Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'asperger's'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 2 results

  1. Hi again, As part of arranging our move back to the UK, it will be really important for me to be able to ensure that my secondary school aged son is able to have a reasonable school experience despite being on the high functioning end of the Autism Spectrum (ie. Asperger syndrome type issues, but otherwise pretty bright). He has really struggled with primary schooling over here in Australia. The school systems in Oz are often so unresponsive to the needs of these children that home schooling is often suggested/forced on them. This really isn't an option for us as I'm a single Mum and the sole family breadwinner. Furthermore he's a sociable lad (it's myth that just because they're often excluded these kids are interested in socialising). He currently is going to a very good school for his needs in Brisbane - it's one in the Catholic system (though we're not Catholic). Please don't advise me to stay on in Australia until he's finished high school here. That won't work for a bunch of reasons to lengthy to go into here. As mentioned previously, we're looking at moving to the southern part of the Greater London area. House not yet selected/purchased. Locations restricted by amount I can afford to pay. Does anyone out there know what I need to do to make sure that local school provides appropriate support. On the whole I've been advised by Brits over here that the disability services system is of a higher standard than Australia, but I'm not clear about how this translates across to support for kids with non-visible, yet diagnosed, disabilities in mainstream education in the UK. As mentioned, his IQ is quite high so he doesn't need to go to a segregated special school. I'm wondering if there's some paperwork I can start to organise at this end, advocacy organisations or support groups I can join that would be helpful, or whether there's a specific government or non-government agency that can help. Info I've found by trawling the web so far seems a bit general. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you. :biggrin:
  2. Hi there, I'd like to study for a PhD or MBA in Australia but my son has Asperger's Syndrome and I'm not sure whether this could make it difficult for me to get a Student Visa. I'm a UK national, as is my son, who is 16. He has a statement of special educational needs and the local authority have paid fully for him to attend a £26,000 per year mainstream private school because his Educational Psychology Reports show his to be academically and intelligence-wise advanced ahead of his age. They did not pay anything towards any learning support for him and the school he currently attends has no learning support person or learning support department. I don't know what paperwork I would need to put in my Student Visa Application regarding him (-or does he apply for his own Visa?). I have his Statement of Special Educational Needs, his Educational Psychology Reports and his Diagnosis. However I have no letter from a consultant other than these as he hasn't had any help from any consultants over the years. We are currently out of Britain due to a family emergency and may not be able to return for a couple of months. However I'd rather not delay submitting a Student Visa Application as time is moving on. Would we need an additional letter from a consultant or anything like that? And if so can we get one while we are abroad or does it have to be written by someone who knows our son? Getting letters from his schools shouldn't be a problem. Please advise me as I know nothing about this . Thanks Xx