Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'nonresident'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 4 results

  1. Has anyone any experience of this? Phoned 4 Estate agents to get an idea of rental managing costs (average £400 pre new tenant and 10% running cost) and only one agent mentioned the NRLS. I do not know much about this but apparently Letting agents and Tenants have to let HMRC know about how much rent is paid and keep records. Letting Agents have to withold tax (unless an exemption from tax is allowed) after calculating deductible expenses etc. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Was just over in UK and tried to open an a/c there (want to buy property) but they said the Oz govt won't allow Australian residents to hold a/c's in UK. I've a small joint a/c in the UK but they want a credit check done before I could open a new account and of course that means providing job info etc...impossible as we live in Oz. Is it worthwhile looking at offshore banking options...I want to keep some money in Sterling.
  3. ZeroBantam

    457 & Non-Resident TFN

    Hi I recently arrived in Sydney on a 457 visa and applied for my tax file number pretty much straight away. I've just recieved it today and the letter states that i'm classed as Non-Resident when i thought (using the tool on the ATO website) that i would be classed as a resident for tax purposes. Does anyone know if you get classed as a Non-Resident and then after been here 6 months you change to resident? Also, if i have been classed wrong, do i just need to go to the local ATO and get it changed? Thanks in advance Andy
  4. With the exchange rate so low, we're thinking about leaving some sterling in a UK deposit fund to earn some interest while we wait for the exchange rate to improve (maybe that's wishful thinking). Does anyone know whether we would be liable to UK tax on the interest earned once we've become non-residents of the UK? I know that Australia taxes its residents on all earnings world-wide but we would place the cash in my spouse's name who will have 0% marginal tax rate in Australia. I guess if we had to pay UK basic rate tax, we could get a credit via the double taxation agreement, but it's a bit messy. Anyone come across this specific situation?