Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'tax'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 659 results

  1. Hey All, I will be migrating to Australia arriving the 25th of October with my partner. We have the slightly unusual situation whereby I have an Australian passport + Citizenship (on account of living there aged 1-5) but have not been over since. My partner will be entering on a working holiday visa while her partner visa is getting processed, We expect it to come through at the end of December (at which point she will have too briefly leave the country (Likely NZ)) We have just applied for a joint account with commonwealth bank and plan on transferring money over to that. Can anyone advise on other things we should apply for before arrival? I'm thinking the equivalent to National Insurance numbers? Tax codes? Electoral Registers? Is there any other difference that come to mind for me as an Australian citizen versus my partner as a UK migrant? Boab88
  2. Does anyone know the limit of stirling you can take into Oz before attacting tax there. Many thanks.
  3. Guest

    TAX / Salary

    Hi lm moving to Brisbane in October, trying to work out from my salary how much tax l will pay and what l will take hime and what l can afford rental wise on a property etc. Anyone shed some light ?
  4. fattony

    Perth 457 tax advice

    Hi All , been in Perth for a month now Enjoying the lifestyle with my wife and 15 yr old son but have a few questions related to Tax has anyone used/recommend a Tax accountant locally in Perth and are there any benefits ..I work from home (I.T) some days, and also travel around WA just wondering what I may be able to claim for bills furniture living allowances etc ..if anyone has advice ..feel free Thanks FT
  5. hey guys!!!! Can anybody help?? I am traveling to oz on a 1 year working visa in jan 2012 but hoping to gain sponsorship when i get out there and hopefully stay. Ive heard people talking about claiming tax back. Am i eligable to claim tax back and if so how do i go about it??? Thanks everyone :-):wub: any advice is appreciated x
  6. Am absolutely floored to learn that the road tax / rego for the $900 bomb we bought on arrival in Oz is $805 for the next 12 months. Eek! :jiggy:
  7. Hi All, Just trying to work out some budget figures for what we can spend per month on things like car's, rent etc and I'm still not sure how much tax I will be paying which will obviously have a big impact on my calculations. I will be on a 457 visa and the various rates I have heard quoted on various different web sites and blogs start at 12% and goes up to 49%!!! Can anybody help to put me right on this. Cheers Stu
  8. Cal2

    Paying tax on MA fees

    I'm in the UK with a MA in Oz, should I be paying tax on his bill, quite happy to, but I just wondered thanks Cal
  9. Hi I hope someone can help me on this --- some years ago I inherited a house in qld which i rent out. As I am not in oz i assumed that i did not have to pay income tax on the rental income however on my UK yearly tax return I have been declaring the income and paying the tax as income earned overseas. In the last few days I have found out that I should have been declearing the income to the oz tax authorities and then on my uk tax form declaring the oz tax and then deducting it as a expense. The amounts are not really high as the house is not the best and the rental is low but this goes back some 10 years and so the compounded amounts will mount up. As I have paid the tax in the UK on the rental will the australian tax auth come after me for the full amount or will they deduct the UK tax I have already paid? I know there is a reciprocal tax agreement but I think it is only for the last few years. I have not informed the Tax authorities in Oz yet as I need to get some advice before I start to open the can of worms. Anyone have experiance of this? Thanks Pete
  10. Guest

    Tax rebate from uk

    Hey there, hope you are hearing some news from the Tax office by now! I left the UK on the 1st August 2011 meaning i had only worked 4 months of the 2011/2012 tax year, however i have paid a huge amount of tax in that four months, does anyone know if I would get it all back ? Very confused......:confused:
  11. brucewayne

    Tax Returns

    Just filling out my tax return for the first time. Do I have to declare income from my home in the UK which I'm renting out? What about interest/savings/ISAs etc that are still in the UK? I have filed my NRL forms in the UK and I know that there will be a certain tax liability in the UK for my UK money, but if that is the case do I have to declare it here in Australia on my tax return? Are there any do's or do not's that I need to know about. I'm putting in a mobile phone claim as my company out here don't supply one with the job, but is it just the cost of the phone or can I claim the top up vouchers (it's a pre-paid phone for the moment!). just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me and filling this all out for the first time?
  12. albag

    Tax Help

    Hi there My husband has just been offered a job in NSW and they have asked him to start asap. We are now planning to move out there at the beginning of December which obviously means its all systems go! My question is a quick one - we have a house in the UK which we are renting out which we will continue to do for at least 1 or two years. Can anyone tell me how we stand regarding capital gains and income tax when we move? We are getting confused by conflicting information! Many thanks!
  13. Guest

    457 & tax payments????

    Hi, Can anyone help please....? My husband is about to receive his first wage packet by the UK company sponsoring him on a temporary 457 visa. He is being paid in UK Sterling pounds into his UK bank account and paying UK tax where and when applicable. Does anyone know how he avoids paying tax again in Australia? Really confused:wacko: HELP PLEASE??? LOL!
  14. Dorsetgirl1

    Tax on Uk rented property

    We have a property that is rented out in the UK - do we still have a tax free allowance in the UK if we are on a 457 visa? I will be working in Australia. Anyone have experience of what to do? Thanks
  15. Popsicle

    Savings and tax return?

    How much savings can you have before you need to declare it on a tax return? is there a threshold? Also, do offshore savings have to be declared? again is there a threshold? Thanks in advance
  16. Hi, I am going to Australia with a working holiday visa. Can anyone tell me what ID / references I may need to get a Tax File Number? Is just a passport ok or do I need employer references etc? Thank you
  17. Hi PIOers I've been self employed since April 6th 2011, and am moving to Aus in a couple of weeks time. I have completed and been paid for all my self emp work for this year, and wanted to settle up with the tax office before I go but I just rung them and the girl I spoke to said I had to wait until next tax year before I could file this years return. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or if there is a special form I can complete so I can wrap up my accounts here? Thanks StS
  18. My work colleagues pay between $100 - 175 for their oz tax return to be prepared. Do you need to see a specialist [ i think the term is cross border!] when you have financial interests in Uk and OZ. Anyone know a good Melbourne accountant
  19. After driving around mainland Europe for 2 weeks and seeing the efforts our neighbors on the continent have made with Solar water heating, Photo-voltaic panels and wind power I have realised how pathetic the UK's attempts have been, purely lip service:cry:. So it is great to see that Australia's controversial Carbon Tax seems to have already begun to pay dividends. (Maybe the UK can learn from OZ) Australia Gets Ten Times Bigger Solar farm Following Carbon Tax In its first solar investment in Australia, GE Energy and Financial Services has partnered with US thin-film producer First Solar and local state-owned energy firm Verve Energy to build a solar farm ten times larger than any yet built in the country. It will supply electricity for a desalination plant in Western Australia, which has a mandate to use renewable power for all new desalination projects. Australia – resource-cursed by plentiful coal – has seen a sharp uptick in international interest from renewable energy firms following this summer’s passage of carbon legislation by the Gillard government, which now puts a price ($23 per tonne) on CO2 emissions. State legislation helps too. Now, all new desalination plants in Western Australia must use power generated from renewable sources. The Southern Seawater Desalination Plant has contracted to buy 100% of the power from the Greenough River Solar Farm, which will produce energy when it is most needed during the day, and eliminating 25,000 tonnes per year of greenhouse gas emissions. Source: Clean Technicahttp://cleantechnica.com/2011/09/01/australia-gets-ten-times-bigger-solar-farm-following-carbon-tax/
  20. For those of you who have migrated with kids, when did you notify the tax credit office and child benefit. Was there any issues with regards to finalizing tax credits before year end? Any advice appreciated :chatterbox:
  21. Guest

    reclaiming UK Income Tax

    Hi there, I am due to move to Sydney in just under 4 weeks. I am due to finish at my current job in the UK in 2 weeks where I will receive my P45 which I can submit with another form P80!?! to get my tax refund. Does anyone know how long this takes? From discussions its seems like they can pay this into your account within 4 weeks (provided they have all the details). Thanks
  22. Hi to all of you that are on your way here. This is just a little useful note for you to know, everyone in Australia is required to lodge a tax return by law. So if you work for a company and you are on a salary they will issue you at the end of the year a Group Certificate of which you handover to your accountant who in turn looks at all your receipts that you will have saved , and then will forward it onto the Tax Man. So please make sure from the moment you arrive in Australia you save ALL your receipts, you will be pleasantly surprised at the Tax rebate you get back. This will also help you when you claim for family assistance and rent assistance. We have been here now for just over two and a half years , and trust me it is good to get a Rebate at the end of the year. To all those that go Self-Employed make sure that you put your tax money aside for the end of year aswell. Regards Mark (marknhelen) :wink::yes:
  23. Cal2

    Paying tax on MA fees

    Hi, we're in the UK and paying a migration agent in NSW, we pay via our bank account in Australia, hoping to emigrate later this year. Can we claim our tax on the MA's bill back from anywhere, we pay our tax in the UK at present thanks Cal
  24. Hi We have returned to UK but realised we did not complete our tax returns. Can anyone give us some advice on how we can do them while being in the UK. We dont want to be in trouble in Australia.:no::no: Thanks