Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'lump sum'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 1 result

  1. HI, I am hoping someone can please give me some guidance and answer a few questions regarding taking a lump sum in the UK and declaring the tax in the UK and AU. I am a duel British/Australian citizen living in Australia since 2002. Having turned 60 I have a UK PP in the amount of 18,000 GBP to access. The money is only available as a lump sum or as an annuity so I want to take the full amount. I know that the first 25% of the value of the fund is tax free so I should receive 4,500 before being taxed. I am told that the remaining 75% will be taxed at 40% so that would leave me with an additional 8,100 GBP. I am assuming I declare this amount but converted in AU $ on my tax return, so around $22,000. My first question is: can I deduct from this, the amount that was in the fund before I became resident in Australia? My next questions are: Once I receive the funds, do I apply to HMRC for a tax rebate on the basis that I should have been taxed on a lower income threshold? And also, if I then receive a rebate do I also declare that on my Australian tax return? Finally, can I offset all the tax I end up paying in the UK? I have not earned an income either here or in the UK for the last couple of years. Hope this is laid out clearly enough to make sense, I am finding it pretty confusing! Many thanks for any assistance you can provide!