Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'non-contributory parent visa'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 1 result

  1. My parents (aged 68/70) currently live in the UK and have been visiting Australia for 3 months at a time for the last 8 years. They are looking to move to Australia permanently and pass the balance of family test - my husband and I will be sponsors. We looked at the options and decided the Aged Parent Visa (804) would be the way to go. Now I'm not sure. I understand the Aged Parent means they have temporary residency in Australia (for the 30 years it takes to get the visa), however you're no longer a resident in the UK after 3 month living abroad. This effectively leaves them in limbo not considered resident in any country when it comes to health care. I know they will have access to Medicare under the reciprocal health agreement, but what is classed as emergency treatment? If either parent is diagnosed with a serious illness would that be treated under medicare? How much should we budget if not? UK pension will be frozen when they leave, meaning they could be seriously out of pocked in 10-20 years. I see there are still people campaigning against this, but it doesn't look hopeful. Second option is the Contributory Parent Visa, which I believe will cost close to $100,000 for both parents. ($47k each) How long is it until this visa is granted if they apply in Australia? How long until they are covered for full Medicare? Can they apply for a Pension Card straight away? Can they claim AU pension in 10 years time? Are there any other benefits to paying for this visa other than instant access to full Medicare? (And is it actually instant?) Is there anyone here who has been though this process with their parents? Any issues I should consider? Thank you.