Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'protected scv'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Visitor Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.


  • Community Calendar

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 1 result

  1. Hi All, I am applying for 309. My Aussie (by birth) wife has Kiwi Parents who have been living in Australia since the 70s. Because they entered prior to Feb 2001 they never had to obtain permanent residency. I understand they have something called protected Special category visa (SCV) which gives them all of the benefits of permanent residency without having to go through the official process (eg healthcare, unemployment benefit etc). I believe they have the ability to apply for PR but they are not obliged to (and they haven't). Me and my wife are filling out the application for 309 and have to declare the visa status of her family members and none seem an obvious fit for the circumstances. Options are: - Australian Citizen (clearly does not apply to them) - Permanent Resident (strictly speaking no but they have quasi PR by virtue of their protected SCV) - Temporary Resident (they've been in Aus for 40+ years but are they considered temporary whilst living on kiwi passports without formal PR? - Student (no) - Other (maybe but this seems to be the status for people without any Aussie status)