Mandurah Schools???

Guest Jofiss

Guest Jofiss

Hi all,

we are new to this whole forum thinghy but would really appreciate some help. We are hopefully moving WA at the end of the year, with the probability (just waiting for confirmation) of jobs in Mandurah, but I have read loads of different stuff, including that the secondary schools are not so good and there is nothing to do for teenagers. Just wondering if anybody knows wht there is for kids and teenagers and what the schools are like and of course the best suburbs?

any help welcomed.

ta

hi ,we moved here nearly 2months ago,my children ages are 11yrs,14yrs,18yrs.

i would say schooling for this age group (11yrs) the schools seem nice,very friendly,our sons school is only 18 mths old and is called south halls head ,which is in seascapes (lovely area close to beach!!)he has settle in well made a few friends.

14yrs school well what can i say ,not like the UK high schools,i think they have a few disruption's in lower sets(lucky she is in top sets),but i think they all have their faults!!! ( she is in halls head community college one of the better public schools).you have to go to the school which is in your catchment area as well(were you are renting)or private school,which our daughters name is on a waiting list of 60 pupils for her year!.

there are parks around and skate parks,the beach, cinemas,and that's about it,but you do not see children playing out at night?,only young ones on bikes or parks after school!!

then the 18 yr ,he stays in or goes to the beach he has not made any friends and is trying to find a job (any job )sent off 30 + resumes 2 interviews up to yet!.

mandurah is a lovely place to settle if you like the slow life,but be careful which suburb you pick,if you pick a good one then the schools SHOULD BE OK!!!

halls head is nice in the newer parts,seascapes,these areas are over the bridge,the other end you have lakelands,meadow springs,mandora bay,keep away from coodanoop,greenfields (someparts)??,but email me in a few more months and i will let you know more about the area as i said only been here 7 weeks ,but loving it, p.s need plenty of money here in wa specially if no jobs hubby has not started work yet setting up as a self employed mobile diesel machanic from paula all

Guest Jofiss

Thanks for the info, I'll take you up on contacting you in a few months. Glad the young ones seem to have settled. we were thinking of Halls Head or Lakelands mainly anyway. Some house sales person tried to put us off Meadow Springs, don't know if there is just cause for that or he just didn't have any property to show us.

Hope all goes well on the work front soon.

we ear marked lakelands when hubby came over last october it is alovely spot (cannot get daughter in school there on waitng list even if rented a property in lakelands still have to wait ,so put childrens names down now YOU PAY $50 to be put on the waiting list). it is also a drive to the beach,which ment even driving the older son to the beach!!!.

so seascapes is ideal if you like the beach style of living.me and hubby go down the beach most nights for awalk or drink watch the waves and beautiful sun sets,and daughter and son have walked to mandurah ,which you could not do in lakelands because of the freeway.people do not realise the distances places are away from each other speak soon paula

• 2 months later...
Guest Pingu
Thanks for the info, I'll take you up on contacting you in a few months. Glad the young ones seem to have settled. we were thinking of Halls Head or Lakelands mainly anyway. Some house sales person tried to put us off Meadow Springs, don't know if there is just cause for that or he just didn't have any property to show us.

Hope all goes well on the work front soon.

Hi,

I know this is a bit old now, but just thought I'd give you my thoughts on suburbs. We have been here for nearly 17 months now. We rented for 15 months in Meadow Springs. Can't imagine, from personal experience, why the sales person would want to put you off there. We liked it. However, we now have our own place in Lakelands, which we do prefer. Can't say why, exactly except that it is more open, but the majority of Lakelands is still yet to be built on. So all in all, speaking from my own experiences, either of these suburbs would be a good place to live, but I do prefer Lakelands. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Hi, me and my family (husband John who is a joiner and 3 kids aged 15, 13 & 10) are moving to Mandurah at end of Nov. When do the schools break up for Xmas - will I have time to register them for the new accademic year which i think startsi Feb 10?? Also does anyone know what the job situation is like for a joiner?? Thanks x

Guest navid52

Hi All,

Thanks for info,

We are going to move to Mandurah by Jan 2010 and I need some info about private primary schools. I am not sure but i think our visa will not support free education and if I have to pay for education of my son(8 years old), I think I have to find a good private school.

Just in case anyone knows about Mandurah Primary school?

I read somewhere that it is a good school.

Hi All,

Thanks for info,

We are going to move to Mandurah by Jan 2010 and I need some info about private primary schools. I am not sure but i think our visa will not support free education and if I have to pay for education of my son(8 years old), I think I have to find a good private school.

Just in case anyone knows about Mandurah Primary school?

I read somewhere that it is a good school.

I'm not too clued up on the "private" schools around the Mandurah area, but you're pretty safe with most of the private schools over here. As for the "state" schools........ well, my 10yr old son goes to Mandurah Primary and we are moving him! They really don't know what they are doing there!! There is North Mandurah Primary, but to be honest I haven't heard anything good about that one either! Mandurah High School, again, has an awful reputation! Sorry to be blunt, but I think that unless you are sending your son to a private school then you would be better off perhaps looking a bit further up the coast. We are actually moving next month to Ardross, nearer to the city as it has some of the best state primary schools and 2 of the best state high schools in Perth! You do pay more to live in that area, but we think that the extra cost is worth my son having a good education. Hope I haven't put you off - Mandurah is a beautiful, stunning area. Just that the schools are not much cop!!

Best of luck with your move x

Lynn x

Guest navid52

Many Thanks Lynn,

As you see , we are very concerned about our son's education. We have to live in a regional area of WA for at least 2 years and work at least 1 year to comply with Permanent residency visa requirements. I am not sure if we will be able to find a good school in a regional area ( such as Peel region).

We also have no idea about which areas are good to settle.

There are lots of things to be done and we are quite confused!

We appreciate any infos from you.

Thanx again and looking forward for more advice.

Cheers,

Navid.

Guest TashChook

I moved to Mandurah just over a year ago, it took so ages to find the right school for my kids. I live in Lakelands but i ended up chosing a school in seascapes, Living Waters Lutheran College, its a privet school and its excellent, well worth the money, the only dissapointed is its only kindy - yr 7, so i have them enrolled in the Mandurah Baptist College in Lakelands when they enter high school.

I moved to Mandurah just over a year ago, it took so ages to find the right school for my kids. I live in Lakelands but i ended up chosing a school in seascapes, Living Waters Lutheran College, its a privet school and its excellent, well worth the money, the only dissapointed is its only kindy - yr 7, so i have them enrolled in the Mandurah Baptist College in Lakelands when they enter high school.

Thanks a lot,

I checked the school on the internet. It seems pretty good.

I am a little bit worried for my son starting the education in australia as my son is not native English speaker . I hope everything goes well.

My email address is Navid52@yahoo.com and it wil be appreciated to keep an email contact with me as I have many questions about moving to Mandurah.Would you please drop me an email?

All the best,

Navid.

hi i am a joiner living in lakelands not much work out here for what us uk people class as joiners there is either stick roofs (traditional) or kitchens but if you chose kitchens you tend to have to work in the factory too. i have gone in to fitting garage doors as i applied for over 100 jobs with no response. there is also internal doors which are a bit different as all the door casings are tin and fitted by the bricklayers.

• 3 months later...

Hi TashChook,

We are looking at schools for a move to Mandurah, can you tell me from your experience whats it like attending private school in WA. As we are moving to the other side of the world i want the kids to make friends and have friends over after school and to play out with etc. We dont tend to get that in the UK with private schools as the kids all tend to live to far way etc. Whats it like over there?

• 5 years later...
Many Thanks Lynn,

As you see , we are very concerned about our son's education. We have to live in a regional area of WA for at least 2 years and work at least 1 year to comply with Permanent residency visa requirements. I am not sure if we will be able to find a good school in a regional area ( such as Peel region).

We also have no idea about which areas are good to settle.

There are lots of things to be done and we are quite confused!

We appreciate any infos from you.

Thanx again and looking forward for more advice.

Cheers,

Navid.

Hi Navid .it seems that we have many things in common ,The same visa and situations .I saw this message from you tonight but I guess now you passed all those hard days ,but we are still in the first steps of the road .Would you please let me know about the schools and renting a house in Mandurah ? We wil be there after a month from now .We got 475 visa .Thnks for your help .

• 1 month later...
hi ,we moved here nearly 2months ago,my children ages are 11yrs,14yrs,18yrs.

i would say schooling for this age group (11yrs) the schools seem nice,very friendly,our sons school is only 18 mths old and is called south halls head ,which is in seascapes (lovely area close to beach!!)he has settle in well made a few friends.

14yrs school well what can i say ,not like the UK high schools,i think they have a few disruption's in lower sets(lucky she is in top sets),but i think they all have their faults!!! ( she is in halls head community college one of the better public schools).you have to go to the school which is in your catchment area as well(were you are renting)or private school,which our daughters name is on a waiting list of 60 pupils for her year!.

there are parks around and skate parks,the beach, cinemas,and that's about it,but you do not see children playing out at night?,only young ones on bikes or parks after school!!

then the 18 yr ,he stays in or goes to the beach he has not made any friends and is trying to find a job (any job )sent off 30 + resumes 2 interviews up to yet!.

mandurah is a lovely place to settle if you like the slow life,but be careful which suburb you pick,if you pick a good one then the schools SHOULD BE OK!!!

halls head is nice in the newer parts,seascapes,these areas are over the bridge,the other end you have lakelands,meadow springs,mandora bay,keep away from coodanoop,greenfields (someparts)??,but email me in a few more months and i will let you know more about the area as i said only been here 7 weeks ,but loving it, p.s need plenty of money here in wa specially if no jobs hubby has not started work yet setting up as a self employed mobile diesel machanic from paula all

Hi we we are staying in lakelands for 3 weeks as wanting to move to mandurah so it's nice to read what your saying . I have one question please . You talk about school how do the fees work ? I can't seem to find the right info it's all saying different things ? Thanks Jo

Archived