Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ausvisitor

  1. Ausvisitor

    Holidays Outside My Regional Area

    So you'll still be working in region (even if you are outside it visting elsewhere) as being on annual leave is still working legally... As for visting other areas I am pretty sure that is fine so long as you don't take up residence or employment It's a different matter if you go outside the country as that stops the counter for things like an RRV or Citizenship application - but staying within Oz and just being a standard tourist I would think is absolutley fine
  2. Ausvisitor

    Western Australia Teachers 491

    If you are going on a 491 you need to be aware that the process for buying property is more involved. You need "FIRB" permission to buy/build (essentially government permission) and you'll pay a punitive stamp duty (much worse than the UKs second home uplift) - although as you are building its only on the cost of the land which in the regions will be pretty cheap. You also won't qualify for first time buyer incentives (either mortgage or stamp duty discounts) This changes once you get your PR and its the same as if you were a citizen then (but you can't claim back any of the premiums you've already paid as a temp resident)
  3. Ausvisitor

    Haskew’s Law

    To be totally correct, it's good enough, it's just not the best you could get. I imagine the costs are similar so why put a middle-man in the way (as that's what Haskews would be here)
  4. Ausvisitor

    Western Australia Teachers 491

    Got to agree, Sydney and Melbourne centres are certainly more "glass everywhere" modern than Perth, with better transport and culture too. WA is lovely but it is too far from anything
  5. Ausvisitor

    Western Australia Teachers 491

    The rules for 491 are standard across the country. The max length of a 491 is 5 years, if you want to stay longer you need another visa type after the 5 years. Once you meet the residence/employment conditions on your 491 you can if you wish apply for a 191 which is permanent (little is known about this at present as no-one can apply for one untl 16th Nov 2022 - 3 years after the 491 became active as a program) FROM THE IMMI WEBSITE You must: hold an eligible visa have lived for at least 3 years and have a taxable income at or above a specific income threshold for at least three years both primary and secondary applicants have complied with the conditions of the eligible visa you hold or have held ===== So assuming you get a job at the right salary (I don't know if this is published yet) on day one of living in Oz, you can apply for a 191 exactly 3 years later (if you haven't left the country at all - time out (even for a day) stops the clock until you return) It will take some time to process the 191 - so assume 6-9 months; so you could be a PR within 4 years. You can't or work outside a regional area until you actually have the 191, so it will be longer than the qualifying 3 years before you can move
  6. It certainly doesn't seem an excessive wait, I think mine was 6 weeks after getting CO request for details but that was something trivial they wanted. Depending on how much you had to upload (and the fact you've had the Xmas go slow in the middle) I'd say it's not been long enough yet to worry
  7. Ausvisitor

    Migration Agent?

    If you can truly get the immigration backing of an employer (i.e. they will pay and do the paperwork to sponsor you) then maybe you can get a temporary visa and look to switch (through a new application) in the future when you have got the post-qual experience under your belt. If I was you I'd contact one of the agents on here and see what they have to say about your chances
  8. Ausvisitor

    Migration Agent?

    Both the 489 (closed to applicants) and the newer 491 (open to applicants) are provisional not temporary visas. There is a subtle difference. So long as you abide by the conditions of the visa (live and work in a regional area for the specified time) you can then apply to have it converted into a PR visa (which they will only deny if you are seen not to have met the conditions). A temporary visa has no such offering and at the end of the visa period if you want to stay you need to find a new visa to apply for. So long as you are happy in a regional area (which sounds worse than it is basically it means you can't go to Sydney, Melbourne or Perth) then you won't go far wrong with a 491 visa; and after 3 or 4 years it will be eligible to be switched to a Permanent Visa which once processed means you can live and work anywhere with no restriction
  9. Ausvisitor

    Migration Agent?

    The 489 is closed to applicants, it effectively doesn't exist anymore unless you have already applied for one. I'd be choosing a different agent if I was you; they should know this.... Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) (invited pathway) closes to new applications from 16 November 2019 With the introduction of the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) due to commence on 16 November 2019, the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) invited pathway will be closed to new applications on 16 November 2019.
  10. I have a different view here, the poster has done the test many times based on what they've said and nver (or maybe once) got the needed 8 in WRITING. I'd give PTE a run (after a little familiarisation with the question types online) and see how they did in that if I was them
  11. Ausvisitor

    Western Australia Teachers 491

    No idea when WA decided not to include it in their nomination lists. WA seem to be particularly stingy with sponsorship full stop at the moment regardless of career. As someone else said, once you are out in Oz you do your time in the state that nominates you and if by then it hasn't won you over you can move to your preferred location
  12. Ausvisitor

    Western Australia Teachers 491

    Secondary teacher isn't a demand occupation in WA. Almost all the other states are available to you on a 491 (and some on a 190) Primary teacher also not an option for WA. Almost any other state is available as a 491 (with less on a 190 than secondary teacher) So to put it bluntly unless you can amass a huge points haul and go for a 189, then Western Australia is not an option under any circumstances for your career.
  13. Ausvisitor

    143 / bridging visa / dependents

    One benefit though is that the fee is based on the age at application not decision. Therefore if you do get it before she is no longer a dependent you will have paid for a child assessment and not an adult one. (small silver lining).
  14. Please everyone disreagrd the above post it is nonsense... Firstly there is no such thing as 30 points for getting 90 in PTE - the maximum is 20 points no matter what you score Secondly I know many many people who have gotten over 79 (including straight 90s) with no more than an hour or so familiarising themselves with the test format. The likelihood of passing with the mark you want has less to do with the practice you put in more to do with the level of English you actually have. Please don;t waste your money on the site above, if they don't even know that the maximum is 20 points not 30 then how can you trust them with any of your money or time
  15. Ausvisitor

    143 / bridging visa / dependents

    Unless the daughter has some critical illness that makes her legally dependent on the parent then it isn't possible to be classed as a dependent after your 23rd birthday no mater what. So they could do a 3 yr degree ($130K) - takes the daughter to about 21 2 years WHV - ($negligible - but may break the dependent clause anyway) - takes the daughter to about 23 4 year Masters - ($180K) - takes the daughter to about 27 The only option here (as she still wouldn't have any work experience) would be a recent graduate work visa that (if available) would allwo her 12 months or so in OZ - durign which time she could look for a sponsor and get a temporary sponsored visa - a few years into the temp visa she would probably have the points and expereince to apply for skilled migration PR in her own right. This relies on her being happy with being temporary for 12 years (ish) and the department not changing the rules on points and her career being on the lists in that timeframe I suggest you get a second opinion on your current visa plans from a second migration agent - as I think the path you are on won't give you what you both want
  16. Ausvisitor

    143 / bridging visa / dependents

    That only kicks the can down the road... By the time she finishes the course she will be no longer classed as your dependent (most likely) so won't be able to move on your visa, she also won't have the professional experience to get a visa on her own, so after exhausting some temporary options (like working holiday etc) she will have to go back to the UK anyway most likely I wish there was a simple answer but I don't think there is...
  17. Ausvisitor

    New Zealand Citizen

    The link in newjez's reply
  18. Ausvisitor

    143 / bridging visa / dependents

    What course is she doing, as unless your visa cones through (and she is classed as a dependent) then she only gets at most two years of a working holiday visa then she needs to qualify for a visa in her own right. Most jobs on the skilled list require way more than two years working experience to qualify.
  19. Ausvisitor

    143 / bridging visa / dependents

    It's not quite pay upfront, it's pay as you go. So you pay for each semester as you take it. So you don't need to find the whole fees for the three year course on day one, but you will have to pay for it in six equal installments during those three years
  20. Ausvisitor

    Statutory declarations

    On the back of the stat declaration example it lists the people that can witness it. Be careful, this is a list of professions in Australia that can witness your statutory declaration. If the person you want to witness yours is not registered in AUS or NZ then you need to use a solicitor or a commissioner of oaths (or your equivalent of not in the UK) Good news for UK people is that all solicitors will do this and by law can only charge £5 per document witnessed (whereas commissioner of oaths is many times more)
  21. Good point - I own a house with my brother, it certainly doesn't point to us being in a defacto relationship
  22. Ausvisitor

    Superannuation - Expired PR and Tax

    I might be wrong, but I think it's possible to have a child in Australia too. I mean I know they import a lot of their residents but surely they must "make" a few of their own locally ... (Sorry, flippant comment I know)
  23. The website that @wrussell directed you to contains that information - and it will be up to date rather than just the best recollection of someone who has read it in the past
  24. Ausvisitor

    Secondary School Teacher 190/491

    Well done, you must be super happy. Competition is different for 189,190 and 491 189 is super competitive 190 is pretty competitive as it still allows you to live in big state capitals 491 is not as competitive as most people moving to Oz don;t want to live in nowheresville (I realise in some states 491 still allows you to live in decent sized places) Ultimately if you are willing to take the trade-off of being in a slightly more "out of the way" place, then you are of more use to a country that has trouble "staffing" it's regional areas than someone who only wants Sydney/Perth/Melbourne
  25. Ausvisitor

    Visa Application Questions

    Panel Physician List is here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us/offices-and-locations/list Select the UK and it gives you this list: London Sutton Coldfield Manchester Glasgow Edinburgh Plymouth Maidenhead Cardiff These are the only locations (one private provider in each of them) you can do your Oz medical in the UK Uploading Documents On your partners IMMI account you will have a set of documents for you to upload - the english test (and others) go into the other supporting documents section if I remember correctly - but we used an agent so didn;t do it ourselves