Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'drivers'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 58 results

  1. hi all, Can anyone help with these quetions from my husband please. I have an old (non photo) UK drivers licence with my (soon to be) old UK address on. I need to tell DVLA of my new address in Oz however I need to have my UK one so I can get my new Oz licence within 12 weeks of arriving in country. What’s the best solution? Send the UK one back to UK in 12 weeks time after I get my Oz one? Do they issue UK drivers licences with Oz addresses on? Thanks, Veronika :chatterbox:
  2. Guest

    Any Pajero Drivers?

    I've been trawling through the car ads recently trying to work out what the best buy would be, second hand, before we arrive in September. After a lot of searching the mitsubishi Pajero seems like a really solid buy. They appear to be bullet proof and you can pick up a 97/98 (long wheel base) for about $7/8 k. Does anyone have any idea of runnning cost of one of these, as they have pretty hefty engines (3, 3.5 litre). Cheers for any info
  3. Hi folks, just a quick question on behalf of a friend, too tired to look on the DIAC website, so here goes, are HGV dirvers wanted anywhere in oz???? If not, did they use to be at one point but maybe knocked of the list, due to the recession??? Thanks Mandisfam
  4. Guest

    lovely people...bad drivers !

    hi all well we have been here 8 weeks now and i must say we love it the relaxed people and the weather & beaches make it all worth while oh and also been on the news that oz will probaly not have a bad recession after all . but i would just like to say one thing that is bad when people get in there cars they must leave the brains outside they are so ignorant and just love there horns it drives you mad.
  5. Hi All Still on cloud nine as you can see from gettin the visas, but i,m looking for some advice on obtaining an ozzy license. A few months ago my OH was given a years driving ban. Can anyone tell me if this will carry on in OZ or will he be able to get a license when we arrive there. I have tried to e-mail the NSW Road & Traffic Authority but that was over a week ago and still no reply. We also contacted the DVLA and they weren,t sure but said they would give us a letter stating that he,s a driver. Don,t even know if that would help. I,m hoping for good news cos if he can,t get a license we won,t be able to move till after the ban ends. Many Thanks Siobhan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  6. hi could someone tell me how long is it before u have to change ur UK license over to an Oz one we have been here since September 08 on PR> Cheers Lynne :spinny:
  7. anyone know and the best way to go about getting this done?
  8. Guest

    Drivers Licence QLD

    I have just recieved an e-mail from QLD transport confirming the straight swap(there is a fee, see below) of UK car and motorbike licence as long as not disqualified and as long as it hasn't expired longer than 5yrs ago. No other vehicle licence is transferred. Also in QLD you pay for your licence annually or in blocks of yrs unlike here where it a one off payment. A fee of $27.65(1 year), $38.50 (2 year), $49.35 (3 year), $60.20 (4 year) and $71.05 (5 year). You can purchase a drivers licence for any period from 1 to 5 years Anyone looking at using Heavy Goods licence will have to sit prac and theory (10 questions) again. FYI- Crash gearboxes over there. BUT the good bit.....any convictions incl DR10 (drink driving) will not be on your new FRESH driving licence. Clean slate so to speak. Hope this helps someone.
  9. Hi Drivers I am very concerned about a report I have received from one of our members. It seems that there currently is, or there has been sometime in 2007/8, a rumour going around about possible visas for truck drivers. The version which I have heard of the rumour has it that the Australian Government is supposedly backing a scheme which would supposedly enable DIAC to grant 457 visas to British HGV drivers provided that the driver holds an Australian HR licence before he applies for a visa. Please all note: This rumour is complete rubbish. There is not a grain of truth in it. Therefore please, please do NOT be tempted to spend your hard earned on rushing out to Oz to obtain an Aussie HR licence. The Aussie HR licence will NOT get you a visa. If you get a visa by using some other visa pathway, the licence might come in handy once you are living in Oz but it will do NOTHING towards getting you the visa in the first place. The truth of this matter is that following a high-level Government-led Inquiry in 2007 & 2008, the Minister altered the legislation concerning the 457 visa on 1st August 2008. The legislative instrument is here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/occupations.pdf Page 14 is relevant. It states categorically that 457 visas for truckers will only be possible if the foreign driver & truck will be engaged in: mining operations in regional Australia; construction operations in regional Australia; transporting dangerous cargos such as hydrocarbons and chemicals. It is not necessary for the driver to have an Aussie HR licence prior to the grant of the visa. The rules for the visa say that it is sufficient if the driver obtains the necessary licence(s) within one month of his/her arrival in Oz, having travelled to Oz on his her 457 visa once that has been granted. The August 2008 legislation came about as a result of The Transport Industry Working Group's advice to the Minister, which was published on the DIAC website in July 2008. The link to the Report is here: DIAC Newsroom – Media_releases – Changes to 457 visa eligibility for truck drivers The Report itself is refusing to download. The DIAC website is telling me "Page Not Found" so something must be wrong with the IT arrangements in the new website. However the Report led to the legislative instrument described above. I read the report when it was first published, though. One of the key recommendations made by the Working Group is that if the Transport industry considers that migrant drivers are essential, the Industry ought to be prepared to enter into Labour Agreements with the Government. If any such Labour Agreements are ever negotiated (nobody knows whether they will be) then it would be possible for large, well-run employers to be able to sponsor other types of HR driver for 457 visas and for the drivers to do other types of driving besides the three mentioned above. However no such Labour Agreements exist at the moment. Unless and until they do, it is pointless to rely on nothing but an assumption or wish that it might happen. If anyone negotiates such a Labour Agreement successfully, one thing it definitely will not do is to give British drivers any sort of exclusivity or special priority over drivers from any other country. The Aussie Government's Immigration Policy is STRICTLY non-discriminatory. If the Transport Workers Union of Australia - which I understand is powerful - gets its own way, the Labour Agreements will never happen in any case. The Union's submission to the Working Group is here: http://www.twu.com.au/twu_457_submission.pdf So please do be careful about this and please do NOT spend any money on reliance on this rumour if you should hear it. One wonders whether the people selling the courses that lead to the tests and HR licences have a vested interest in promoting such a daft rumour, frankly! I have feelers out everywhere in an effort to help truckers. If any good news should happen, I will definitely hear about it quickly and as soon as I have any more definite information, I will put a thread or post about it on Poms In Oz. Best wishes Gill
  10. Hi All How adventurous are you guys prepared to be about where in Oz you might live and work for about 5 years, please? If you are willing to consider the Outback then there may be a visa solution for you. First of all, please find your own exact occupation in the ASCO Code, which is here: http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/Lookup/A86A0162E6F672DFCA256ADB001D10D4/$File/asco.pdf The document works strangely. The alphabetical list of occupations is at the back. Gravedigger & Garbologist are both in there, so all of you are in there too. Find the occupation and it tells you which page to go to. Hit Adobe Pages. Then click on the page. It will put you into the Code about 7 or 8 pages before the page that you need, so once you are in the Code itself use the page numbering at the foot of each page of the Code to get to the right page. Some occupations are shown as the alternative job-title for something else. Examples: Crane Driver, Hoist or Lift Operator: Page 484 Excavator Operator: Page 479 Forklift Driver: Page 480 Scaffolder: Page 515 These are all Group 7 occupations. Being female I have no idea what most of the machinery or tasks even are, so you need to do your own hunting around, please. And be honest with yourselves, too. Your occupation is either within ASCO Major Groups 5-7 or it isn't. If a realistic description of what you do is in ASCO Major Groups 8 & 9 then even the most willing Aussie employer would not be able to sponsor you for a visa. The visa strategy works as follows: Because your occupations are not on the SOL and are regarded as being semi-skilled only (ASCO Groups 5-7) the only realistic way for you to obtain visas for Oz is via the Regional Employer Concessions in the 457 and RSMS (subclass 119/857) visa schemes. Because you cannot undertake formal skills assessments for migration purposes, you have to be prepared to be on the subclass 457 visa for a minimum of 2 years and then you have to hope that your employer will agree to reward you by sponsoring you for the RSMS 857 visa next. Under the terms of the RSMS visa you are obliged to work for the sponsoring employer, in the nominated occupation, in the regional area, for a further two years once the RSMS visa is granted. RSMS visas take a bit of time to process and set up, plus you will not start work on the 457 visa the day after you arrive in Australia. Realistically you are looking at committing a minimum of 5 years to living and working in Regional Australia but if you knuckle down and do that, Australia will give you your freedom as it were as soon as you have complied with your obligations under the RSMS visa. Thereafter you will be able to move to the middle of Sydney if you wish, and do whatever you like when you get there including selling ice cream on the beach or simply loafing on the beach if you prefer. What is happening on the ground out in Oz is that there is mining & construction happening in the remote parts of WA, the Northern Territory, North QLD, possibly the North of SA and I am not sure about NSW and VIC. These remote areas are very sparsely-populated. People with the right to live and work anywhere they like in Australia generally won't go to these places because they are too far from home. The lifestyle is tough because the climate is harsh and it is unrealistic to expect mod cons such as you would find in downtown Perth. Also, the local populations in each township are small and a relatively high proportion of the local population may be Aboriginals because these are their lands, much of it is sacred land and their rights to it must be respected. Some of the others are refugees and asylum seekers. Plus the pay is potentially lousy. The minimum pay on the Regional 457 is $39,100 and there is no right to any hand-outs from Centrelink so no Child Benefit or Working Tax Credit type arrangements are possible. Employers are finding it difficult to extract the minerals and/or build the townships because the workers needed for both will not go to the places concerned. The Regional State Migration authorities understand the problems faced by the employers in this regard. The other thing is that the 457 visa requires the would-be migrant to have good English because the States requirement for that tends to be higher than the one DIAC requires for it. So although there is no shortage of would-be migrant workers from all over the world who are prepared to go to the Outback and get on with it no matter what the pay etc, many of them fall over when they sit the mandatory IELTS because their English is simply not strong enough to meet the State's requirements for it. Native English speakers are automatically deemed to have Competent English, which is high enough to meet the State's own requirements and so are exempt from the IELTS. However, the British also have unrealistic ideas about Oz in many cases. Although it is theoretically possible for an employer based in Mandurah (45 minutes from Perth) to claim that he cannot find a suitably qualified and experienced forklift driver from within the local workforce, the proposal to hire and sponsor a migrant instead has to be approved by the State Migration Centre. Who will not agree to the proposition that this could not find his forklift driver locally if he ups the ante on the pay that he wants to offer. The State authorities will NOT permit the 457 visa to be used as a means of keeping pay down. That said, the State people understand only too well that in some of the remote Outback areas the employers can't even get would-be migrants for the jobs because the native English speaking migrants won't put up with the places concerned. So they are very aware that it is a Catch 22 all round. Please see this document: http://www.det.nt.gov.au/employment/workforce_nt/docs/nt_occupation_shortage_list.pdf Page 2 describes "other shortages". Including mobile and stationary plant operators in Groups 7111 and 7112. Group 7913 potentially includes Scaffolder, Structural Steel Erectors and Construction Riggers as well as the Steel Fixer whose Code is 7913-13. The List is not set in tablets of stone and when I spoke with a lady in the NT the other night, she told me that they have compiled a new list which is longer than the current one. They are waiting for their IT Department to find the time to swap it for the existing list on the website. Continued/……
  11. I was just thinking that perhaps when i move out to aussie to help with the bills initially i'll be a cabbie in melbourne. Are there any other fellow uk cabbies that currently drive in aussie? If there are i'd love to hear back from you!! From what i have seen they seem to have a similar system to ours, yellow cabs that can be flagged down and silver taxis that i think need to be booked and i think green top that can only work from 3pm-7am! On another note with regards to changing over uk licence to vic licence, once they give you your licence does it have the original date that you passed your licence in uk or does it state the day you changed over your licence as the date your licence is valid?? eg i've held my licence for 8yrs now in uk so will my aussie licence also show i've held my licence for 8yrs?
  12. Hi Guys:jiggy: Please could you tell me what it is like to drive on Australian roads. I have only ever driven in the UK and we move to Perth on a 457 visa at the end of December. Any advice or help greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my thread!!
  13. Hi all, My hubby (Brett 25), son (4 mths) and I (Gem 26) are looking to move to Brisbane. Brett is a carpet fitter and I have a degree in Graphic Design. We have been advised that we could apply for the 457 route through Brett - all sounds great - but… my parents (dad 50 and mum 52) and young brother (12) are also considering the move. Only problem is that dad only has his Class 1 HGV license. We've been told that he could probably get a job working for the mining industry and any other kind of driving job is pretty much a no go area if a sponsor is needed. I'm looking for any HGV truckers out there who have successfully made it to Oz through this 457 route please and if anyone has any advise we'd be soooooooo grateful! We'd love to know the area that we would be needing to move (ie North or South?) and any companies that we could get in touch with please? Actually, any advise would be nice! We look forward to hearing from anyone soon to help untangle the knots of confusion in myy head!! :wacko:
  14. Good moring guys As you mostly know we are going to Oz on my skills as a hairdresser, my hubby is a print finishe (doesnt involve binding though) but he also has a FLT counter balance and reach license which has been part of his job for the past 5 years or so, so he has plenty of experience in it. Im just wondering if we could use his work experience towards ur points rather than me having to do the IELTS test, does anyone know if its on any of the skills lists, I want him to feel like he is contributing something to us going over there. I know there are FLT jobs paying around a tenner an hour (£ not $) so not too worried about him getting a job there,
  15. Guest

    Train Drivers in Queensland

    Hi Can anyone give me some information on how a UK Train Driver in Cambridgeshire can apply for a similar job in Queensland. I am making this enquiry for my neighbour who dearly wants to emigrate. Are there are any age limits for him and is there any companies he needs to contact for sponsorship? Any help would be much appreciated Thanks Caz
  16. Guest

    Train Drivers

    Hi. Im a train driver in the UK and am trying to get work in Australia. Any train drivers out there with any pointers? (Visa applied for class 175 through my wifes occupation)
  17. Guest

    HGV Drivers

    Hiya Just been reading a thread on HGV Drives in Oz/NZ, and it states that its nigh impossible to get a HGV job, as no big companies will give you a job or sponsor you to come over on the visa needed? Is this absolutely true?:unsure: As OH is a HGV driver and is under the impression that there is loads of work to be had. If its not then its all down to my nursing to get us in Ta for any advice Jules
  18. Guest

    Drivers Licence - DVLA

    For all those in OZ...... When you left the UK did you inform the DVLA or did you wait until you arrived and had an address to give them? Fanks :notworthy:
  19. So a while back he signed the consent form for me to take the kids he never sees never pays a penny for, hasnt got pr for but ive just realised he didnt include a cert copy of his drivers liscence. I had to ring him and ask for it. Since it took months for him to do the form I am stressing he will be the same over this. The application is all ready to go now as soon as Hubbys passport is re-evidenced which should take less then 2 weeks. I am really hating having to wait on other people. I have also had to send him the 5 quid to get the cert copy done. Anyone got a rocket I can borrow? On the plus side some of hubbys Aussie mates are in England and came round last night and are lovely so at least when I get out there I will now know someone.
  20. Guest

    Drivers license

    Hi I'm planning on moving to Perth by the end of the year (as long as I'm grnated my visa of course!) Does anyone know how the drivers license thing works? I have a british license but not an international one and as I live in the UAE at the moment and have no immediate plans to go to the UK i don't know how easy it is to get one!!! I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks
  21. Hi Drivers This thread (or this post, anyway) is solely to bring you up to date with the delving I have been doing to try to find out why there is a visa problem for you. Giacci Bros are a major haulier in WA by the looks of things, though they do not seem to have a website. This is what they told somebody on British Expats a year ago: HGV sponsorship.......not likely now!! : British Expat Discussion Forum That said, though, please see this thread in which Booth Transport are the employer and they plainly did sponsor someone for a 457 visa in 2006/7: 457 how long to perm residency : British Expat Discussion Forum Jamie Smith of Hire A Migrant was kind enough to tell me that Linfox are one of the largest road transport companies in Australia, though my searches on them have not produced anything except their website: Linfox Jamie has said that if enough HGV drivers are willing to club together to pay Hire A Migrant's costs for investigating just what is going on. he estimates that the costs per person would be negligible. I would imagine that Jamie would start by contacting the various Regional Certifying Bodies in Oz, plus the DIAC State Offices, to find out what they can tell him about why there is a problem. The major transport companies might know as well and if not, their views (for or against the idea of sponsoring foreign drivers) might provide some valuable insights. Jamie reckons it would be about 3 days work. He could NOT get the answers in 3 days! He means it would be about 3 full days worth of work in total, or around 24 actual hours of work. Mmmmmm. I'd go higher than that and probably treble it myself. I just have a feeling that the whole of this story has yet to be sussed out and told. The strands that I've heard from various sources simply do not hang together in a logical sequence so far. If Jamie can get the right sort of dialogue going with senior DIAC people at State level he can probably also track down the bod at DIAC Central Office in Canberra who is in charge of this particular piece of Policy and find out from him/her why it is that HGV driving has been removed from the SOL and why it is plainly the case that different people have been having different experiences with the supposed embargo. Please respond to this thread if you are interested in pursuing this sort of line of enquiry. My own inclination is to leave it to Jamie to talk with the companies, in particular, and also he is likely to get further with DIAC if he is asking on behalf of lots of British drivers than if anyone tries to do this via individual, piecemeal enquiries. Best wishes Gill
  22. Guest

    HGV Drivers Any Sponsors ???

    hi help required plz :unsure: i am a 29 yr old hgv driver class one working for a large uk company,i have been driving class one for just over 3 years and would like any help from anyone who might know of any companies in oz that may be willing to sponsor me for my visa,i have family in regional queensland but would be willing to go to other places aswell preferably south australia, my wife is about to start a nursing diploma which last for 3 years so thought i would try to find out about different ways to get over any help or advice would be great as they are still unsure about putting HGV Drivers on skill shortage list thanks.
  23. hi help required plz :unsure: i am a 29 yr old hgv driver class one working for a large uk company,i have been driving class one for just over 3 years and would like any help from anyone who might know of any companies in oz that may be willing to sponsor me for my visa,i have family in regional queensland but would be willing to go to other places aswell preferably south australia, my wife is about to start a nursing diploma which last for 3 years so thought i would try to find out about different ways to get over any help or advice would be great as they are still unsure about putting HGV Drivers on skill shortage list thanks.
  24. hi :arghh: i am a 29 yr old hgv driver class one working for a large uk company,i have been driving class one for just over 3 years and would like any help from anyone who might know of any companies in oz that may be willing to sponsor me for my visa,i have family in regional queensland but would be willing to go to other places aswell preferably south australia, my wife is about to start a nursing diploma which last for 3 years so thought i would try to find out about different ways to get over any help or advice would be great as they are still unsure about putting HGV Drivers on skill shortage list thanks.
  25. Hello Truckers! Please do not get your hopes up at this very early stage, but I have some information which may be of interest to some of you. There is a recruitment company which is based in SA, though they have clients all over Australia, I am told. Some of their clients are haulage companies which are crying out for truck drivers. The problem for truck drivers is that you would need RSMS visas in order to obtain PR in Australia, therefore the hauliers have to be bsed in "regional Australia", I gather. The whole of SA is regional, which is good news because it also seems to be the State with the greatest shortage of truck drivers. However, lots of other parts of Oz are also "regional" and I don't imagine that many haulage compamies are actually based in non-regional areas of Oz. I gather than for RSMS visas, the Company has to nominate the occupation (I think) and this has to be approved by the relevant Regional Certifying Body. Historically the problem has been that the Trades Unions which represent truck drivers in Oz are large and powerful. They are totally opposed to adding truck driving to the skills lists because they argue that if the pay & benefits packages offered by the hauliers were better than they are, there would be no shortage of home-grown Aussies willing to drive trucks. The unions fear that if hauliers were able to attract foreign truck drivers it would simply push the pay & benefits packages downwards, putting home-grown Aussies out of work because their jobs would be snapped up by foreign drivers willing to accept virtually any lousy pay/benefits deal in order to get PR in Australia. I think the Unions are probably right. British drivers might not be willing to accept lousy packages, but the market would undoubtedly be flooded by drivers from countries where there is no welfare state,the general standard of living is low and so forth. Therefore when the recruitment company told me that their haulier clients are not scared of the Unions, I said, "Not so fast! The Unions are definitely blocking these visas in some way, so if they are not nobbling the haulage companies they must be nobbling someone else higher up in the chain that eventually leads to an RSMS visa." At this stage, I don't know whether the Regional Certifying Bodies have been refusing to approve the nominations because of pressure from the Unions or whether the Unions are able to get at DIAC instead in some way, later on in the chain. The recruitment agency has Registered Migration Agent as part of the team so I have asked him to try to find out exactly what is causing the seeming deadlock and whereabouts in the chain it is happening. If we can discover what and where the problem actually is, then there is SLIM possibility that it might be possible to resolve whatever the problem turns out to be. I do not want you to get your hopes up at this stage, because lots of people have tried to get visas for truck drivers and the majority of the attempts seem to have failed as far as I can discover. The odd few seem to have worked but they are definitely a small minority. At this stage, though, I aim trying to gauge what sort of interest-level there would be from PiO Members, and I am also interested to hear what any of you may have been told about this in the past - whether by haulage companies, Migration Agents, DIAC or anyone else? The more information I can get about this, the better. I know that Mr Broughton on here has recently obtained a truck-driving licence in Victoria. Does anybody know what happens if the truck has to go inter-State, though? Does the driver need a valid licence in each of the states that the truck will pass through, meaning multiple licences for the long-distance drivers, please? Mr Broughton explained to his wife Felicity (the Broughtons) what getting the licence entailed and she tried to explain it but I didn't understand it. Her descriptionis Post No. 6 on the thread below: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/26416-hgv-drivers.html So at this stage I am really looking for (a) interest and (b) feedback, please. Also, would people be willing to consider SA if that is where the possible jobs turn out to be based? Many thanks Gill