Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags '457 visa process'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Visitor Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 4 results

  1. Kevin McAuley

    The 101 on the 457 visa - How I did it

    If you’re thinking of moving to the land of Oz, and you fancy yourself to be a bit of a skilled worker, the 457 visa may be your way to do it. What it is The 457 visa, is technically a subclass of something called the Temporary Skilled Work Standard Business Sponsorship. The Australian Government has been working over the past few years to reduce the processing times for 457 applications, which is great news for people like you and me! What it entitles you to – The 457 allows you to stay in Australia for a period of 4 years. After these 4 years are up, your employer can either renew your 457, or you can apply for Australian Permanent Residency after 2 years (I’ll be sure to come back give you a rundown of this process if I eventually end up doing this myself) Conditions of the visa – There are a few conditions of the visa which you need to meet to continue being eligible. · You must work full time (i.e. at least 35 hours a week) for the whole duration of your stay. If you stop working for that employer for whatever reason, you’ve got 28 days to find a new employer to sponsor you, or unfortunately, you’ll have to leave Oz. · You can only work for one employer at a time. So no part time jobs or freelancing. Is it the right visa for you? The 457 may be right for you if: · You have a skill you think would be useful to an employer in Australia (whether it be a technical, professional or manual skill) · You want to move to Australia temporarily, with the intention to move permanently. How much will it cost? $350 at the time of your application. Depending on your employer, they may pay this fee for you, but be prepared to pay it if you have to. Steps: 1. Before you go – Start scoping out the job market in Australia BEFORE you leave, and think about what type of industry you’d like to work in. It doesn’t hurt to test the waters and start emailing a few companies to see if they’ve got any jobs available. 2. Working Holiday Visa – My suggestion would be to apply for a Working Holiday visa, which is easy to do online. Some of people use this as a kind of “foot in the door” way to actually get to Australia, and allows them to find a job while they’re actually there, at it’s often easier if you can meet with employers face to face, rather than over the phone or email. Almost goes without saying, but make sure you’ll be financially able to support yourself during your job search! 3. Make it clear to your company that you’re after the 457 sponsorship – I made it clear from day one that my goal was to get the 457 sponsorship through the company. So be upfront and let them know you’ll be willing to work hard for it. 4. Apply through your company – If all goes well and your company is happy to sponsor you, they’ll first have to apply to be a sponsor (if they haven’t already). I was lucky in that my company had already sponsored quite a few people before, but check that your employer is willing to do so (it’s a $425 fee they’ll have to pay, plus $85 to nominate you specifically). 5. Gather your documents – If your employer has sponsored a few people before, like my employer had, there should be someone within the company who’s experienced in the process and should be able to help you out by starting the application online for you. Then you’ll just have to go in and fill in your parts of the form. You’ll need to upload authorized copies of things like your passport, birth certificate (most post offices can authorise copies for you). 6. Apply – lodge the application online. Theoretically it takes 22 days for processing, but like I said, this should be much shorter now due to changes in the Australian Government budget. Things to keep in mind: · As I’ve said in a previous post, be prepared to work your butt of in the job you find – your employer must see you as a valuable employee. · Consider travelleing a bit first if you can, this is something I didn’t do and regret to a certain degree. · You could do regional work to get a 2nd working holiday visa which could then give you over 18 months to find that sponsor. That’s it! I know this all seems kind of complicated at first, and as with any applications through the government, it can be! But I hope this has at least given you a bit of an introduction and summary As always, feel free to PM me with any questions you have – happy to share my advice =)If you’re thinking of moving to the land of Oz, and you fancy yourself to be a bit of a skilled worker, the 457 visa may be your way to do it.
  2. Anyone who undergone a Chef/Cook technical interview for TRA skills assessment 457/General Migration visa? How it's done and what are the common questions?:eek:
  3. Just wondering if any one out there can advise me on a pressing issue. I am being sponsored as a nurse in Melbourne and have submitted my 457 documents just waiting for approval. To cut a long story short, my ex husband kicked up a big fuss about taking the kids aged 9 & 11. I reluctantly agreed for him to have them while I decided to emmigrate (I knew he was doing it just to spite me and knew he will relent in the end even though I told him he was more than welcome to join us in Australia) He has now said he has a job opportunity in Hong Kong and would not be able to cope in a foreign country with the girls-typical! Anyway he has now agreed for me to take the kids and will visit us as much as he can as it wont be as far as living in the UK. I have updated my IMAM meidcal insurance and will be doing their medicals on Monday 13th Feb. I'm just worried whether it will all be finalised before my AHPRA expires. I know it is valid for a year but I spent most of this dealing with trying to get my ex to allow the kids to travel with me. I know it's a long shot but is there anyway I can ask for an extension period?! I am desperately hoping it will all go through before then but just incase????
  4. pinkpolkadot08

    Employer payments for sponsorship

    Hey, Just wondering if an Employer has to pay a fee to register their business for sponsoring people? I tried to find some info on imm gov Australia but its pretty confusing stuff. My Husband has a meeting with his potential sponsor (457 visa) at the end of this week so we want to have all the facts. Do they just pay the relative charges each time? Eg: Visa app:$350 Nomination charge:$80 Sponsorship charge:$405 Is there any extra charge for dependants included in the application? Thanks, Niamh