Perth crime statistics

Guest paulandtara

Guest paulandtara

Does anyone know any accurate crime figures for the Perth suburbs, I have been looking into it as I have heard that WA has the highest burglary rate in Aus, and also has its fair share of assaults.

I have found these statistics from the WA police website (have just listed the 5 areas that we are thinking of moving to):-

Aubin Grobe - assaults 0/1000 people burglaries 2/1000 houses

Ballajura - assaults 8/1000 burglaries 20/1000

Kinross - assaults 2/1000 burglaries 5/1000

The Vines - assaults 1/1000 burglaries 9/1000

Wanneroo - assaults 4/1000 burglaries 12/1000

These results were taken for the year 2008, they seem low to me considering the things I've heard, the UK average for assault is 8/1000 people and burglaries 13/1000 people.

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is an accurate account of crime levels in Perth?

Thanks

Paul

I'm not saying that Australia doesn't have crime, it does, but I agree with Julia, in the 2 years that we've been here, I have to say that the crime rate is relatively low, our local free paper has a section for crime stats from the police and they're relatively low. I does depend where you live too, like UK some areas have a higher proportion than others.

Guest paulandtara

Thanks Julia and Ali, I am spending so much time on Poms in Oz at the moment because I want to find out as much as possible to give us the best chance out there. However some people seem to paint a pretty bad picture of the crime in Perth making it out to be like the Bronx! Saying that the statistics for Northbridge do say that you have a 10% chance of being assaulted if you spend an evening there, good job there is so much more to do in Perth than go and get drunk, unlike the UK!

Guest Guruju
Thanks Julia and Ali, I am spending so much time on Poms in Oz at the moment because I want to find out as much as possible to give us the best chance out there. However some people seem to paint a pretty bad picture of the crime in Perth making it out to be like the Bronx! Saying that the statistics for Northbridge do say that you have a 10% chance of being assaulted if you spend an evening there, good job there is so much more to do in Perth than go and get drunk, unlike the UK!

Totally agree with you PaulandTara re Northbridge. I lived in New York for 6 months and I can hand on heart say Perth is not like the Bronx.

I think part of the problem is that the WA media reports crimes that would not even rate a mention in the UK or USA because they are so frequent and "normal". Here even average crime can make the front page! So it tends to distort by giving the impression crime is high. I should know I was in the UK police force for 8 years and know that much crime is never reported in the media in my experience of working in a major city in the UK.

There is crime, sometimes there is a really shocking crime, in Perth but my opinion after 15 years living here is that its low level crime in the main.

As I have said in another post Perth is less easy to segment into bad and good areas - even the Jutland Parade exclusive street in a multi million dollar suburb along the river had a shoot out - a bikie owned one of the houses!

Regards

Julia

When i returned to the UK after we had filmed Wanted Down Under, i was quite worried about Burgalry statistics as they did seem quite high (i am talking about Brisbane though not Perth). I also noticed they made headlines here which just added to my worry.

After being here nearly 3 years im far from worried, i know of only a handful of Burglarys around here, i think unlike the UK people do report even the smallest incident, this ultimately affects the statistics. I also believe the reason such 'small' crime makes the media is because there isnt the same amount of 'major' crime to report that there is in the UK. I am not saying crime doesnt exist as it sure as hell does, but coming from the UK i think you will find there is little to worry about.

Cal x

Crime in in City or Town Centre will be higher than other places when you add alcohol into the mix lol. Minor crime is reported here, the bit in the local paper normally takes up a couple of paragraphs tops

Crime in WA is a drop in the Ocean compared to the UK. If someone drops 50c round here and it's not handed in at the Cop Shop it ends up on Sky News.

There is some crime. After all, there's a million and a half people here. But it's nowhere near the level of the UK. There is some alcohol related aggro but my experience is if you don't want to get involved, you don't. People seem to go at it themselves rather than target innocents.

The Northbridge issue has been blown out of proportion. Sure, there is the odd scuffle there at 4am on a Saturday or Sunday morning. But, tell me where there isn't in the UK? Using these incidents as examples, you would not be able to leave your front door in the UK.

Guest Andy
Crime in WA is a drop in the Ocean compared to the UK. If someone drops 50c round here and it's not handed in at the Cop Shop it ends up on Sky News.

There is some crime. After all, there's a million and a half people here. But it's nowhere near the level of the UK. There is some alcohol related aggro but my experience is if you don't want to get involved, you don't. People seem to go at it themselves rather than target innocents.

The Northbridge issue has been blown out of proportion. Sure, there is the odd scuffle there at 4am on a Saturday or Sunday morning. But, tell me where there isn't in the UK? Using these incidents as examples, you would not be able to leave your front door in the UK.

Who blew the Northbridge issue out of proportion?:biglaugh:

Archived