the shortage is. Also good areas are not short of teachers. Western Suburbs are probably looking for teachers because like doctors they do not want to move over that side of the city. Too far from elite schools.

Teachers are required in country areas though.

Hi Andy, I work for IBM. Most of our support is done from India, however there are a few guys employed locally on site. They are all contractors (in other words none of them work for IBM). So I reckon you may have to find a contract to start off, but this is very common.

Although it is hard to get a job before you land, it is not so hard to set up interviews. I set up three before I arrived, and five years later I am still in a job I got from one of those. But get on the phone!!! Don't just send emails and wait for a response, get up at 5am in the UK and ring the companies and recruiters directly - "I sent you my CV yesterday, I'll be landing in Australia in 2 weeks, could we make a time to meet". That's what worked for me.

HTH

BB

Hi, I work on St Kilda Road which is close to the CBD, we have our own support desk for our products and I would be happy to forward your CV to our HR team. If you can private message me what kind of support / system you have experience with and I will let them know. Please Pm me for my email address.

I've been here with my family for almost 2 years and we love it :-)

Edited by Guest31881
removed personal details.

Guest Guest31881

***** can member please refrain from posting personal details on the open forum such as email address and or telephone numbers. These details can be passed to each other using the PM system *******

Guest Guest31881
Sorry SRP I didn't realize :-(

No need to apologise,

We remove the details because there are programs that are designed to troll forums and collect Email address and phone details, they can be sold on for reasons of Spamming emails or cloning email address for spammers to use.:wink:.