Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Search the Community

Showing results for tags '12mth'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 3 results

  1. Hello everyone, I was just wondering if someone might be able to help me here as I've read all over the official immigration website and can't seem to find anything that gives a definite Yes or No answer to this. Basically I am an Australian citizen and I have a girlfriend who lives overseas. We're now tired of the long distance relationship and only visiting each other every few months so she would like to move to Australia to live permanently with me. So what we would like to do is get her a De Facto partner visa so she can come live with me. However there is an unfortunate 12 month living together requirement for this which we are unable to meet. I am studying full-time in Australia and I'm unable to do these studies where she is so me going to live with her for 12 months there is not an option. The only thing we can do then is have her come live with me for 12 months so we can apply for the De Facto partner visa. Sounds simple in theory but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an Australian visa designed for this purpose. She is not eligible for any working visa so that is not an option. Basically that only leaves her 2 options... either to get a 12 month Tourist visa or a 12 month Student visa (and study something here). Both of these can apparently come with the "No Further Stay" clause which means she will need to leave Australia after the 12 months. So I guess my question is... if we get her a 12 month Tourist or Student visa... can she come live with me for the 12 months, then return overseas to her home country and immediately apply for a De Facto partner visa then (using the 12 months she lived with me on a Tourist or Student visa to meet the living together requirement)??? Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to shed any light on this. Tried ringing DIAC about this and just get told tourist visas aren't designed to be used for a permanent residency visa but I can't get any Yes or No out of them as to whether or not we can use this as a workaround since there's no other visa we can use to get her over here.
  2. Can anyone help on this matter?? I bought a new car 6mths ago. We are first registered owners but personal import rules say you should have owned the car for at least 12mth. If the car is brand new how could you have owned the car for 12mths or more and is it possible that the import rule doesn't apply. we are all coming over to Melbourne in approx 10wks time on a 457 visa. Does anyone know, can anyone help with some advice?
  3. hi guys can anyone help on this one my inlaws are in oz and haven been there on a 12 mth visitors visor and are due to come back this month what i would like to know is can they apply for another 12mth visa for nov this year or is there a waiting time they will have to wait cheers jez