Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'subclass 500'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 2 results

  1. Hi, I'm a bit confused and hope you can help me. I am currently studying in Australia at a college. I have Student Visa Subclass 500 (Sector: Vocational Education- VET). I have started on April 15 2019 and it hasn't yet been 6 months. My wife is my partner dependent, she has my same visa. We both have work limitation condition 8104. I am currently trying to switch from college to do masters degree. I am awaiting results from a university regarding my admission and I should receive a response within a week as education starts on 15th of July. According to my wifes current visa condition (condition 8104) she cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight as I am studying at a college. According to that condition she can work unlimited hours if I study masters degree. I have talked to visa department but as always they were themselves confused and I couldn't get definitive answer. As I understand my further steps are as following. 1. Wait for the offer letter from university for masters degree. 2. Ask my current education provider (college) for a release letter so that they allow me to switch my course and provider. As It hasn't yet been 6 months since start of my studies, I need their permission. 3. Once both of my education providers agree and update my details I will need to send my new certificate of enrolment to visa department and update my details there. Now I have a few questions. As much as I understood, as I switch to higher level of education, I don't need to apply for a new visa. My question is will Sector field of my and my wifes current visa be changed from VET to Higher Education after I start studying at masters level ? If no, will my wife be able to work unlimited hours after I start my masters degree education ? Condition 8104 states that IF I study at a masters level or PHD my partner can work more than 40 hour per fortnight. It doesn't say "if your sector is VET she can not but if it's higher education she can". I would be extremely thankful if you guys could answer my 2 following questions: 1. will the sector part on my current visa change ? if it doesn't change, does it even matter what it says ? 2. If sector part of my visa doesn't change but I legitimately start studying at masters level, will my partner be able to work more than 40 hours per fortnight ? Thanks in advance guys.
  2. Hello all, My dependent visa (subclass 500) has just been cancelled six months after my then-partner left the country and his school notified immigration of his termination of study/departure (last July). Meanwhile, I was in Australia when that visa was cancelled, and with that my ETA (subclass 600) then ceased to exist. I called up immigration for advice and they instructed me to apply for a BVE to rectify my situation. A compliance officer called after receiving my application and told me I needed to provide flight details as to when I am leaving the country, and that a 3-year re-entry ban will be imposed on me. It's been nearly 20 days and I have yet to have the BVE granted since I have been trying to clarify my situation with the help of a lawyer, who is proven to be of no help. Sorry for the lengthy post but being wrecked by anxiety and horror I hope the experts here could help answer some of my questions.. - Do all visa cancellations lead to a re-entry ban? Most websites, including that of the immigration, state that only if you violate certain conditions, e.g. overstaying your visa, working as a tourist etc. would you be imposed such ban. In that case, can I argue I should not have been receiving such ban? - My understanding is leaving the country with a BVE can imply a re-entry ban. However I was told by immigration that when the dependent visa was cancelled that was the only option I had when I was rendered without any visa. Obviously I would not want to obtain a BVE if I knew of the ban, but then I would have been staying/leaving the country without a visa. My point is an hour after I realised my ex-partner's visa, hence my dependent's visa, was cancelled and my ETA unfortunately also ceased to exist, I had promptly acted on the situation i.e. apply for a BVE as told to remain lawful. Not sure why I should be penalised or considered a risk? - I have assumed my ex-partner, and you can imagine we have had minimum contact given the nature of our breakup, has carried out all the right and necessary steps to cancel his student visa upon leaving his course. He talked to immigration numerous times and was told he didn't need to do anything if his school was on it. His school had emailed him about them having notified immigration he decided to leave the course/country. The immigration only cancelled the visa six months later. So did he voluntarily ask to have his visa cancelled? In immigration's eye did he leave his student visa unattended, even though he was told it was good enough to inform the school, which would then inform immigration? If so, is this the reason of this cancellation is leading to a re-entry ban? - Since the cancellation of my ETA is tied to the cancellation of the dependent visa/student visa, to which I have no right to appeal because it was cancelled while the holder (my ex-partner) was overseas. However, being also the holder, albeit 'secondary' of the visa, I was onshore. Does it mean I have no right to appeal this situation whatsoever? I was of the wrong impression that applying for an ETA before I came would cover my bases in case the dependent gets cancelled and was not aware of the legislation hidden deep in the Migration Act but have only wanted to come as a genuine tourist. I'm stuck in a limbo and terrified of the future where there seems to be no options whatsoever. The lawyer who I counted on has been half-hearted at best on my case and 20 days have passed no new information/change has been obtained my the immigration. If you know anything about the subject, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.