Moving to Perth this August

Guest tiff

Hi all this is my first post. My hubby and I move to Perth this August from North London. Unfortunately my 17 year old son wants to stay behind to finish his education. Although I got him a visa in case he wants to come out sooner. Already I am devastated about him not moving over, but I have booked him a flight out for Christmas....

My hubby is a paramedic, and I have also been a paramedic for 12 years, but pleased to say I am retiring to start my own business. So all change here.:biglaugh:

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. :spinny:

Guest mandy1

Hi Tiff

A big welcome! It must be really hard to not have your son come with you but at 17 he's old enough to make his own chices. Lets hope when he visits & sees Perth that he'll perhaps change his mind

Mandy x

Guest Pingpongpom

Hi tiff..:smile:..welcome to PIO and all the best with your move to Perth..we leave behind 19 year old twins so understand where your coming from..

Tess:cute:

Thanks PPP.:spinny: It certainly is tough, the guilt the worry etc. But I know it's now or never for us to go.:unsure:

Guest diesellisle

Hi Tiff,

Welcome to PiO! We are headed for Perth too and hoping to get there for March 2009 - luckily our three boys are too young to have much of a say in the move...our eldest keeps saying that he has been having dreams about Australia..lol! My OH Jeff is a nurse and has a job waiting for him when we get there.

I don't envy your situation with your son, maybe once he has had the chance to visit he will change his mind about making the move :)

Take care and good luck with everything.

Lisa X

Guest Verina An Dave

HI Tiff we have 4 kids and only the younger one is coming, she will be 17. One of them not coming is our Tiff!!! We will be in Perth October this year. You know you will see him at Xmas mine not coming over for visit for about 2 years!! Hope your son likes it and will stay with you.

Thanks Diesel and Verina, and good luck with your moves. I cannot believe how stressful it is.... I am bringing over my pregnant horse and my dog, and that in itself is a feat, logistically.

Still, I am sure we will cope, albeit with less hair then we started with.:wacko:

Guest emi-great

Hi Guys

I would say that the teenagers have the hardest time with a move to Australia but once they meet a group of friends they are usually OK.. Life here is very different to a teenagers life in the UK & until they find friends to go out with life can be really hard for them

Maybe since there are several families who seem to be moving around the same time with teens of a similar age you should get one of them to arrange a night a week where they meet up & have a chat. We did this on our site with my eldest son (who has lived here several years) arranging a night at the bowling alley, another the following week at the local pool hall & a couple of other nights at various venues including the "trotting" at Gloucester Park. This worked well for the new arrivals & they formed some good friendships which have endured since.

I am sure there must be someone on this site with teens who have been here a while who could arrange something similar.

Once the older teens get into the different night life here they seem to like it & find they dont spend all their time in the pubs & have fun at other places too.

Eve

Emi-Great - Home - Short Term Rental Accommodation for migrants emigrating from England to Rockingham, Mandurah, Port Kennedy, Warnbro and Perth

Guest montbrehain

Hello tiff , well after months of planning we think we may be ready to head to Perth about August/Sept. I have a soon of 22 who is doing his own thing,but intends coming with us . Our daughters are 18 and 16. 1 has just finished college and the other just finished school. Both are keen to go (or at least tell me they are:err:.) The elder one has been looking at WA university's on the net and the younger the beaches ! I have tried not to scare them and tell them that we are going forever and that they can return whenever they like . Luckily we have friends or family they can stay with should they wish to return. Its a big life changing step for teens , but I have done my hardest to instil a sense of adventure in them . Now if they had all the hassle their parents have in sorting everything out :wacko:. They may think twice. good luck "MO"

Guest jogrant3232

Hi Tiff

We are hoping to go to WA Sept/Oct. Just started phoning round for quotes for the shipping and dog. Im sure once you have left and your Son comes to visit he wont want to come back....

Thanks guy's. I really, REALLY appreciate the responses via the board and PM. Hey JoGrant, we got a good quote from excess baggage, by sea- 6 tea chest's 2 bikes and 2 book boxes £583.

Archived