Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Posts posted by Marisawright

  1. I wouldn't think it worthwhile to set up a private limited company, considering you may be leaving after two years.

    It would make a lot more sense to run the business as a sole trader.  You just need to register for a ABN (Australian Business Number).  You don't even need to register for GST if your turnover is below a certain amount.  Then just start work.  

    You might find this website helpful.  https://www.flyingsolo.com.au/

    It's very common for spouses of 482 holders to run their own businesses as sole traders.

  2. 1 hour ago, calNgary said:

    If you are going on a tour that leaves from the city (in Brisbane this would include Bus, Ferry, Cruise etc) you will struggle to find free ,safe street parking. Your best bet but would be to speak to camp site owners about leaving it there and getting a taxi or train into the city or be friend someone who can store it at their house.

     Cal x

    Good point. Not sure what Brisbane is like but in Sydney and Melbourne they’ve really cracked down on people sleeping in their cars on streets or public car parks, so you’ll probably be in a campsite anyway

  3. 8 hours ago, Reana18 said:

    I’m planning on sleeping in my vehicle and only staying in accommodations maybe once a week. I was thinking about leaving it on a street but I didn’t know what the rules were for that. 

    Parking regulations are much the same as the UK so it’s just a case of finding a street that doesn’t have restrictions. Not too hard in the suburbs 

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

  4. 20 minutes ago, ozuk said:

    I still cant decide if it's for me. Where I am the average age is 28 so I feel out of place. 99% of people are considerably younger than me and I feel like this is the land of the giants as I constantly have to look up when talking to people. Everyone is so incredibly tall here, even the women. Must be something in the water lol 

    @ozuk, did you see my post above?  here it is again:

    "Something doesn't add up.  The bridging visa doesn't qualify for Medicare, BUT as a former UK resident, you've been eligible for Medicare under the reciprocal agreement since the day you arrived.  

    On your thread back in August, you said you had planned to live on your investments, on the basis you would get 5% interest, which would give you $1500 a month.  That means that in August, you had about $360,000 in investments.  So it makes no sense that you've got no money to go home.

    In August, you said the waiting time for your visa is 50 years, so there is no way your bridging visa is about to run out. Therefore there is no way you will be living in Australia illegally."

    In August, we all advised you to cut your losses and go home, because clearly, you're going to end up destitute if you stay in Australia.  And you don't sound happy.  So why you're still here beats me.

    • Like 4

  5. Where would you leave your car if you went away for 3 days in the UK?   You may end up in a flat which has parking included.  If not, you'll be parking your car on the street and I don't see why you'd worry about leaving it there for 3 days.  If you are flying somewhere and want to leave the car near the airport, there are parking operators near the airport who will give you a daily rate.

    • Like 1

  6. 13 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

    Wasn’t this mainly around people on a tourist visa doing it? I’m sure that’s what wrussell was meaning as in would it be considered work which of course isn’t allowed.

    ...but the fact is that hundreds of tourists do it every year (or used to before Covid!).  

    It would be really interesting to find an ATO ruling, but there doesn't seem to be one which is truly relevant to normal house-sitting arrangemements, i.e. where the person lives in the house for a period and performs basic housekeeping tasks in lieu of paying rent. 

  7. 57 minutes ago, Kelpie said:

    I don’t think it’s unusual for people to miss home in their first year of being away especially during a pandemic with the travel restrictions and social distancing. I was lucky to end up in WA so the restrictions weren’t too bad at all. If I’d been in Victoria I may very well have left by now. 

    If it’s only been a few months then that’s different 

  8. 42 minutes ago, tea4too said:

    Payment in Kind is receipt of goods and services as payment instead of cash. Friends and relatives do it without thought but usually it is a favour and the recipient does not rely on the goods/service as part of their income.

    In theory someone housesitting 'free' is actually receiving in kind the equivalent of the cost to rent the place furnished, plus any additional services. I can see how that might raise issues, particularly as professional house sitters exist and will provide a similar service for a fee. T x

    I think this is how Westly views it - although the great majority of house-sitters don't charge a fee for the service, there are a few professionals out there. 

    No one on this thread is a tax expert so I don't think we can give a definitive answer.  I wonder what @Alan Collett thinks of it.

  9. 23 minutes ago, ozuk said:

    It's just over 50 years I think. I applied for the 835 visa also. Once I'm 120 years old I'll get the visa (if approved) so I can register for Medicare. 

    You've already been told that as a former UK resident, you're already eligible for Medicare.  Did you see my reply on the other thread?

  10. 5 hours ago, Kelpie said:

    I keep telling myself things will get better.  The home I'm missing doesn't really exist anymore with all the restrictions. 

    If you're missing home, then go home. Yes, things will have changed, but the fundamentals are still there.  If you're feeling homesick, that feeling will never go away - in fact it will get stronger and stronger - until you go home. 

  11. 47 minutes ago, ramot said:

    As Marisa says why would we? What has immigration got to do with us? We are residents, and someone who is also a resident  stays in our house for free, House sitting is a very normal thing here, better than leaving a house empty, that might attract the attention of burglaries, or have a catastrophic water leak for example, while empty.

    That's the point I was trying to make. When an Australian resident house-sits for another Australian resident, no one declares anything to the taxman because no money has changed hands.  So I'm struggling to see why it would be different just because it's someone from overseas. 

    • Like 1


    3 hours ago, Kelpie said:

     I'm here on a 482 at the moment.  

    If you're on a 482, then you'd be a fool to buy a place. For a start, you'll have to  apply to FIRB for permission (and pay a few thousand in fees).  Then you'll be whacked a Foreign Buyer's fee on top of the purchase price.  On a $400,000 property, it's an extra $30,000.  

    There's no guarantee you'll be able to transition from the 482 to a permanent visa - the refusal rate is very high even now, and likely to get harder after Covid - so if you end up having to go home and sell the property in a few years, there's a risk you won't be able to recoup all those fees.  

    • Like 2

  13. 12 hours ago, Parley said:

    Yes but my point is it is the same house. I bought it for $225,000 in 1995. Now it is worth $1.4M.

    I know what you're saying.  Yes, house prices have gone up disproportionately but bear in mind, inflation has gone up  since then too.  What was the average salary in 1995 compared to now?  That makes a big difference.  I remember our first flat in Scotland cost a few thousand pounds but it seemed like a fortune at the time.

  14. 14 hours ago, MajHam said:

    Hi all. Heading to WA later this month now that we’ve been granted our 143. I wonder if anyone who has made the move can advise what we might need to re taxation. We will still have a rental property in the UK. I believe I have to complete paperwork to avoid double taxation but I think I read something about having to have UK property valued for the purposes of Australian tax? If anyone has experience of this and can advise...great. If not I’ll see tax advisor when we get to Australia. Just wondered if anyone knows if there is anything I should do before we leave.

    You don't have to get the property valued but it may be a good idea to do so in case of later CGT issues.  It's nothing to do with double taxation, though.  

    In Australia, if you own a rental property, you can claim depreciation on the fabric of the building and the interior fixtures.  Depending on the age of the property, it can save you a bundle in tax.   You need a valuer to draw up a depreciation schedule before you go.  Australian valuers know how to do it, most British ones would have no idea (because it's not done in the UK). However, I believe Alan Collett has a contact in the UK who knows the ropes.

    You dont need to do anything in advance about double taxation.  Basically, you'll have to complete a UK tax return, where you declare any income that's paid in the UK (but not any of your Australian income).   Then you'll have to declare ALL your income, both from the UK and from Australia, on your Aussie tax return, plus you'll declare any British tax paid on the UK income. The taxman will sort it out from there.

    I have to give another vote to Alan.  I've never used his services, but I've found that most Australian tax agents don't have a clue how to handle UK income, and we've even had one member end up with a big fine because their tax agent gave them bad advice.  So either go with Alan or find another company that can demonstrate experience across both countries. 

    Some people do handle it themselves but it does become a minefield, and doubly so if you own a rental property.  I'm so glad I used a tax agent all the time I owned a rental property - because when you sell it, you have to go back through every single year you've owned it and calculate depreciation and expenses etc all over again so they can calculate the CGT, and I wouldn't have stood a chance if the tax agent hadn't had all the records at his fingertips.

  15. 3 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

    In Canada,  I own property and it does not affect any of my taxes and assets here in Australia.

    Are you sure?  If you are a permanent resident in Australia, you are liable to pay tax on all income received anywhere in the world.   I am not aware of any exceptions.  That means you must declare the income from your Canadian property on your Australian tax return. If you don't, you are breaking the law and liable for a large fine when it's discovered.

    If there is a double taxation agreement in place, then you will also declare the Canadian tax already paid, and the Australian taxman will reduce your Australian tax liability by that amount.  So in that sense, you don't get charged twice - but it's not as simple as  "I paid tax in Canada so I don't have to pay tax in Australia".   T

    • Like 2

  16. 13 hours ago, Parley said:

    That theoretical scenario could occur in any US election on both sides.

    Indeed it could, the point is that once upon a time, it would have been regarded as unthinkable and no one would have dreamed of trying it. 

    It simply shouldn’t be possible to defy democracy like that. It’s an indictment of America’s system 

    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1

  17. On 12/11/2020 at 09:33, NicF said:

    Because a lot of people that voted Brexit didn't vote Brexit because of the promises made.  They voted Brexit because they have never felt like they belonged in the EU, not helped by years of being fed misinformation about how the EU is to blame for pretty much everything.  I know for my mum she was angry because the EU wouldn't let the deport some criminal or another (regardless of why the ruling was made).  It wasn't about facts and figures or truth and lies, it was about feelings and belonging and you are never going to change the way those people feel by spouting facts and figures at them.  It's also why a lot don't care about whether the UK leave with a deal or without one, just as long as they leave.


    I think this is true. I always felt joining the Common Market was a huge mistake in the first place, given that even the government was half hearted about it.  It was just too “foreign” for the average Brit to swallow. 

    But once it was done, and having spent so many years as a member, I also felt that disentangling from the EU would do far too much damage to the UK. So I would have voted remain.

    • Like 2

  18. 4 hours ago, simmo said:

    It's setting out a scenario where "if" fraudulent voting is taken into consideration Biden didn't win.

    Obviously you didn't read the article properly.  It's setting out a scenario where, due to the public outrage whipped up by Trump, Republican governors will feel emboldened to decide that fraudulent voting occurred even if it isn't proved.  

    • Like 3

  19. 31 minutes ago, ozuk said:

    I prefered Australia when on holiday. Not keen on it now as within months of moving here I've developed a serious disease and as I don't qualify for Medicare 

    Something doesn't add up.  The bridging visa doesn't qualify for Medicare, BUT as a former UK resident, you are eligible for Medicare under the reciprocal agreement.  

    On your thread back in August, you said you had planned to live on your investments, on the basis you would get 5% interest, which would give you $1500 a month.  That means that in August, you had about $360,000 in investments.  So it makes no sense that you've got no money to go home.

    In August, you said the waiting time for your visa is 50 years, so there is no way your bridging visa is about to run out. Therefore there is no way you will be living in Australia illegally.

    What's the truth?


    • Like 6

  20. 3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

    The floodgates of people whose partner dies while they are in living in Australia?  Given the restrictions on age to get the visa in the first place this is hardly going to be a flood is it?

    No, the floodgates on people who are on a temporary visa being given permanent residency just because we feel sorry for them.

    They hadn't applied for a permanent visa and they had kept their home in Colombo,

    • Like 1