anyone in their 20's moving to gearldton in 2012????

myself and my partner will be relocating to Geraldton in November and are looking to meet some people a similar age to us before we get their to try and build our social life!

we are 23 and 28....

Hoping to find people that are already settled in or moving over this year??

Kate :)

Hiya, im kate and 23. I work in finance, not found work yet :( maybe i will get a little holiday first. Im looking forward to it, but have seen a lot of posts where "wifes" just want to go home. Im not quite sure why, i plan to grasp the opportunity with both hands. Im hoping to be able to build up a strong network of friends so that i dont feel isolated. Are you looking forward to the move? My partner signed his contract of employment today so it is all starting to become real. Just the visa to get now and then we are off. Ive heard scare mongering because we are not married we will have to prove we live together etc fingers crossed we can get all the info that they require! I cant even start to gather the documents together as i have no idea what they are. Hoping to start the visa as soon as possible.

Hopefully we will all be enjoying sun, sea and bbq's soon :)

I've not yet come across any other 20's - not that it matters, hopefully we will get on with everyone. I've heard a lot of Scottish people are going so fingers crossed it will be a home from home feel :)

Hi Kate! Sorry about delay, Iv been so busy! My name is Lisa and I'm 24. I'm a primary school teacher so I'm hoping to get some work when I get over there worse thing is the kids summer holidays are from dec 23rd till feb! I don't want to be out of work for long so I'll do any other work when I'm on school hols. I started to fill out an application but it needed my visa details which I don't have as of yet. are you going on your partners visa? The company organises that don't they? Im not looking forward to all the paper work!! I am however really looking forward to the move. At the start I was a wee bit worried that it would have just been us going to Geraldton it's good to know ye are going to!

Yeah Iv heard there are a lot of Scottish people living out in aus. There are a lot of Irish living in Perth I know a few. We can party there some weekends!! I know it's a 4 hour drive tho :( we'll get our own party spot going in Geraldton! I feel same as u don't want to be isolated!

Jamie and I are engaged but I know they will want to see a lot of evidence which is going to be difficult as we don't have a joint bank account, we are thinking of setting one up this week tho! I'll be checking up with u to see what info ye will be gathering!! I'm sure they will tell us tho anyways.

Hiya, im going on dustins visa, that is the thing im most worried about as it is the only thing in our way now. Have you started your visa yet with you going in August?. I have no idea what info they will want for the visa - someone said you had to prove your relationship with things like holiday photographs etc i've even seen someone say they sent telephone bills lol The bank account idea is good. Geraldton is growing quickly so i've seen so fingers crossed we will be able to get jobs. you shouldn't have any problems with the type of work you do. I guess the half term is dec-feb as it is their hottest time of year. I have told dustin that i would sell drinks on the beach if it meant getting a job and some money flowing until i found something in the line of work that i do. Although i currently work for a global company and i know we have an office in Australia however i think it may be in Sydney - i will ask about that when i eventually tell my boss.

We should definitely get the party started in Geraldton! although we could get a plant to perth - its about an hours flight and i guess a weekend away there would justify it. Dustin knows a few people over there but i dont know anyone yet.

Ive been looking at houses even though dustins work are finding us one - i cant help myself - there are some ok ones at not a bad price. i even managed to find one with a pool for $350p/w. We are hoping to get something cheap, live off one wage and save the other so that we can get a good deposit on a house.

No we haven't started the visa process.. we only found out last week Jamie got work. So i don't know if we have to apply ourselves or we wait for western power to send the paper work.. im so confused?!! I know i've been reading things too o well we'll put something together.. Although I seen some posts were people were saying its not a good idea to go on our partners visa as some companies see our visa risky incase our partners get let go so i dont know what to do... I would hate that the partner visa would affect prospects of getting work.

Your idea of selling drinks on the beach sounds great!! I could be your partner in that business, we could organise beach parties etc whi;e getting a tan!! Ideal job!!

Yeah we'v been looking too! we getting put in accommodation for the first 8 weeks so im not concerned about that, one less thing to worry about!

Edited by Lilly16

Spoken to WP today to see if they can tell us what documents we need to collate for the visa- she said that an agent would be in touch after the closing date 1st June. they must be trying to process everyone that is moving at the same time. Dont let that other person worry you about the visa, if it was like that im sure the men would be going over single - as no one would be silly enough to risk everything to not get a job. I think they guys will be pretty safe at WP anyway as it is a job that not many younger people are training to do.

We are having our accommodation arranged for us in Perth and Geraldton for a similar amount of time as you - i forget the exact amount of time.

Im trying hard to not think of this as a holiday; i have no idea what i will do for the time we are in Perth, i think that will be the worst part for me as i have no friends there, dustin will be working, i guess i will be job hunting hopefully for Geraldton ;s

Yeah Jamie was talking to WP today they told him the same! I'm just so eager to get started on the paper work. I know the boys have already ad a police check I presume we need one too and a medical?

Awh don't worry about being in Perth ull mix in no time I'll let u know how all goes neways I'm hoping to get teaching while I'm there just supply/relief teaching. I'll see what happens! Have u told your work yet? You have awhile Yet neways. I'll told mine on monday, all went fine anyways there's nothing they can do!

Ive not told my work yet as it is payrise/bonus time - so i want to make sure i get as much as i can out of them before leaving in oct/nov. Police check? Not heard about dustin having one of those yet - did they just run jamies name through the police system or something? not worried about that anyway as were squeaky clean. Im eager to get it all done with too

Yes, try to keep me upto date when you get there on how your finding everything :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Kate! How are yous getting on with the whole Oz planning? I'm finding it pretty difficult as WP are very laid back with updating the progress of visas etc. All we have been told is that it will be mid August when we fly however, we have not yet received an exact date which is really starting anxious. I just hope they don't spring everything on us! Jamie recently signed the relocation package forms however, we don't know anything about when we will get the container or when we need to have our stuff ready for shipping so again i'm not enjoying the lack of information.

What are ye doing about taking furniture, car etc? Several people are saying that furniture is quite expensive in WA so it would be advisable to take what we can. However, I read somewhere that if you don't own items for at least 12 months you must declare them and pay tax. Do you know anything about that? Jamie and I had planned to go on a shopping spree to Argos and Ikea but that would mean our items are not 12 months old :( Don't know what to do. We were going to take my car as cars are very expensive. We assume the relocation package will include transferring the plates etc but again we are not sure.

I know I'm beginning to sound very negative but I like to be pretty organised, especially if we are due to fly mid August!!

O as regards the police certs mentioned in my last post that was just for me with the whole teaching thing!!

Please feel free to update in on anything!!

Lisa x

Hello, we're in the same situation as yourselves, when we contact hr the just say that an agent will be in touch. We will be taking our furniture with us as we have heard it is expensive - we've been advised that if we are taking anything new to take it out of its original packaging etc. planning on getting new bedding towels etc etc as they are expensive there too....just make sure everything is clean so that your not charged by them for doing it. Not going to take our car as I think that's pretty expensive to do. The container will take up a lot of the relocation money I've seen people on here say 4k of course it all depends on the container. I think we will be taking the six week accommodation also, not too sure how much of the funds that will tak up. I agree it is very stressful, must be worse for you as August is fast approaching. Are you going to stock up toiletries? I think I will, but not sunscreen as I heard its not much different in price there. Im finding it all hard now that it is getting closer, but that is prob just last min nerves and lack of info....ive not even started looking for work yet just incase there is a problem with the visa. Are you taking electricals? Hope to see you soon in oz :)

No I'm not taking eletricals apart from tv and hair straightner, yes I'm going to stock up on toiletries. Jamie finally got emailed last Friday from Tara and then the relocation guy emailed him today with the visa documents to fill out. We have his contact details so we are going to phone him tomorrow. Did dustin receive an email yet? X

Heya, yes we've got the forms from the agent. We just need to arrange health care and write letters about our relationship or something. Have you sent everything back yet? Do you know if there is a Time scale? I was hoping to get it all done this weekend and send back Monday. I'm getting a little nervous about the whole thing now - hopefully just last minute jitters. Kate x

Hiya, I just noticed your post i have sent you a pm. Health care was very strange... because i'm Irish, i'm automatically covered so only Jamie had to organise some! I found that bizzare but I was delighted!! Yeah we sent all of our forms back last week, i'm not sure if their is a timescale, we just wanted to get ours back asap! I know i'm the same, nervous about the job situation but sure we'll be grand! I'm very excited too!!! x

• 2 weeks later...
We're also from Scotland East coast near Dundee

Hey! Good to hear from you! My fiancé is from outside Glasgow and I'm Irish! How are you getting on in Geraldton, do you like it? We got our visa granted yesterday, delighted!! Jamie starts his training with WP 17th sept. any pointers as regards our move and Geraldton?

Its a nice with plenty to do if your willing to look for it. Just keep an open mind and learn to slow down lol. I love it here but my partner isnt a big fan but every1 is different. Ill see Jamie in the depot when he gets here and if you guys need any pointers ill gladly help

Guest shaunandsofiya

My wife and I are moving to Geraldton in a few weeks along with our little boy from QLD. Im 27 from Newcastle and shes 28 from Moscow quite keen to meet some new people when we get there been kinda bored here for the past year.

My wife and I are moving to Geraldton in a few weeks along with our little boy from QLD. Im 27 from Newcastle and shes 28 from Moscow quite keen to meet some new people when we get there been kinda bored here for the past year.

Hi! we are all in the same boat here!! we probably wont get to geraldton until end of october, going to Perth first. Have you work already arranged in geraldton already?

Hello everyone, we will be moving to geraldton in October after 4weeks in Perth also with WP. Has anyone's wife/partner been able to get a job easily enough who are already there? I can't seem to find anything suitable for myself online which is worrying. Hope to see you all down under soon! :)

Guest shaunandsofiya
Hi! we are all in the same boat here!! we probably wont get to geraldton until end of october, going to Perth first. Have you work already arranged in geraldton already?

Hey thanks for your reply. yeah i have a job already and Sofiya works part time from home as well as being a full time Mum. I just finished work on Friday and we set the date to move for next Tuesday. Do you have a job yet? How come you chose Geraldton?

Hey thanks for your reply. yeah i have a job already and Sofiya works part time from home as well as being a full time Mum. I just finished work on Friday and we set the date to move for next Tuesday. Do you have a job yet? How come you chose Geraldton?

O that's good! Well Jamie had chosen a few places to go but western power offered Geraldton. We are both happy with to go there however I'm a bit worried about getting work. Im a primary school teacher so hopefully I get relief teacher or something. You all set for the move? Are u renting accommodation? Why have you decided on gero?