I recently posted on here explaining that my husband has a job offer as a Machine Operator in WA. The company are happy to sponsor us and thanks to another poster on here, it would seem that the RSMS 119 Visa is probably our only option. However, in the visa process tradition of one step forward, three steps back, whilst reading Booklet 5, I have since discovered the following on page 23:
The department uses the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO), published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, to identify the level of skill and qualifications that are required to completely perform the tasks of occupations in Australia.
• Skill level 1 and 2 occupations require a diploma level or higher qualification and are normally approved as a normal appointment;
• Skill level 3 and 4 occupations do not generally require a diploma and can only be approved under exceptional appointment provisions;
• Skill level 5 occupations do not always require formal qualifications and are not considered to be skilled occupations for the RSMS.
If a nominated occupation does not require the qualifications specified in ANZSCO then it is possible that the duties related to a lower skilled occupation. Skill level 3 and 4 occupations are included in the following occupation groups:
• Group 3 – Technician and trades workers
• Group 4 – Community and personal service workers
• Group 5 – Clerical and administrative workers
• Group 6 – Sales workers
• Group 7 – Machine operators and drivers
• Group 8 – Labourers.
If employers are seeking approval for occupations within skill levels 3–4, that are not within ‘Group 3 – Technicians and trades workers’, they must provide a detailed submission explaining why they believe the appointment should be approved as exceptional (see Exceptional appointments – RSMS on page 25).
Where the appointment is to be considered exceptional, and the occupation is not within ‘Group 3 – Technicians and trades workers’, the nomination can be approved only where it is in regard to a position currently occupied by the nominee who is the holder of a subclass 457 visa, and has been in that position for at least a period of 2 years prior to the lodgement of the nomination.
Can anybody help me with this please? Neither of us have a skill that is on the SOL so this is our only option. The job of Machine Operator is classified under Group 7 of Level 4. Are our dreams over before they've started? (dramatic, moi?)
Many thanks and apologies for the lengthy post.