New To The Gold Coast - Help / Advice needed

ChrisMagoo

Hi,

Me and my mother moved recently from England to Australia and so far it's mixed. I reckon I will struggle to fit in. I started school recently and on the first day I was a bit of a loner. I must have social anxiety or something as I really don't like the idea of 'Just going up to someone' as I feared being rejected I think. I was bullied at points in my last school (Year 7 mainly) and I am not worried about it happening again, I just won't let it, I just don't know what to do. On my first day at school I found myself just walking around by myself at break, not really knowing what to do and when I was in class, I had some small conversations but nothing close to a friend yet.

Any advice / tip / someone wanting to talk?

- Chris

I think friendships take time to develop and it's harder when you're starting at a school were there may be already established friendships. Are there any interests that you have that the school run activities on e.g. science club, sports etc., There's usually a school advisor/chaplain/year co-coordinator who are good to go to for advice. Sometimes it's just about keep making the little contacts in class/outside class. My daughters two best friends were girls who on her first day she didn't know, the choice was sit with them or sit with a table of boys - she chose the girls and they just got chatting.

Do not put up with being bullied - schools should take a very dim view of this.

Hi there, we have lived in the Gold Coast just over a year. My middle son who was 9 when we arrived, was very homesick for quite some time (lots of adults don't realise that children get homesick too) and parents, me included, assume that 'kids fit in quickly'. Like adults, of course, every young person is an individual and everyone's experience is different. Also, the culture and words people use here is different and takes time to get used to. We live on a complex with a shared pool and that has helped my children make friends. My son used to sit in the library on his own at play time because he found the heat hard to cope with and that meant he found it hard to make friends. This year he has got used to the heat and has lots of friends -all of this took time. Why don't you tell your Mum, too, that as a family, we joined an ex-pat group called Brits on the Gold Coast, everyone is very friendly and welcoming. We have family meet ups where you can meet other kids who have also emigrated from England. There are all kinds of social events going on, lots of stuff going on at Christmas! You can both meet people who understand exactly what you're talking about. Your Mum can PM me if she wants to join Brits on the Gold Coast. And well done for being honest about how you're feeling, its normal to feel anxious and like you don't fit in at first. Hope things improve for you soon.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

Me and my mother moved recently from England to Australia and so far it's mixed. I reckon I will struggle to fit in. I started school recently and on the first day I was a bit of a loner. I must have social anxiety or something as I really don't like the idea of 'Just going up to someone' as I feared being rejected I think. I was bullied at points in my last school (Year 7 mainly) and I am not worried about it happening again, I just won't let it, I just don't know what to do. On my first day at school I found myself just walking around by myself at break, not really knowing what to do and when I was in class, I had some small conversations but nothing close to a friend yet.

Any advice / tip / someone wanting to talk?

- Chris

Maybe speak with your teacher and ask if they can buddy you up with someone. Most schools to do that with new students. What school are you at BTW?