Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Realistic

Members
  • Content Count

    3
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Realistic

  • Rank
    Newbie
  1. Realistic

    Is cancelling a tourist visa...worth it!!

    Hi Guys, Thanks for your advice. I couldn't sleep last night so i did a lot of research, which confirms what you say. I could attempt the BVE route and apply for work rights. However, i still have over 5k of savings in the bank and they will need to see bank statements (3 months back), i will be lucky if these savings last 11 weeks though. I don't usually use migration agents, although i have consulted with them in the past. They're not a financially viable option for us, as we're financing this ourselves. However, they know the ins and outs a little better and i did contact a migration agent yesterday. I tried to call immigration too...hehe, what a nightmare that was. Transferred three times, received guarded, unhelpful responses every time. I will look into visiting the DIBP for an actual face to face conversation. It is extremely frustrating. I received my EOI invitation four days after my student visa expired, i was so close. If you aren't being financially drained, you're limited in your ability to gather funds. Good character building, eh!!
  2. Realistic

    Is cancelling a tourist visa...worth it!!

    I thought this also but the bridging visa was processed on my 489 visa application. The tourist visa is a separate application.
  3. Hi Guys, My partner and i are from the UK, we have been in Australia for over 3.5 years. We've completed two WHV’s and afterwards i completed an 18 month course. Once i completed the course, i went through the many applications and processes required to progress onto the next stage. I have finally been invited to apply for a 489 state nominated visa. Unfortunately, we had to go onto tourist visa's, whilst waiting for my EOI. I have now applied for the 489 visa and been granted a BVA, which i have been told, won’t come into effect until our tourist visa's expire. This mean’s that we must wait two months and three weeks before either of us can officially work again. As you can imagine, we have been here a long time, we have a rented apartment, two cars, bills. After spending $40-45k up until this point, which we saved ourselves, without receiving any financial support. The funds are drying up guys and we need to work!! We also have companies that were kind enough to put our jobs on hold, whilst we waited for the EOI. Those jobs will no longer be available to us, if we can't legally work for that long. We're in a bit of a pickle and need to hear the voices of experience. My question is: Can i cancel my tourist visa to activate my bridging visa? If so, what are the potential consequences. If i explained my situation, will it make any difference? Immigration can be very difficult and quite unhelpful at the best of times.
×