Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'uk tax'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Visitor Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 6 results

  1. Martinbjulieb

    Residency when drawing your Super

    We have been back in the U.K. for just over two years now and were in Australia for 10. When we first moved we transferred a personal pension and my civil service works pension into 2 Australian super funds. My question is, when we reach 60 (our preservation ages) how long do you have to be resident in Australia for to withdraw your funds? For example could you take an extended holiday for a few months? Is so we would then transfer the money back to the U.K. using Moneycorp or the like and invest it here. Then we would just declare to HMRC the interest gained each year? Like you do on U.K. bank accounts/investments. Is that the way to do it? Otherwise we would just transfer amounts each year that would keep us under or just over the tax free threshold. Any advice greatly received! Thanks.
  2. A reminder that HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) must receive your 2019 personal UK tax return and any money you owe in respect of the year to the 5th of April 2019 by the 31st of January 2020. If you have been issued with a Notice to File a 2019 UK tax return the return must be completed and lodged if a late filing penalty is to be avoided. Penalties start at £100 if your tax return is received by HMRC a day late. An additional daily penalty at the rate of £10 per day is added if the tax return remains outstanding more than 3 months after the due date (with a maximum daily penalty of £900), with additional penalties arising if the tax return remains outstanding more than 6 months after the due date for filing. These penalties apply even if there is no tax to pay. If a balance of tax is payable for the 2018/19 UK tax year and has not been paid by the end of January 2020 interest will start to accrue. Best regards.
  3. Alan Collett

    Avoid that fine!

    The 2019 UK tax return filing deadline is now less than 2 months away. This tax return can now only be submitted electronically - the deadline for sending paper 2019 tax returns to HMRC was the end of October 2019. If you: * Have a 2019 UK tax return to submit, and * Are not resident in the UK, or moved to the UK during the year to 5th April 2019 you will need to submit your 2019 UK tax return using tax software, or through a tax accountant who submit UK tax returns using the accountant's tax software. A UK tax return in such circumstances should include a Residence supplement (form SA109) which cannot be submitted through the HMRC Gateway. Best regards.
  4. Hi, I am married but my wife will migrate to Australia and be tax resident there probably for 2 or 3 yrs before I will migrate myself. She will work and pay taxes in Australia and live in a house in Australia that we will buy. I will stay in the UK in our main residence where my wife and I have lived for 16 years. When I sell the family home in the UK (let's say in 2 years from now) what is the CGT situation? I'm pretty sure I would have no CGT liability as I'm resident in the house and a UK tax payer. The question is really about my wife's situation. Is there a CGT liability in both the UK AND in Australia? Are there any allowances for it being her "main" residence despite not having lived there for 2 years? I read somewhere that to get CGT relief in the UK she must live in the UK house for 90 days in the year. This may not be possible in her case. I've started thinking about taking her name off the deeds of the house as a solution but it seems a bit drastic!! Thanks in advance for your comments! Skippy
  5. Tucked away in the UK Chancellor’s Autumn Statement of last week is some festive cheer – the continued availability of the UK personal allowance for non-UK resident individuals until April 2017 at least. What is more, the UK personal allowance will increase to £10,600 from the 6th of April, 2015. As some will know, there has been an ongoing consultative exercise by the UK Government into the withdrawal of the UK personal allowance for non-UK resident individuals. This would have impacted most those persons with UK income that is not also taxable in the country in which they are residing. It would also have opened up additional compliance obligations for those non-UK residents who presently do not complete a UK personal income tax return each year. For example, HM Revenue is often happy to allow non-UK residents with UK rental property to not complete an annual tax return where the net rental income is less than the personal allowance. The detailed commentary from the UK Government in the 2014 Autumn Statement reads as follows: Restricting entitlement to the personal allowance for non-residents – At Budget 2014 the government launched a consultation on whether or not to restrict the Income Tax personal allowance for non-residents. Whilst the government believes there is a strong rationale for doing this, it recognises it is a complex change for both employers and individuals who may be affected. The government will continue to discuss implementation of this change with stakeholders. Should the government decide to proceed, a more detailed consultation will be undertaken. No change will come into effect before April 2017. Best regards.
  6. Andy Sephton

    UK and Australian tax years

    Hi, I have recently become an Australian permanent resident, meaning I now have to declare my UK income here. My question fro this forum is does anyone know if I have to declare my UK income for the last UK financial year (April 2013-March 2014) or for the dates of the Australian financial year (July 2013 - June 2014). Just a bit confused as I have only paid tax on my UK income up to April 2014 so not sure how to report my income and how much tax I have paid on it in the UK from the period from April to June this year. Hope that makes some kind of sense and that someone can help me. Thanks.