Prospects for wife of a 457-er, Brisbane

paisleylass

Hello! Although my husband is the superstar that got the job offer on a 457, I'm the one doing all the posting and asking on Poms In Oz , heheheh. Although his salary offer is pretty good, I want to work too. I already have my CV with my favoured prospective employer, but want to keep my options open in case nothing comes of that.

I've heard it can be tough for 457 dependents to get work. I'm not expecting substantive employment as a temporary resident, but would at least like to temp without doing odd weeks here and there - would rather do fixed term for 6 months to a year. I'm a data analyst (like a statistician, not the business or systems analyst kind), but will do admin, financial or data management type work. Actually my dream job is customs, like on Nothing To Declare/Border Security, but I reckon you need citizen status for that!

I'm waffling now. I guess I just want to hear from other 457 secondaries - husbands, wives, even grown-up children of the main applicant - about their employment experience. As the time to go draws nearer this is playing on my tiny mind somewhat!

Guest guest36187

My husband was a 457 secondary!!! He walked into a bus driving job after six weeks. He didn't look for a job for the first few weeks tho.

My husband was a 457 secondary!!! He walked into a bus driving job after six weeks. He didn't look for a job for the first few weeks tho.
Wow, he did alright then! It's funny cos, like a lot of people, I wouldn't mind a complete career change, maybe give my analytical brain a rest! But some data analyst jobs pay pretty good, and it could mean the difference between renting a unit or a fancy house! And I wouldn't mind using my skills - but maybe switch topics. Wonder if Brisso Police need data analysts?!

Guest Scotinaus

I had no problems getting long term work so I think you'll be fine.... No need to restrict yourself to temp/casual work.

Good luck!