Claiming Super back at the end of a temp visa (457)

gwolst77

Hi quick question,

Can someone give me a quick general overview of claiming your Super back once you return home after you temp visa expires?

I assume that there are costs involved and the ATO will also want a slice of my Super pie as well.

Just trying to figure out what percentage of my Super will I be left with, the general process and timeframes etc

TIA

Id be interested in this too, does a temp visa differ from a perm visa if you leave Australia for good?

With regards to Super you can't withdraw it once you become PR, it becomes like any other pension you basically can't touch it until you get towards retirement age.

Do you know if there is a management fee in addition to the tax liability?

The tax due will be determined according to the tax components of the Super Fund as follows:

Tax-free = 0%

Taxable - taxed element = 35%

Taxable - Untaxed element = 45%

If you have not made any voluntary post tax contributions and are not in a government scheme then the fund is likely to be taxable - taxed element.

There shouldn't be any management fees involved other than perhaps an exit fee for withdrawing although some fund trustees may levy and admin fee (check with specific provider).

Regards

Andy

Edited by Andrew from Vista Financial

• 2 weeks later...
With regards to Super you can't withdraw it once you become PR, it becomes like any other pension you basically can't touch it until you get towards retirement age.

As far as I knew if your PR had lapsed and you left the country then you can claim your super back. However once you become a citizen you could potentially move back to Oz at any age so you then can't access the money until retirement.