Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'capital gains tax'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Visitor Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 6 results

  1. Wanderer Returns

    Taxed at both ends?

    Hi, I'm a British/Australian citizen and I returned to Australia in January after 5 years in the UK. My house sale in the UK is proceeding, but I'm now an Australian resident for tax purposes. The house is my only property and principle residence. I bought it for £240,000 in May 2018 and I'm now selling it for £258,000. Will I be liable for any kind of CGT or income tax in either the UK or Australia? Many thanks in advance.
  2. Since the start of the 2015/16 tax year the UK has required capital gains tax to be considered when a non UK resident individual sells a residential property in the UK. Before the 6th of April, 2015 no capital gains tax was payable. Key points are: In calculating the charge to UK CGT the tax computation has reference to the property’s market value as at the 6th of April, 2015. However, taxpayers are given the option to time apportion the gain since the property was acquired – ie over the whole period of ownership (pre-6th April, 2015, and post that date), or to calculate the gain (or loss) over the whole period of ownership of the property. Non UK resident individuals (and trustees) are given the same CGT Annual Exemption as is available to UK residents: for UK tax year 2017/18 this is £11,300 for individuals and £5,650 for trustees. Non UK resident individuals pay CGT at 18% or 28% upon the disposal of a residential property in the UK, depending on the level of their other income and the amount of the gain. Principal Private Residence (PPR) relief continues to be available. Under the new regime PPR relief is only available (determined on a year to year basis) if the individual making the disposal is tax resident in the same country as the property for that tax year, or the individual meets a “90 day rule”. To meet the “90 day rule”, the individual must have spent at least 90 midnights in the property in the tax year for which the PPR relief is claimed. This means that non UK resident individuals who spend 90 nights a year or more in the UK are able to sell their property free of UK CGT. However – and importantly – such individuals will need to be careful that they do not then become UK resident for general tax purposes. In particular, such individuals will need to have reference to the UK’s Statutory Residence Test, under which an individual’s UK tax residency status is considered based on the time spent in the UK as well as a “sufficient ties” test (one of which is a 90 day test). The new occupancy test does not apply for any year that a spouse or civil partner is UK resident. PRR applies for that year in the normal way in that relief is given to the extent that the property is the taxpayer’s only or main residence. Importantly, a non resident taxpayer selling a residential property in the UK is required to report the disposal of the property on a Non Resident CGT (NRCGT) return within 30 days of the day after the date the property sale is completed (i.e. the date when title is conveyed). Any CGT owing is also to be paid to HM Revenue within the same timeline, unless the taxpayer is already within the UK’s self assessment (SA) system. Most who are non UK resident and who are letting a UK property will already be lodging UK tax returns each year under the SA system. If the taxpayer is already within the UK’s SA system, s/he will still need to report the disposal on a NRCGT return within 30 days, with payment of tax arising then to be made as part of the normal end of year tax payment to HMRC. The NRCGT return is lodged online through the HM Revenue web site. Taxpayers who are already within the SA system report the disposal on the NRCGT return within 30 days of the conveyance and on the SA tax return for the tax year in which the property is sold. More specifically, the relevant SA tax return is for the year when the disposal took place, remembering that a disposal for CGT purposes takes place when the contract to sell the property is agreed. Thus, if unconditional contracts of sale are exchanged on the 31st of March, 2018 and the sale of the property completes on the 1st of May, 2018, the relevant SA return is for the tax year ended the 5th of April, 2018, not 2019. All disposals have to be reported to HMRC on a NRCGT return, whether or not there is a tax liability. The late lodgment of a NRCGT return can be expected to trigger a late filing penalty. We invite all who have sold – or are planning to sell – a residential property in the UK to contact Collett and Co Tax to discuss how we might help, including preparing capital gains tax computations under the tax rules of the UK and Australia to identify whether there is any capital gains tax payable in either or both countries. Any CGT payable in the UK should be creditable against the CGT payable in Australia on the same disposal. If you would like to discuss your situation and plans with a tax consultant who is familiar with tax in the UK and in Australia complete our enquiry form. We will be pleased to have a free initial discussion to explore your situation, and to explain how we might help.
  3. Hello to you all, If a UK property is sold and the money is transferred to an Oz account, is the amount liable for any tax? Just wondered how it all works. Thanks in advance.
  4. Hi there, I have a bunch of shares in the UK which I may sell next year. I'm emigrating to Australia next month. What capital gains tax would I have to pay in Australia? Thanks for any help!
  5. http://www.gmtax.com.au/2014/03/uk-budget-2014-issues-of-importance-to-non-uk-residents/ Nothing yet locked in, but the UK seems to be heading in the same general direction as Australia in the way it taxes non residents. See also Andrew Williams' posting on UK pension changes, which again are moving towards the Australian model in terms of accessing the fund at retirement age. Best regards.
  6. Tarby777

    CGT on UK property

    Hi all, Does anyone have the fine detail on CGT (to HMRC or the ATO) when, as a British citizen in Australia as a permanent resident, you sell a UK property that you have received rental income from? The way I understood it was that as long as you kept the proceeds from the sale of the house in a UK account for two years, there was no CGT to worry about. However, some HMRC notes for my tax return allude to possible CGT on the sale of UK properties that you have received rental income from. I haven't sold the house yet but am certainly thinking about it. It was our family home for 10 years till we emigrated 2 years ago... does anyone know the formula / rules as they apply to me? TIA Tarby