Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'sponsor or employer'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 7 results

  1. TheStantons

    Looking for Sponsorship

    Hi there! We are a married couple in 20/30s, no children, who are looking for sponsorship. We have returned from Oz to the UK as we were both on Working Holiday Visas which expired. We would love to return to WA and have family/friends in WA. I am from England-Devon- and I have Australian work experience in Administration, Customer Service/Sales. I also worked in a Prison where I helped in Reception. In the UK I have experience working within Education and Training. My husband is form Wales-Maesteg- and he has Australian work experience in Carpentry and Joinery, Removals (he has Ozzie HR Licence and Ozzie Forklift Licence), Factory work and Deliveries. In the UK he works as a Carpenter and Joiner. We loved our time in Australia and are so, so, so keen to return. We only returned because we had to. We are sick of the rain and the moaning and want to go back to Oz asap!! If anyone could help us or knows anyone who could help us that would be fantastic. Any help we get we would both be so grateful. We are genuine people who just want an opportunity to prove ourselves and return to Oz. We can supply both Ozzie and UK references and happy to skype interview if this would be a good idea. Thank you for any replies we get.
  2. Kevin McAuley

    The 101 on the 457 visa - How I did it

    If you’re thinking of moving to the land of Oz, and you fancy yourself to be a bit of a skilled worker, the 457 visa may be your way to do it. What it is The 457 visa, is technically a subclass of something called the Temporary Skilled Work Standard Business Sponsorship. The Australian Government has been working over the past few years to reduce the processing times for 457 applications, which is great news for people like you and me! What it entitles you to – The 457 allows you to stay in Australia for a period of 4 years. After these 4 years are up, your employer can either renew your 457, or you can apply for Australian Permanent Residency after 2 years (I’ll be sure to come back give you a rundown of this process if I eventually end up doing this myself) Conditions of the visa – There are a few conditions of the visa which you need to meet to continue being eligible. · You must work full time (i.e. at least 35 hours a week) for the whole duration of your stay. If you stop working for that employer for whatever reason, you’ve got 28 days to find a new employer to sponsor you, or unfortunately, you’ll have to leave Oz. · You can only work for one employer at a time. So no part time jobs or freelancing. Is it the right visa for you? The 457 may be right for you if: · You have a skill you think would be useful to an employer in Australia (whether it be a technical, professional or manual skill) · You want to move to Australia temporarily, with the intention to move permanently. How much will it cost? $350 at the time of your application. Depending on your employer, they may pay this fee for you, but be prepared to pay it if you have to. Steps: 1. Before you go – Start scoping out the job market in Australia BEFORE you leave, and think about what type of industry you’d like to work in. It doesn’t hurt to test the waters and start emailing a few companies to see if they’ve got any jobs available. 2. Working Holiday Visa – My suggestion would be to apply for a Working Holiday visa, which is easy to do online. Some of people use this as a kind of “foot in the door” way to actually get to Australia, and allows them to find a job while they’re actually there, at it’s often easier if you can meet with employers face to face, rather than over the phone or email. Almost goes without saying, but make sure you’ll be financially able to support yourself during your job search! 3. Make it clear to your company that you’re after the 457 sponsorship – I made it clear from day one that my goal was to get the 457 sponsorship through the company. So be upfront and let them know you’ll be willing to work hard for it. 4. Apply through your company – If all goes well and your company is happy to sponsor you, they’ll first have to apply to be a sponsor (if they haven’t already). I was lucky in that my company had already sponsored quite a few people before, but check that your employer is willing to do so (it’s a $425 fee they’ll have to pay, plus $85 to nominate you specifically). 5. Gather your documents – If your employer has sponsored a few people before, like my employer had, there should be someone within the company who’s experienced in the process and should be able to help you out by starting the application online for you. Then you’ll just have to go in and fill in your parts of the form. You’ll need to upload authorized copies of things like your passport, birth certificate (most post offices can authorise copies for you). 6. Apply – lodge the application online. Theoretically it takes 22 days for processing, but like I said, this should be much shorter now due to changes in the Australian Government budget. Things to keep in mind: · As I’ve said in a previous post, be prepared to work your butt of in the job you find – your employer must see you as a valuable employee. · Consider travelleing a bit first if you can, this is something I didn’t do and regret to a certain degree. · You could do regional work to get a 2nd working holiday visa which could then give you over 18 months to find that sponsor. That’s it! I know this all seems kind of complicated at first, and as with any applications through the government, it can be! But I hope this has at least given you a bit of an introduction and summary As always, feel free to PM me with any questions you have – happy to share my advice =)If you’re thinking of moving to the land of Oz, and you fancy yourself to be a bit of a skilled worker, the 457 visa may be your way to do it.
  3. Hi all Im looking for sponsorship in oz, currently living in Ireland. Anyone know any of good sites to check out, or better again of any employers that do sponsorship for wall and floor tilers?? I am a fully qualified wall and floor tiler, a member of the National Guild of Master Craftsmen and hold a National Craft Fetac Level 6 Advanced qualification with almost 20 yrs experience. Need to emigrate fast, no work here in Ireland!! Keith
  4. Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out if sponsors/employers recruiting workers from UK on 457 visas generally pay for flights out to Australia?!? I was under the impression that they generally do pay for relocation costs but my employer has just told me they will pay half of my flight out... that's it... I've read a lot of threads regarding the employer's obligation to pay for return flights (if employee wants to leave) but is there any obligation for them to pay for getting out there in the first place? What should I do? I feel uncomfortable fighting my corner about these things but they chose to recruit from UK... surely they should've recruited from Australia if they didn't want to pay for these costs!!! :mad: Thanks!
  5. Hi Everyone, This is our first post and literally our first visit on the forum and we are very much in need of some help, hope you are able to assist. Here is our situation in brief and our plans... Our situation... My wife is a serving Police Officer in the UK. We recently applied to Western Australia Police Force as they were recruiting current serving UK officers. My wife was successful and we received a formal job offer which we accepted. Unfortunately WAPOL have now withdrawn the job offer before we moved to WA due to becoming overstaffed. We are now looking into an alternative route to gain permanent residency in Aus, preferably WA, but we will consider other states. A little bit about us... We are a family of 3. Myself: 36 years old with previous experience in Sales and currently working as a successful self employed Personal Trainer for the last 6 years. My wife, 38 years old, a Detective Constable in the UK for the last 10 years. Our baby son who is just 8 months old. We have significant savings for the move and to help us get set up however we ideally prefer to use these savings for a future house deposit when we obtain perm res. Our proposed plan... As it stands we do not have careers that enable us to apply via the Skilled Workers route. Our current careers are not on the list so our points are low. So, instead - after speaking with a migration consultancy here in the UK - we were made aware of the option to apply for a student visa to study in Aus for 2 years with a view to staying upto 3.5 years by completing a post grad qual too. They advised us that whilst in Aus we should simply explore sponsorship from an employer - ideally in the field in which I will be studying - to obtain permanent residency. Sounds like a simple enough plan to me. We are now just beginning to research whether this is a viable, affordable and logistically possible route for us to obtain perm res. How you may be able to help us... We need help! Here come the questions! We would appreciate any info you can provide on this or any experiences you can share, thanks in advance!:biggrin: Have you been down this type of route? Did it work? We hear the student visa route has changed recently, how will this affect our application? How easy/common is it to obtain sponsorship from an employer? Which trades are in most demand and will remain in demand for the foreseeable future? How long do you have to work for an employer whilst going through the sponsorship process. Are we eligible for any type of assistance or funding? We heard that we would have to pay for literally everything from tuition fees to medical fees etc etc. Can we easily go from a 2 year qual to post grad for a further 1.5 years. That is all we can think of at the moment and we very much hope that if you have already explored this route then you would be able to share your experiences with us in order to help us get a better picture on what we may expect. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this as we appreciate that there are lots of threads on this forum. Please feel free to direct us to any threads that we may have missed that are relevant to this post. Kind regards Mark & Lynn.:biggrin:
  6. Hello, I am so keen to move to Oz and I am hoping to apply for temporary business visa (457) but firstly I would need to find a sponsor and I don’t know where to start! I have been working in the local government as a Support Officer for the last 10 years. Do I need to contact all the authorities and potential employers and ask if they would consider taking someone in from overseas? Also, is it worth taking a chance to apply jobs vacancies online? If you have got any advice or tips, I would love to hear from you (please PM me if you wish ) – it would be really helpful. Thanks, Claire