Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'tax returns'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Visitor Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 3 results

  1. A question asked regularly by those who are moving to Australia is whether there is a need to lodge a UK tax return. HM Revenue & Customs – or HMRC – issues tax returns in April each year to individuals who are already in the UK Self Assessment tax system. Once HMRC has issued a tax return or a Notice to File to a taxpayer the return must be lodged by the due date if a late filing penalty is to be avoided. Note: The due date for lodging a UK tax return is usually: 31st of October following the end of the tax year if submitting a hard copy (ie paper) tax return 31st of January following the end of the tax year if submitting the tax return electronically Thus, the due date for lodging a 2018 personal tax return with HMRC electronically will be the 31st of January, 2019. It is known for HMRC to agree to withdraw the request a Self Assessment tax return if all income is being taxed under PAYE, or if the taxpayer has departed the UK to live overseas – ie became non tax resident in the UK – before the start of the tax year under review and has no ongoing source of income that remains subject to tax in the UK even though non resident. The most commonly encountered UK source of income that remains subject to tax in the UK when an individual is not UK resident is rental income from a property located in the UK. So what happens if you are not in the Self Assessment regime? Most taxpayers in the UK are not required to lodge a tax return because their income is taxed through the UK Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system. However, individuals with the following circumstances should take active steps to enrol in the UK’s Self Assessment regime, and to lodge a UK tax return for the previous UK tax year: You were self-employed You received £2,500 or more in the form of untaxed income after allowable deductions, such as from renting out a property, or in the form of dividends or interest from savings and investments You received dividends or interest of £10,000 or more from savings or investment income You made a capital gain from selling investments such as shares, a second home or other chargeable assets of an amount in excess of the Capital Gains Tax Annual Exemption You were a company director – unless it was for a non-profit organisation (eg a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car Your income (or your partner’s income) was more than £50,000, and one of you claimed Child Benefit You received income from abroad on which you need to pay UK tax (eg from a rental property located outside the UK) You lived abroad and had a UK income You received dividends from shares and you are paying income tax at the higher or additional rate Your total income was over £100,000 You were a trustee of a trust, or of a registered pension scheme HM Revenue has an online tool to check whether there is a need to enrol in the Self Assessment system and to lodge a UK tax return here. The most commonly encountered circumstance where a person living overseas is required to complete a UK tax return is where a UK located property has been retained and is being let. For such individuals the tax return will include the Property and Residence supplements. It should be noted that the Residence supplement cannot be lodged through the HMRC website – options include submitting a paper return by the 31st of October following the end of the tax year, buying commercial software that allows for the preparation and e-submission of the supplement, or instructing a firm of tax accountants. If you are uncertain whether you have to complete a UK tax return, or have a need to enrol in the UK Self Assessment system we invite you to contact Collett and Co Tax to discuss how we might help. We will be pleased to have an initial free no obligation conversation to discuss your tax situation, whether there is a need to submit a UK tax return, and how we might help. Our fees are fixed in amount, and are agreed in advance of you having a commitment to us.
  2. Hi, Im about to complete my first year in Oz and obviously I need to do a tax return here. I have a property I rent out in the UK that provides my a partial income into my Australian bank account. Is this something I need to declare here or would it be better to declare it under my allowance in the UK as a tax allowance?? What are other people doing? I am registered with the non resident landlord scheme in UK to receive my rent gross without tax deducted from my agent.. Many thanks
  3. Hi, we are new to this site although I have been reading the threads for a while now. My husband, my 7 yr old and me have been in Perth for a yr now on a 457 visa. AS you would all be aware, it is now tax time which we are finding taxing!! I read on this site a while ago that if someone is on a 457 they are entitled to LAFH (Livng Away from Home Allowance)when doing their tax returns. However now when we are enquiring about it, we are told that we are not eligible as my husband found a job here and then moved(i.e he was not transferred by his company from UK to here by his company) and also that if we have been living here for more than 183 days, we do not qualify. One of the guys explained how LAFH and it sounded very attractive. Would hate to miss out on it . We would be very grateful if anyone who knows anyhing about the above could help clarify things for us. And also maybe recommend a tax agent. Many thanks