Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Molly

  • Rank
  1. My parents (aged 68/70) currently live in the UK and have been visiting Australia for 3 months at a time for the last 8 years. They are looking to move to Australia permanently and pass the balance of family test - my husband and I will be sponsors. We looked at the options and decided the Aged Parent Visa (804) would be the way to go. Now I'm not sure. I understand the Aged Parent means they have temporary residency in Australia (for the 30 years it takes to get the visa), however you're no longer a resident in the UK after 3 month living abroad. This effectively leaves them in limbo not considered resident in any country when it comes to health care. I know they will have access to Medicare under the reciprocal health agreement, but what is classed as emergency treatment? If either parent is diagnosed with a serious illness would that be treated under medicare? How much should we budget if not? UK pension will be frozen when they leave, meaning they could be seriously out of pocked in 10-20 years. I see there are still people campaigning against this, but it doesn't look hopeful. Second option is the Contributory Parent Visa, which I believe will cost close to $100,000 for both parents. ($47k each) How long is it until this visa is granted if they apply in Australia? How long until they are covered for full Medicare? Can they apply for a Pension Card straight away? Can they claim AU pension in 10 years time? Are there any other benefits to paying for this visa other than instant access to full Medicare? (And is it actually instant?) Is there anyone here who has been though this process with their parents? Any issues I should consider? Thank you.