Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Nikmoy

Members
  • Content Count

    6
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

1 Follower

About Nikmoy

  • Rank
    Newbie

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thanks for the link! We are not in Australia, so both options are still relevant
  2. @snifter you mentioned a thread showing timings ... can you link to it please?
  3. Great, it seems working on the BVA is ok! That is awesome news for us. We discovered some new information that might be useful here... According to a migration lawyer we spoke to, if you are on the BVA and apply for a BVB to travel, on re-entering Australia you will reset your 3 month tourist visa. So you'll have another 3 months without working rights before going back on your BVA again. This makes holding down a full-time job quite tricky if you want to visit family in that time. Either stay put for 2 years or come and go but with flexible employment. Something to consider.
  4. Hello, A question about Bridging Visas please... My partner and I are looking at applying onshore for a Partner Visa (820) and investigating Bridging Visas. He would be entering Australia on a 3 month tourist visa. This is taken from the 'Partner Migration Booklet 1' : "Persons applying in Australia for a Partner visa may not be immediately eligible to work or study in Australia, unless their previous visa allowed them to do so. Once their previous visa ceases, Partner visa applicants with an associated Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B may be immediately eligible to work in Australia. Further information regarding bridging visas is available from the department’s website www.border.gov.au/trav/visi/visi/bridging-visas " We are concerned about the wording 'MAY BE imediately elibible'. Does this mean there's situations that he wouldn't be? We are wanting to be 100% certain that he will be able to work after his tourist visa expires and the Bridging Visa comes into effect. It just seems too good to be true? Going from having no work rights to automatically being able to work for the 2 years while awaiting a decision, is this right? Thanks, Nicole.
  5. Thank you for your replies. And thanks for your kind words @snifter Sorry, I have compliled a few questions without clearly separating... I wasn't thinking we would apply for compassionate reasons if we were to take the bridging visa route. Only for the off-shore. I've only recently found out about bridging visas, so still researching it as an option. @Quoll @Nemesis I think you are both right. They probably wouldn't extend any special circumstances to the situation. I can be here regardless. We are just trying to minimise time apart in difficult circumstances. Had this situation at home not occured, there wouldn't be any particular urgency for the move, but it adds a lot of pressure and we are eager to get things moving. We need to decide on on/off-shore now before moving forward. I'm currently based in Brisbane. If anyone knows of a good immigration lawyer we can find out more on the bridging visa information, please advise.
  6. Hello, I’ve only just come across this forum today. I’ve spent the best part of the day browsing and reading information to get some advice on our situation. My boyfriend and I have been together just over 3 years, and lived together over a year. I am Australian, and he is Canadian. We live in the UK where (I have lived there approx 16 years now). Around January of this year, we had made the decision we want to move to Australia. We want a family, a house, sunshine. A good quality of life and to be near my family. We had not yet submitted our application, but had started gathering the paperwork and filling in the forms. In early May, I go a call from my mother to tell me she has MDS. It’s a blood cancer that can develop into leukaemia. There is no cure. There is possible treatment but it will likely make her very sick. Both my parents are elderly, my father is disabled and in a wheelchair. My mother is his primary carer. She has been given a prognosis of 12-18 months. I am currently in Australia helping her come to terms with it and trying to get as much information from her doctor (fortnightly) appointments as we can. My return flight to London is booked this friday and I am terrified of leaving. I am needed here now. There is so much going on with both my parents and their conditions, I really want to be home to support them emotionally and help where I can. We have gathered most of the information we need to submit the visa, but I am now torn. I recently learned about a bridging visa which would allow my partner to come immediately and stay until our application is (fingers crossed) granted. If there’s one person I need close to me right now with all that is going on it is him. So my questions: Has anyone had any success with compassionate reasons on prioritising the application? I have read I can submit a letter, which I will do. Is a on-shore application / bridging visa a good option for us? I see the wait times can be longer, but if it means he can come and be here with me at this time, we would consider this. We were applying for the off-shore partner visa. Does applying on-shore complicate anything? Does it change the application we have already started. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!
×