Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Posts posted by Marisawright

  1. 1 hour ago, cricha200 said:

    For me, I just feel "home is home", and I have a large family here with ageing parents. However, I am 27y.o and want to make the most of my 'better years' of life, and build myself professionally and have the life experiences I want that being in that corner of the world will offer me. 

    Sounds good.  I would urge you to get things moving asap, because being a social worker right now, you have an advantage, and it would be a shame to lose that. 

    Currently, visa processing is almost at a standstill EXCEPT for occupations that are on the Priority list for Covid - and Social Worker is one of those occupations.  It means that in the current emergency, your application will be processed much faster and you may need fewer points to get a place.  

    Applying now doesn't mean you have to move now.  Once you get your visa, you just need to fly over to Australia for a short visit to activate it, and then it's valid for almost 5 years. So you can take your time to plan for and make your move. 

  2. 1 hour ago, cricha200 said:

    You are the second person to recommend discussing with Alan...


    There are lots of good tax people who know the British system and lots who know the Australian one, but very few who work across both systems.  Alan is one of those few, which is why his name crops up so often.  

    He's also a migration agent so you could consider using him to get your visa application done.  I don't know if he offers discounts for bulk!

  3. 47 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

    Well, both Benidorm and Surfers have got plenty going on beyond the beach. They all have their "hinterlands" where you can explore, 

    It would be great to be so easily entertained, but some of us are more demanding.    Personally, I want a wide choice of all of the following: adult classes in arts, crafts and dance; social dancing; plays, concerts, musicals, festivals, galleries, clubs, open-air events, shopping, etc. These all have to be real-world things, online isn't good enough.  

    All those things exist in Perth or Surfers but with a  narrower choice - not wide enough for me, because I need change and variety in my activities.  I'd be happy there at first, but once I'd tried everything (which might take a few years, admittedly), I wouldn't know what to do with myself. 

     I think you are more the type of person who develops a routine and then is happy with it, and there's nothing wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with my preferences. We're all different and that's good. 

    • Like 2

  4. 8 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

    I wouldn't be on here unless I was genuinely trying to find quality workers.

    Like I said, I never doubted YOU were genuine.  My only concern was whether you were being well advised.  You have put my mind at rest, always assuming those Sri Lankan mechanics weren't for a business that met the criteria for a Critical Industry.

    By the way, the addition of Social Worker was as part of the Covid response, so it's not really a sign of any softening of attitude by the govt.

  5. 13 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

    I lived near Manchester too, for about 5 years before we emigrated. The school may well be named the Bobby Charlton soccer school but I've never heard anyone from that area call football soccer. 

    Just imagine, you're sat in the pub close to the City or United game, having a few pints before kick off, some nice rough pubs around both grounds, and you said "ah well chaps, off to see the soccer".😅

    It's the same everywhere in the world, though.  Each type of football has a "proper" name - soccer, rugby, rugby league, Aussie rules, whatever - but in every country, the most popular type of football is called "football" and the rest (if they exist at all) get their proper name. 

    • Like 1

  6. 1 hour ago, Graham Fletcher said:

    Yes it is. Social worker was added in November. I realise you are, for some reason, being negative as you obviously think I am trying to con people

    Not at all.  I am sure you are absolutely genuine.  I am just concerned that the agent is conning you - after all, they get their money whether or not you're successful. 

    There are some very professional-looking national and international firms which are total conmen.   I would take Raul's advice before I'd take the advice of an unnamed firm.

  7. 11 hours ago, cricha200 said:

    I am a qualified social worker in the UK (Scotland) and looking to apply for the 189 visa specifically. I was wondering though if anyone has experience / if it can be the case working in both Aus for say 9-10 months out of the year, and working in the UK the rest? I understand that with the 189 PR is granted, but wondering if that entails moving to an Aussie passport or keep my UK one? I can't find anything online to indicate this.

    Additionally, I am wondering if anyone has experience in owning property here in the UK and living on a 189 visa in Aus - how does this work r.e tax etc? 

    Working in two countries

    Once you have your 189 skilled visa, there is no obligation to work as a social worker or even to work at all.   So there is nothing to stop you working in both countries if you wish. It will be a bit of a tax headache but that is easily solved by using a tax agent to do your taxes.  It doesn't cost a fortune. Just make sure you use someone like Alan who knows the tax rules for both countries.  They can overlap and someone who only knows the British system or only knows the Aussie one, can make mistakes through ignorance than could cost you dear!

    You do pay tax in both countries, BUT you don't end up paying double tax, because there is a double taxation agreement and they offset each other.


    The 189 gives you the right to live in Australia, not citizenship - so no Aussie passport unless you decide you want to be a citizen (which you can't do until you've been a resident for four+ years). Even then, you don't need to hand in your UK passport.  Many of us hold both passports. 

    Just be aware that on a 189, your right to live in Australia isn't permanent (which is why getting citizenship is a good idea if you want to stay long-term).  I won't go into it now, but make sure you look into the ins and outs once you've got the visa. 

    Owning property in the UK and living in Australia

    Lots of people do it.  Again, it's a tax headache if you try to DIY, but you get the same tax agent to look after the tax returns for you - then it's a dawdle!  If you're planning to return to the property eventually, then it's probably the best option for you.  

    You'll hear horror stories about bad tenants, and anyone can be unlucky - but it depends on the property and who looks after it.  Take a look around the suburb and see how other rental properties in the area are looked after - that will give you some idea of the kind of tenant you're likely to get. Prepare the property as if you were going to live in it, that way you'll attract a top-drawer tenant.  Do thorough research into local letting agents before choosing the one you want to manage it. 

  8. 9 hours ago, TheDuffer said:

    Qualified Chartered Accountant from Ireland, looking to move to Sydney in 2022. I want to travel and work during the first year, then settle down and work full time. I am aware I can go over on the Working Holiday Visa, which will allow me to do the above for 8/9 months until I will need to begin the relevant regional work for 88 days (I believe it has to be done within the first 12 months). 

    Given my qualifications, is there an alternative VISA I can apply for...

    The only other temporary visa is a 482 employer-sponsored, and obviously they would expect you to work full-time.   Anyway, there's a glut of accountants in Australia now, so the chances of an employer getting permission to sponsor are slim (unless you are at a senior level).  The sad thing is that the glut is caused by a flood of Chinese and Indian accountancy graduates. Not doubting their accountancy skills, but their spoken English abilities are often lacking and many Australian companies would be eager to employ a fluent English speaker!  Unfortunately, as the Chinese and Indian candidates are able to pass written English tests,  an employer would never be able to prove they can't find a suitable local candidate (which is a requirement for sponsorship). 

    If you want to migrate permanently, then you need to go for a skilled visa. The bad news is that the application process is competitive and points-based.  There is a quota every year.  Once the quota is filled, everyone else just loses their money. There are so many accountants applying that you'll need to score 100 points to stand a chance of success.


    Once you have your skilled visa, there is no obligation to work as an accountant or even to work at all.    


  9. 14 hours ago, Clocktwister said:

    So me and my fiancée aged 24 and 23 are looking at emigrating from UK to Australia hopefully by the end of this year. 


    Last week, the Health Minister confirmed that Australia's borders will remain closed till near the end of 2021, so it's unlikely you'll make it this year. 

    Once the borders are open, your best bet would be to apply for Working Holiday Visas (WHV), which are cheap and quick to obtain. They will let you work in Australia for a year (two years, if  you're willing to do some regional work).   Although there's a perception that the WHV is for people to come and travel around Australia and do bar work, there are lots of WHV'ers who stay in a city and work full-time in their usual profession.   It's a good way to make contacts in your industry and you might even find an employer to sponsor you to stay on. 

    If you don't want to do the WHV and prefer to wait until you can migrate permanently, then you're going to need a skilled visa (your parents can't help you, I'm afraid).  If you go that route, then you're probably looking at 2023 before you can hope to get here. 

    First, you need to work out whether you're even eligible.  That means you have the qualifications AND the experience AND can score enough points (at least 95 to stand a chance).  Then you need to apply.  Then you wait to see if you're invited (it's a competitive process and only the top scorers get picked, the rest just lose their money).   Once you're invited, you wait again for the visa to be processed.  

    The whole thing usually takes about a year. However, due to Covid, there's a backlog of applications from 2020 that haven't been processed yet, so I dread to think how long it will take for new applications to get considered. 

    As Southlander says, these days the whole thing is so complex, you really need to book a consultation with an agent so you can fully understand your options and formulate a strategy. That's especially important if you have a partner, as you want to be sure you can include her on your visa (other than the WHV, which she would get in her own right).


  10. 42 minutes ago, North to South said:

    Hi, I've just contacted a dealer regarding buying a car and they've said that I need to obtain a South Australian drivers licence before I can register the car.  Is this correct and if so, does anyone know how long the process takes to obtain a licence, and can you use an Airbnb address if you're staying there for a couple of months ?

    You can use an Airbnb address for everything, but check whether anything will be posted to you - you may  not have access to the letterbox. 


  11. 22 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

    Totally agree, the list is definitely a moving feast. I am awaiting info from my migration lawyer, he tells me he has just had 5 mechanics approved but it seems there is no hard and fast rules for the exemptions. Each case is looked at separately. I will post any information I get, it may be useful to others

    No, it's not a moving feast.  It hasn't moved since last March and there's no sign of the government changing its rigid stance anytime soon -  that's what everyone is complaining about. 

    If your agent is getting mechanics approved then that's great news though I'm very surprised.  I assume your agent is reputable and MARA registered.  

  12. 21 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

    Thanks Paul, would definitely consider the Sponsorship path. 

    Paul was pointing out that sponsorship is available only for people on the PMSOL, or who have critical skills/working in a critical sector.  So currently, you wouldn't be able to sponsor anyone.

    Not trying to discourage you, just wanting to make sure applicants don't get their hopes up for nothing.   Just a few days ago, the government said international borders won't open till near the end of the year, and there 's a huge backlog of skilled visa applicants (hardly anyone who applied in 2020 has had their visas looked at yet), so it's likely you're going to need some patience.

    • Like 1

  13. 32 minutes ago, helppls said:

    I had been planning for a couple of years to move back home around this time, pre covid 

    @helppls, if you are genuinely moving permanently and attach all the required evidence (proof you have booked your shipping, proof you have given notice to your landlord/put your house on the market, etc), then you will have no difficulty getting approved.  Make sure you apply under the correct category and attach all the necessary paperwork.

    People who are moving permanently always get approved.  They don't care if people leave.  They are only worried about you wanting to come back, because then you might bring covid with you.

  14. 1 hour ago, Ollie1234 said:

    There was some correspondence from immi to one of the agents on here that suggested the only way to get action was to highlight this in the media. I feel it's a chance worth taking as I can't see how the situation could be worse (personal opinion). Big issue for me is actually lack of transparency. We made the decision to remain in Australia based on parents getting in (what we thought was a 4.5 year) line for the 457. Now the opportunity to return has passed. 

    The opportunity to return has never passed if you really want to go.

    • Like 1

  15. 18 hours ago, aus1010 said:

    What I'm asking is whether or not 3+ months is a reasonable timeline, regardless of who is paying them, to lodge a straightforward TRTS application. 

    I don't know what a reasonable timeframe is.  However, considering the complexity of the preparation the employer has to do, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me. 

  16. On 18/01/2021 at 07:36, jbeeaar said:

    Thankyou for your response.. But what happens if she’s been on a bridging visa for so long and the visa hasn’t been granted? 

    It sounds to me as though something is seriously wrong because it would never take so long to get a second WHV

  17. 4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

    I suppose I was pondering, "should I sell Surry Hills and buy in Surfers Paradise?" or "rent out Surry Hills and rent in Surfers Paradise?"

    I did wonder if my super counted as "easily accessible?"

    It's up to you, but if your rent from Surry Hills can pay for your rent in Surfers, then I say, why put yourself through the stress of selling?   

    At your age, your super should be "easily accessible".  It would be worth contacting Aussie Super to see how much notice you'd need to give them, if you wanted to make a small withdrawal. That way you'll know for sure.  

    • Like 1