any scots familys in geraldton, wa

Guest gerry22

Guest gerry22

we have come out on a 457, now have house on outskirts of geraldton, drummond cove area,

we are looking to see if any other expats in region,we have 5 kids all under 10.

cant help but notice the amount of dirty looks you get in shops etc due to having 5 kids .......:biggrin:

Guest gerry22

we are abt 4 hr drive north of perth, still dont knw ifits where wewant to be.. i was working out here in oz for 3 months prior to the family coming out but mostof that time i was working in sydney, nsw.. then i was resent to geraldton in march...not bad i find people here very jugmental maybee its because thy not use to seeing big familys, i have 5 kids with my wife, and i knw they look talk and stik thr noses up...out here everything shops wise is 8 till 6 monday to friday, no late tesco style shops..and on a sunday and public holidays shops similar to that of small coop shops are all you have...still up and coming with allegid plans for malls etc...they are building here like you wouldnt imagine..heres a tip go get working holiday visa before you spend money on main one as it will open doors such as sponsorship etc........its easier to come in on that and apply for another 1 when you here working..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gerry22
Hi im from Arbroath. ive been in Geraldton for about 6 weeks we're looking for a house at the moment(what a nightmare). we've a 4 yr old daughter. where did ya come from?

glasgow,,,,,mate , try active west in geraldton for rentals...

what you oot here doin.....may be able to help youz in areas regarding rental areas as to where to avoid...

be aware late night shoppin is thursday 9.00pm,,,,,woohoo ,no 24 hr tesco here...lol

nuthin open on a sunday...we mean nuthin......:arghh:happy days

Guest scottiedog

Gerry

You should be happy nothing open on a sunday with having 5 kids me thinks u would be a good catholic boy?

You say they are building like mad in Geraldton?

Soo if a builder like me and sure not too get to many looks with only 2 kids turned up you reckon my chances of work would be good?

You know what they say in Glasgow whit school did yeh go tae then i will know for sure?

Guest gerry22
Gerry

You should be happy nothing open on a sunday with having 5 kids me thinks u would be a good catholic boy?

You say they are building like mad in Geraldton?

Soo if a builder like me and sure not too get to many looks with only 2 kids turned up you reckon my chances of work would be good?

You know what they say in Glasgow whit school did yeh go tae then i will know for sure?

pmsl.

i rekon your on mate.....lots of jobs out here, especially trades....have a good scoot abt, but youll get summit.

mainly building on outskirts,,,ie drummonds cove, sunset beech ,tarcoola etc....

good luk...

keep in touch.

Yeah i noticed its a bit of a ghost town but atleast its not raining much here :laugh: Im working on the powerlines so we'll be here for a few yrs, the mrs is talking about going home already lol. Nothing open but the cathedral lol

Guest gerry22
Yeah i noticed its a bit of a ghost town but atleast its not raining much here :laugh: Im working on the powerlines so we'll be here for a few yrs, the mrs is talking about going home already lol. Nothing open but the cathedral lol

you got kids oot with you....

my mrs is in the same boat ....we are in drummond cove,im working for hire company providing off road trucks to mines / power ind.

Guest jhutton

Hi everyone.Me and my husband and 4 kids are going to Geraldton soon .We are from Coatbridge.I am a nurse.How is it?Annie Lamb what are you going to do there and do you have any kids.Have you looked at places to stay ets.What sort of a visa are you goin on?Have you heard of best place to stay .How much are the flight from perth to geraldton.CAN BELIEVE YOU ARE ALL GOING.

Hi jhutton! That's amazing that wer all going there! It really is a small world! I'm currently living with my father in law in coatdyke so not far from u at all! I don't have any kids, ur 4 are going to b so lucky to experience Australian life!! I don't really know much about place to stay and accommodation. My work are getting me somewhere to stay, I'm hoping for a four bedroom over looking the beach - wat do u think my chances are lol!! I'm a social worker and will be working in child protection, I leave on 1st July and start on 9th - exciting stuff!! When do u go? I'm going on a 457 visa, u? I'm not sure about the prices of flight, I've to get quotes and my work will pay them

Guest jhutton

What a small world.My husband found flights for 800 pounds.I recognise your name.I bet we know each other.How long is your work going to pay your accomadation for?Do you intend to stay or are you just going for a few years.I have still to get my visa but just waiting on police check.How long did your 457 take including the medicals?Did you apply for 457 on line?I wish I could tell you more but I dont feel too secure on these sites.I will give u my e-mail before u go.What do you know about Geraldton?

Hi jhutton,

Im not too sure how long my accomodation is paid for, I've not asked too many questions but I really should do!! Yes I applied online for my 457, I didn't go for a medical - I only submitted my application on Thursday so they request one. I didn't send for a police check either, I sent one that my husband and I had from 2010 so not sure if they will ask for a more recent one. I have been advised that the visa should take about 6 - 10 days. I intend to stay - not planning on returning to Scotland except for brief holidays. I don't know too much about geraldton - lobster capital of the world, holiday resort for Australians, rural and coastal, a lot of building work going on at the moment. My second names not lamb - that's my hubbies pet name for me :) its such a small world we may well know each other!! Yes al get ur email address, it would b nice to have a familiar face in Geraldton!!

hi, sorry to jump in but im from ayrshire and have just received a job offer that bases myself and the missus in Geraldton on a 457 just have the visa to complete. It was one of our top choices, so i guess the biggest question is what's it like!? It looks stunning from what we have researched.

dustin and kate

Hi dustin and Kate!

Aye it looks gorgeous! It also looks like us scots r gonna take over Geraldton soon lol. I applied for my 457 visa on Thursday and it was approved on Tuesday! I can't believe how quickly it went through. When r u planning on going?

Anne

hiya Anne,

If all goes to plan our flight will be either october or november. When do you take the plunge and move? Were hoping to make some friends/acquaintances on here before we go to help us settle in a little easier when we arrive perhaps...i have seen a few posts where "the women" want to go home already which is worrying me a little (kate) now that we know the location i have started to also look for work. Im hoping that it is as nice as the gearldton tourism website!

Hi Kate,

I go on 1st July! It's scary but exciting at the same time! I'll keep u updated about what to expect. Yes it'll be good to get to know people before moving out, I'm hoping to do the same! It looks gorgeous doesn't it. Do u have any kids? I don't, it's just me n the hubby nit I think the schools there are pretty good. My hubby is looking for a job just now too, he's a painter n decorator n I cany see anything advertised but I'm sure hel get something when we get there!

no kids yet - maybe in a few years after we have settled in. It looks amazing! Fingers crossed its the same when we get there. I work in finance and also can not see anything advertised, hopefully it will be easier to find work once we arrive - if not before. My OH prospective employer have sad that they will find us a house to live in, which im glad of, a little less stress hopefully. we are 23 and 28 and hoping to take full advantage of the outdoor lifestyle. yes please keep us updated with how the transition goes for you, hopefully it will all go smoothly :) Have you found accommodation yet? How was the visa process for you? Did you need to provide alot of information. We are not yet married and have heard we will need to prove that we have lived together for more than 3 years.

My work are proving accomodation which is good, I'm still waiting on them telling me exactly where - I'm hoping for a four bedroom over looking the beach!! Better not get my hopes up! The visa process was surprisingly straight forward. There's a list of certified documents u will need, start getting ur stuff together just now and yeah ul need to prove that uve been together for so many years. I'm 34 and the hubby's 42, looking forward to a completely new way of life, canny wait to get more of this sunshine! Been great the past few days eh

definitely, this past few days i have been thinking - we will be living like this soon! Lots of sun sea and sand! Can i ask - are you taking all of your belongings? we don't know what to do for the best - whether to take everything in a container or just buy new when we are there? which will probably prove highly expensive i guess...?

Guest jhutton

Hi does any one know a good company for transferring furniture?Can you inform them whilst it is on rout where you will be wanting it deliveed to?

Guest gerry22

drop us a message if yous feel like meeting up for a bleather,,,we may be able to shed light upon each others story so far.....