Moving to Perth

Guest Broonie

Guest Broonie

Hi

My husband and I are moving to perth on the 1st June. We have been looking at accommodation available and are quite interested in Hay Street or thereabouts. Does anyone know if this area is safe and decent?

As we haven't been to perth before and short term accommodation is looking really expensive so think we will take a chance on a lease in the city centre for 6 months until we get our bearings. We do not have jobs yet but are thinking worse case scenario and they are out of town we should still be able to get there from the city centre easier than staying in a suburb and have to go the other side of perth.

Any advice would be great, thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest downunderoutwest

Hi. Hay Street goes for miles so it depends where...there's not a lot happening in the city centre at night (although it is getting better) but you are right, it's a good location for travelling out to other areas. Distances are huge in Perth and it's no fun commuting to the other side of the city. Anywhere close to the centre would be a good bet too - South Perth or Victoria Park, for example. We're in Vic Park but are just about to move to East Perth which is nice and central and has its own restaurants/bars etc. It depends what you're after, really. Good nightlife/restaurants in Mount Lawley, Northbridge, East Perth, Subiaco, Fremantle; for affordable housing near the beach you've got to go miles out of town. I'd say if you don't have kids try the city life for a while and see how you get on!

Guest JLT

We were in Perth on our reccie at Christmas and stayed in the CBD for a few days on our way in and out. Personally, I wouldn't stay in the CBD but find something a little way out. Considering the transport system is cheap and quick, you can get out and about fairly quickly. We have 2 children so city living is a no no anyway but feel that if you can, you should do a shop around the suburbs because they are lovely. Good luck...I'm very jealous that we're not there yet!

Hi, we've been in Perth for nearly two years and when my husband first arrived his employer had arranged a temporary apartment just off Hay Street to get settled in while looking for somewhere for the longer term. To cut a long story short we moved to the northern suburbs which is very popular for many Brits but didn't suit us so we moved back to an apartment in West Perth so we're close to the city and also Subiaco so best of both. To answer your question Hay Street is very long but suggest maybe, if what we describe maybe suits you, take a look at Altona Street, Colin Street, Outram Street and maybe Kings Park Road which are all either accessed from Hay Street or very close by. You'll be close walking distance to the Red Cat free bus service. Hay Street and West Perth are very quiet after working hours as so much of the area is office premises but it suits us fine. We have two young children, the park is close by, there are enough shops and cafes to get by and Subiaco, which is much livelier after dark, is a 20 minute walk or a short drive. Hope this helps.

Guest Broonie

Thanks for all your advice, we have been speaking to a few people now and we are now really looking at East Perth. Close to the city centre but also good bus links everywhere.

We will def look to buy in the suburbs in a year once we get our bearings but thinking the city life may be good place to settle for the first year while we get settled into jobs and find our way around.

Thanks for all your advise though its really helped, hope to see you all soon

Guest fuvern

Whatever u do don't move to Northbridge, good nightlife but very dangerous. Alot of abbo's who are out in gangs. My nephew had both his arms broken in the middle of Northbridge at night in front of a crowd all because of a kebab on the floor and a comment. Night clubs are good but amongst brothels and strip clubs.

Vic Park has alot of homes west so alot of abbos (indigenous australians). Nice area though.

Lived in Fremantle all my life and LOVE it. It has its coffee strip which u could sit and watch the colourful people of fremantle entertain u. Yes u will be entertained.

Then u can wander down to the esplanade where there is usually some type of festival on or blessing of the fleet. fireworks etc... depending on when u are there.

Liliana.

Archived